Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space rangers i dont get why is it a good game

Emily

Arcane
So i started space ranges, since i love space games. And the premise seemed perfect. Upgrade ship, travel to other sectors, fight the powah,trade,get reputation, etc..
However i could never get into the game
First thing i didn't like is that as far as i can see, there is no tactics in combat... I really dont get it, there is nothing to do other then chose what wep to fire ( fire both why not)... Maybe i am missing something?
Second thing i could never find something interesting in quests, they were all fed ex-ish..
Third thing, there is no depth to ship management, There is no reactor, no shield draining energy, no weapon draining energy.. Basically only thing you have is the cargo hold and how much shit can you mont, but nothing out of that... i am surprised why would you put such a shallow system in TURN based space combat..
Compare that to Space pirates and zombies, which had a ton of shit to put on and off and to manage.
Now as for the RTS parts and TA i dont consider them something i would like to do in space game, it is great that they are in there, but i dont want them honestly. I would rather get money and rep using traditional means...

laclongquan

Arcane
You just started, yeah?

You got no spare money to buy shit yet. Even the reload for a missile launcher is a big deal at start. You have to trade quite long to get enough dough to spree.

Stuffs havent been invented yet. Timeline, as well as your donation (money AND other shits) will affect inventions. Hell, the strength of each race can affect what will be invented.

You havent found shits yet. Loots can be had from the battlefield, from planet harvesting, from wormhole exploring, etc...

We are not even talking about the trading aspect of the game yet.

Keep playing!

Emily

Arcane
I had some spare money, but there was nothing to buy..
Tell me btw is there any tactics to combat? Am i missing something maybe, i just found myself right clicking, and firing all weapons, since i couldnt find anything more optimised then that.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Yeah, combat feels a bit lacking after some time, but I managed to put a lot of hours into SR 2 nevertheless. It's just one of those games which urge you to play just one more turn, explore one more planet until you find it's 3 AM and you totally need to get some sleep.

And don't forget about text adventures. They are pretty fun.

laclongquan

Arcane
If I remember correctly, the right trading tactic is to visit a station and use the info tool to search for price at certain system. By limit the distance the same as in your engine's range, you know the correct market price in a reasonable travel time. Find the cheapest and nearest luxury goods, or medicine. Get a full hull. Now do the search thing again to find where is in need of your trade goods. Jump then trade. Do that a few times and you will have enough money to start upgrading.

Warlike members here will advise you to jump to battlefield to scavenge things... Not my cuppa. If I get near battlefields, it will be as full fledge combatant, not vulture.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
^ He's talking about combat and having too much money. You are talking about trading and making money. o_O
Trading is just self-created fed ex.
You can just let the game run for years then start playing when the stuff gets unlocked, the money you get is scaled with time as well.
There are also bounty missions but there isn't much fun in that either (fed ex with guns).
Or just focus on eliminating the baddies.
Ship management... swap guns and artifacts depending on the circumstances.
Tactics... kiting the dumb AI if you are outgunned. If you have big enough guns just click on them like you said.

The dynamic world and the TA is what I like about this game.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
^ Maybe, but this is what I read:

You got no spare money to buy shit yet. Even the reload for a missile launcher is a big deal at start. You have to trade quite long to get enough dough to spree.
You: Make money to buy stuff.
I had some spare money, but there was nothing to buy..
He: Too much money not enough stuff to buy.
If I remember correctly, the right trading tactic is to visit a station and use the info tool to search for price at certain system. Jump then trade. Do that a few times and you will have enough money to start upgrading.
Warlike members here will advise you to jump to battlefield to scavenge things... Not my cuppa. If I get near battlefields, it will be as full fledge combatant, not vulture.
You: How to trade/scavenge to make money.

Unless you meant he should wait until new stuff gets unlocked, then trade so he can afford the new stuff. Or trading instead of fighting/questing.
Tell me btw is there any tactics to combat? Am i missing something maybe, i just found myself right clicking, and firing all weapons, since i couldnt find anything more optimised then that.
The odd thing is that you keep pushing him to trade, when he doesn't talk about making money nor trading as an alternative to questing/combat.
???

Morkar Left

Damn newfags and their declining opinions! SR2 is great.

More serious; SR2 is a genre mix. It excels at nothing except a pretty reactive and dynamic universe with attacks and counterattacks, invaded systems who change owners, traders doing their business while pirates attack them. Ships are persistent each with a unique captain who remembers you etc. You can climb up your faction, found your own stations, hire wingmen and take either part in invasions, invasions defense or even lead counterattacks. Or you just ignore the chaos around you and focus on trade, scavenging and pirating. On top of that you get a great ease of use and funny textadventures.

The different gameplay parts could be better interconnected (using your pc stats in textadventures, buy personal equipment for textadventures, buy and equip your personal mech similar to your ship and use it for the rts parts or in space like calculon etc.) but otherwise an excellent genre blend.

laclongquan

Arcane
Spare money, chap, not rich. From what I gathered, he's just several month old in game. He have not enough for a shopping spree: hull, engine, weapons (missile/laser/etc...), or upgrade yet. And trying to scavenge the frontline battlefields at this time is an excercise in danger.

When we are just some months old in game, we are, in game's term, space-rats. Which is why doing trade is the best in term of effiency and long view.

Of course, that's my way of playing. Impatient gamers may not agree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom