Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Rangers 2 is better than all the shit RPGs you like

Wait, the stuff you store on the planet is counted as goods on the planet and affects the local prices?

I don't think that's the case, or if it was at some point then it was changed in later versions. I've tried to make several trips to store several times my ship capacity on a planet in order to sell it all at once at an inflated price and sometimes the AI traders get there inbetween and the price tumbles as they sell.

It's definitely always a good idea to buy luxuries whenever you see them cheap and keep them for a rainy day. Good prices appreciate faster than you'll gain interest in a bank, so its a good investment.

I never really tried to manipulate the markets like that. Generally the only time I trade is when I can't get missions on a planet and decide to go somewhere else, and decide to make a few bucks on the way.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It does kind of work. If you have money to spare, don't sell immediately. Create artificial shortage n cash out when it booms.
Also, how do you actually get Keller in the Blackhole? I got the translation research done but I cannot radio him.
I may be missing something since I finished it 3 years ago and now I cannot recall what I'm supposed to do.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Keller eventually jumps into the black hole it came in from after you whack him around for a while, IIRC. You don't have to do anything special to get him in there.

tindrli

Arcane
the one and only thing that i dont like about SR 2 is that the game is short,.. too damn short.. i wanted to keep playing it like forever but once you obtained those 1000+ engines its over :( and then after couple of months HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!

It does kind of work. If you have money to spare, don't sell immediately. Create artificial shortage n cash out when it booms.
Also, how do you actually get Keller in the Blackhole? I got the translation research done but I cannot radio him.
I may be missing something since I finished it 3 years ago and now I cannot recall what I'm supposed to do.

Blackhole isn't too hard with a few tries. Missiles are pretty good in hyperspace too, in my Nightmare difficulty games the only way I've managed to survive is by killing Keller really early in the Black Hole and then the other 2 dominators seem to back off and start fighting with each other. Fly backwards while shooting to avoid taking damage. You'll also have to figure out the spawn timer on the one HP bonus in the center of the arena and camp it like its UT/Quake, you want to get it to stay alive and ensure Keller doesn't. Once you win you have some dialog and if you choose the right options he dies (or he leaves the galaxy or something, can't remember which).

You can kill him before he jumps into the blackhole, but that takes a basically perfect ship setup and lots of allies to output that much damage.

The science station research probably does something to help, I've never tried it for Keller.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I don't really know how to pursue him into the blackhole, it seems like he'll just warp back into it and the hole closes behind him.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I don't really know how to pursue him into the blackhole, it seems like he'll just warp back into it and the hole closes behind him.

Did you beat him up? He goes into the hole after receiving damage, the point is that you don't destroy him (though you can) out in normal space.

You enter the blackhole he comes from and then fight him in the hole.

Don't need to attack him, simply diving right in should work.

The game looks o fun. The thing tha stands out to me is wars are unscripted. And you CAN LOSE given enough bad choices. I don't mean die, I mean you can get in a longterm situation where YOU"LL LOSE. This is so completely at odds against most games that it stands out from the crowd. Most of them are either drool worthy or with enough time you'll always win.

But is it a good idea? How the f should I know? All I know is it makes it tremendously attractive. When I used to play X2: The Threat I eventually got bored because nothing happened. The universe was static. No wars. No actual threats. I looked for mods, but either they were too bloated or they were too simplistic. I wanted to make a mod, but lost interest. The idea behind the mod was the enemies would continually grow in power indefinitely and you WILL LOSE eventually. But a good mod is far more than just an idea. Just increasing the numbers to make the enemy tougher is not enough. It needs to be dynamic and compelling.

That's not all which stands out. Space Rangers has mcuh more to offer, all in one game. Now, throwing bunches of random things of low quality into a game doesn't make it "stand out", so it depends. It depends if enough players want it that way.

If this was avaialble on GoG a few years ago I would have played. Even if was the first one! But now? Idk. I don't have time to hrow at every game. I mean, there're so many games I want to play. I'm already keeping a long list on hte backburner.

So many fun games but not enough time in life to play them all.

Last edited:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
IMO, this is the one game you should be throwing time at. Lots, and lots, and lots of time at. Most likely bonding with family time.

oscar

Arcane
As lucrative as they were there's no way in hell I was playing another one of those RTS missions past the tutorial one.

tindrli

Arcane
As lucrative as they were there's no way in hell I was playing another one of those RTS missions past the tutorial one.
Yeah... I get the idea but man it just wasn't very fun.

well i did play it despise the fact that i hate RTS. what i usually do is pump out charisma ASAP and pray that the planet will have land missions. Most of them have specific strategy to win so they are not that hard at all. Beside that very fast engine coz most of the missions are Currier type

Yeah... I get the idea but man it just wasn't very fun.

well i did play it despise the fact that i hate RTS. what i usually do is pump out charisma ASAP and pray that the planet will have land missions. Most of them have specific strategy to win so they are not that hard at all. Beside that very fast engine coz most of the missions are Currier type
I'd just hope for text missions. TSO GUD.

Unwanted
th1s game is ..... good. i love to fuck up the dominat0r`s. the gaalaxy is harsh ... and cruel! just how I like it ... heh!!

I enjoyed the RTS missions. Lots of them put you in weird scenarios that take some kind of strategy to cope with. I like how the bots have quirky movement and attack patterns, requiring micro to use properly (opposite of RTSs like SC2 where fucking everything works perfectly with just an attack-move command). I like how you often have to fight on multiple fronts at the same time, dividing your attention. I like how you have to methodically hold the line against one enemy while pushing into another opponent who is currently weakened, often in alternation. I like how, even though you'll use the same 2 or 3 robots 99% of the time, the enemy's quasi-random robot generation algorithm means you have to keep a close visual watch out for trouble makers.

Not going to defend it as a masterfully crafted RTS game that could stand on its own. If you're going to liberate 5 systems in a row I certainly wouldn't want to play 5 30-min RTS missions in a row, but its a fun diversion once in a while. It scratches an itch that most RTS games don't, and I think it has a certain amount of depth that the RTS genre usually doesn't offer.

th1s game is ..... good. i love to fuck up the dominat0r`s. the gaalaxy is harsh ... and cruel! just how I like it ... heh!!
It's funny (or scary) but of all the things people could say, this is the one thing which gets my interest.

It's like if you want someone to like you, well you punch them and they immediately want to hug you. /boggle

Not going to pay this tomorrow, but it has a place in my favorites list. Probably hte revamped version.

Norfleet

the one and only thing that i dont like about SR 2 is that the game is short,.. too damn short.. i wanted to keep playing it like forever but once you obtained those 1000+ engines its over :( and then after couple of months HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!
Well, you could simply go berserk and start blowing away everything in sight. Their corpses have the best loot, anyway. Become #1 on the charts through the simple and direct expedient of killing everyone above and near you. Get the entire galaxy wiped down to a single system, then get paid to save it all again. It is, however, true that once the galaxy achieves critical mass, it will basically save itself without any input from you. Of course, your input can be negative.

tindrli

Arcane
Well, you could simply go berserk and start blowing away everything in sight. Their corpses have the best loot, anyway. Become #1 on the charts through the simple and direct expedient of killing everyone above and near you. Get the entire galaxy wiped down to a single system, then get paid to save it all again. It is, however, true that once the galaxy achieves critical mass, it will basically save itself without any input from you. Of course, your input can be negative.

tried that as well....

Thal

Prophet
Best ways to make cash early on are quests which yield a lot bigger rewards than trading since you need money to make money from trading. However, the amount of cash you earn from quests rises throughout the game, so it might be a good idea not to do everything at once.

Money becomes a big issue in the late game, because the repair costs are tied to the value of your equipment. Battles against dominators willl generally cost you money, do to this. Early on, you can join battles and just avoid combat scavenge the remains (get a big cargo hold and a powerful gripper),

Don't even think about bounty hunting until you get decent rig under you and some skills. Piracy might doable.

You get more cash, if you choose a higher difficulty in courier missions, so get a fast engine asap. It also helps you to outrun pirates, or catch them. Also, get weapons, since pirates will try to rob you esp. Weak weapons with long range are not that useful, since you can't actually down anything with them.

Missile Launcher is one of the best weapons in the game and available from the get go.

Difficulty level matters a great deal in this game. Too low, and dominators are defeated without your aid. Too high, and they'll curbstomp the galaxy before you can do anything about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom