Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpaceVenture - Space Quest spiritual successor by Two Guys from Andromeda

Jackalope

Arcane
I've not been following closely the development of this game, kinda lost interest after watching some test videos about ships landing - I really don't care about ships landing, I care about puzzles and story and stuff like that. Just show me a black screen and play the sound of a ship landing, instead of spending resourses and time on animating that. I assume it took some time and efford, otherwise why even put it in your updates?

And now this last update shows me even more side stuff no one cares about. An entire Cluck Yegger game, which doesn't sound like something I'm interested in. And TV commercials my character can watch on the couch. Wait, isn't this an adventure game? Did I miss the memo?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Holy crap, the release date is now November 30, 2016: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/1367531

This update was written by Mark Crowe, Scott Murphy, and Chris Pope together.

We’ve got quite a lot of big news in this update. Depending on how you look at things, some of what we tell you will seem like fantastical amazingly exciting news, and some.. not so much. Ultimately, we have thought long and hard on everything, and have decided on how we should best proceed with the project. This update will help you understand how we are proceeding. Before you jump to any conclusions, yes the project is still going strong and no we are not broke! Figured we should go ahead and get that out of the way.

HOW THIS YEAR HAS GONE FOR THE TEAM AND THE PROJECT

The year 2015 has been an extra rough year for us all as a whole. Not in a game development sort of way, but in a personal way, which has affected the development of the game.

Eleven years ago Scott moved to Alabama to take care of his mother. There has been a lot of ups and downs he has had to endure during this time in his life, but over the past year, his mom took a major turn for the worse and developed a serious case of Alzheimer's. Being the sole caregiver for his mom, he has pretty much had to dedicate every waking moment to making sure she was getting proper treatment for her condition. The whole process has been both physically and mentally draining for him. Understandably this has left Scott with little to no time to work on the project with the team.

A couple of months back tragedy struck as Scott’s mother passed away due to her condition. These past couple of months Scott has been in the process of pulling his life back together one day at a time. Scott has written a letter to all of those that would like more information regarding what’s been going on in his life. You can read it here

Though Mark has been hitting on all cylinders through the past year, he has also had limited amounts of time he could put into the project due to family issues as well.

The last couple years actually have been a crazy ride for Mark’s family, caring for elderly parents. But last fall their world was turned upside-down when a trip to the ER revealed that his dear wife had an abdominal ‘GIST’ tumor which proved to be malignant. She was immediately taken into emergency surgery where Doctors were able to successfully remove the tumor. It was incredibly fortunate that they caught it relatively early. Then began her long road of recovery and ongoing treatment. Thankfully, their story has had a happy outcome. But something like this certainly helps put your life priorities in order. Needless to say working on the game took a back seat for a while.

And even though Chris has also tried his best to put as much time as possible into the game, life has hit him hard as well. When the Kickstarter completed, Chris decided to drop the majority of his work with actors in order to focus on the game. This was totally possible given the time frame that we thought we’d have the game out. Needless to say, with the game taking longer than expected, Chris has had to take more work back on to pay the bills. He is still able to dedicate a huge portion of his time to the project and only has to take on work here and there, but it has still been a trying time in terms of pure project time. Again, we say all of this, not to make excuses, but to let you know that we are all real people that have had to deal with some hard real life issues. We hope you all can understand though that we are still going to finish this game out. We will get this game done, and it will be done with very high quality!

THE RELEASE DATE OF SPACEVENTURE(That’s right, I said “THE”)

November 30, 2016 will be the release date of SpaceVenture. Wait, why not 2015 like you guys said months ago you ask? Please see above. Based on how far along we are with SpaceVenture as a whole, we know we can complete the game by November of 2016. Especially now with life getting back to normal. Soon, Scott will be able to rejoin the project and we can proceed with all team members giving Spaceventure their full attention.

But....

EXCITING NEWS ABOUT CLUCK YEGGER

We have some pretty big news involving a portion of SpaceVenture that you all are going to get a chance to play over the next few weeks. We have mentioned quite a few times over the last couple of updates that we have been working on a section of SpaceVenture that has been planned since the beginning. Albeit the game design and mechanics didn’t come together until recently, but the story had been written.

A few months back, with Scott’s personal life having to be his focus, Mark and Chris decided to focus on the Cluck Yegger portion of SpaceVenture since it wasn’t going to require most of the team to have insane amounts of time. With Scott being unable to be part of the team, and various other members being tied up, it seemed to the be the perfect opportunity to shift the focus to a part of SpaceVenture that was going to be a different experience than anything we had put together so far.

After spending a few months working on the artwork, game mechanics, programming and all, as it turns out, the Cluck Yegger portion of SpaceVenture evolved into a really fun mini game that parodies a very popular game series circulating around the appstorosphere(totally not a made up word). We even gave the Cluck’s mini game a name.

270b0671b75ee4f355b2d6b9407f3506_original.jpg

We know you all are chomping at the bit wanting to get your hands on the full game. We also know that the only thing that will quench your thirst for SpaceVenture, is the full game. However, putting all that to the side, we have made a decision to release ‘Cluck Yegger: Escape From The Planet Of The Poultroid’ to the public very soon. How soon? We are in the process of beta testing and polishing right now, so you can expect to hear from us on it over the next couple of weeks.

A Five Nights at Freddy's parody!

HOW WILL BACKERS PLAY THE GAME

As mentioned above, we are planning to release the game to the public and hope to bring some more money into the SpaceVenture project as a whole. We are not broke, but having more income would help us bring in a few more artists which in turn, would help move the project along faster. Don’t worry, we got you covered! We will be giving our $15 and up backers DRM free access to the Cluck Yegger game on the following three platforms:

• Windows
  • Macintosh OSX
  • Linux
What about public release of the game?

The release of the Cluck Yegger game is two fold. We want to give you all a chance to enjoy something from the SpaceVenture game ahead of time, but we also hope to bring some money into the project without having to ask more people like you fine folks to donate it. To start, we are going to try and get the game greenlit on Steam as well as publish it on some of the other game store outlets. Once the computer versions of the game hits, we are going to rework the game to come out for the iPad and Android tablets. We may eventually release the game on smartphones as well.

Keep in mind that once the Cluck game releases, only a very small part of the SpaceVenture team will continue to focus on getting it on the other platforms, everyone else will be shifting gears to wrapping the full game.

What if backers want access to the Steam and other platform versions of the Cluck Yegger game?

Backers will get full DRM free access to the Windows, Macintosh, and Linux version on a private backer only download outlet. In order to get the other platform versions of the game, backers would need to purchase those on those online stores. This would be greatly appreciated and is an awesome way to show a little more love to the project. But if not, we totally understand, the DRM free versions you get access to are full versions of the game and will hopefully give you some enjoyment and laughs.

You mentioned beta testing. Why aren’t backers getting to beta test?

The short answer is time. We will hold true to letting the $30 and up backers beta test the full SpaceVenture game as we get closer to our release date, however due to time, we have a small team of beta testers running through this mini game for play testing purposes. We hope you all will understand that we can’t afford to go through a lengthy beta testing process for the Cluck Yegger mini game, it not being a massively large game itself, the beta testing group is also being kept small in size.

Last edited:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Champing. It's "champing at the bit".

Drives me nuts when people do that.

Let's get in a grammar war, and say that champing and chomping mean the same thing, and while the idiom started out as "champing", chomping has become the preferred verbiage of the modern day. At least it has to us Americans, hallelujah, amen, praise the Lord, chomped be thy name.

Bt

Let's get in a grammar war, and say that champing and chomping mean the same thing, and while the idiom started out as "champing", chomping has become the preferred verbiage of the modern day. At least it has to us Americans, hallelujah, amen, praise the Lord, chomped be thy name.

Bt

Et tu, BT?

What next? advocating the usage of "irregardless"?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
At least they're honest about why the game is delayed. I don't mind really, I still believe they can deliver.

The mini-game thing, while sounding strange at the start, actually makes perfect sense. They're riding the FNaF coat tails, hopefully satiring it as they should, and bringing in extra money to the project.

If I can throw money at Scott Cawthon for rehashing FnAF for the umpteenth time, I can throw money at this.

Yeah but you're way more into FNaF than I think most Space Quest fans are. To me it looks like a fairly one-note joke that will just overstay its welcome/serve to irritate me on repeat playthroughs.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yeah but you're way more into FNaF than I think most Space Quest fans are. To me it looks like a fairly one-note joke that will just overstay its welcome/serve to irritate me on repeat playthroughs.

Sierra On-Line already learned to implement a "Skip Mini-Game" option in their adventure games, it shouldn't be hard to do the same here.

Can't wait for this game. The one adventure game I'm really looking forward to from the guys who really carried Sierra's weight.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Vote for this uninspired shit on Steam Greenlight!

Can somebody clue me in how this is supposed to be a parody as opposed to a straightforward Five Nights At Freddy's clone? I mean aside from the chicken protagonist.

Y'know, back when they did their Kickstarter the two guys didn't have a whole lot to show for. But at the time, I figured that 20 years out of the spotlight would be more than enough time to come up with cool ideas. But considering how things turned out for SpaceVenture thus far, I guess I was wrong. They don't seem to have any vision at all for this game, they're just making shit up as they go along and the stuff they're coming up with is underwhelming to say the least.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Actually as I already said in this topic what they've shown so far look really good and has the potential to be the best Sierra revival... if it ever gets released.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/1389599

Short update on what's happening

Hey everyone! We wanted to do a very short and sweet update to keep you all in the loop on a some news. First off, let me start by saying this. If you didn’t read the last update, this update will not make a lot of sense. PLEASE CLICK HERE to view and read the last update before proceeding.

Key points we’d like you all to know about:

• We are pre-releasing the Cluck Yegger mini game to all of you next week, Thursday October 29th. The pre-release will be DRM free and will be for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
  • If we can get the game on Steam, we will be giving Steam keys to backers as well as the DRM free versions of the game.
  • We need your help getting the game upvoted on Steam. Please visit http://CluckYegger.comand vote! This would really help us out a lot.
  • Though we are starting with Steam, we are looking into other outlets to sell the Cluck Yegger game.
  • All moneys made from the Cluck Yegger game will go towards speeding up production on SpaceVenture.
  • Although we’ve already been beta/bug testing the game, we’ll be taking feedback from backers on any found issues with the game.
This fun little mini game plays a key role in the plot of Spaceventure and will contain some surprises and revelations. But don’t worry, in SpaceVenture, it will not require you to beat the whole Cluck Yegger game to continue. We know that Cluck Yegger in The Planet of the Poultroids will not appeal to everyone, but any help you all can give in spreading the word would be very much appreciated. On top of voting, sharing CluckYegger.com with people is another great way to help as well.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Can somebody clue me in how this is supposed to be a parody as opposed to a straightforward Five Nights At Freddy's clone? I mean aside from the chicken protagonist.

Y'know, back when they did their Kickstarter the two guys didn't have a whole lot to show for. But at the time, I figured that 20 years out of the spotlight would be more than enough time to come up with cool ideas. But considering how things turned out for SpaceVenture thus far, I guess I was wrong. They don't seem to have any vision at all for this game, they're just making shit up as they go along and the stuff they're coming up with is underwhelming to say the least.

Uh...the Space Quest games were "made up as they went along", you know. And if there's anyone that should be able to parody a game, it's the Two Guys.

But that last reason is precisely why I'm going to back this. I want to know if they can still deliver the goods. This small "Fowl Night at Freddy's" should help answer that.

The comments section on Greenlight provide some mild drama, but one post hints that the Two Guys still might have what it takes:

Roger Wilco would hate this game.

Guys From Andromeda said:
yes he would totally hate this. Roger has had rough experiences with mutants in his past, but secondly, the mutant chickens(poultroids) leave nasty droppings that would need to be cleaned up, everywhere they go.

buzz

Arcane
You do know if this was anyone except some Sierra veteran that you keep ass-kissing, you'd get the fanboy tag in heartbeat, right?

It's such an obvious "Pls buy this FNAF clone guyse we're out of money :(" situation it's not even funny.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
You're right, on both counts.

But seeing as the Two Guys make up almost all that's left of the old gamer fanboy that I was, you'll forgive me if I go the extra distance to give them a chance.

Because that's all I'm saying right now: Give them a chance. And we're so fortunate that a week from now we'll have a good idea whether they deserve that chance or not.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Four and a half years to release an adventure game? Come on.

Space Quest IV was the first adventure game I discovered at age 8 or 9 in the form of a demo. I'm no longer sure how the demo had been distributed. Since then, I was obsessed with Sierra On-Line adventure games, had a subscription to InterAction magazine, got Space Quest, King's Quest, and Quest for Glory for birthdays and Christmas most years, etc. Everything about Space Quest was amazing to me: the jokes I didn't understand, the pop culture references I didn't understand, the schlock which was completely foreign and strange to me at the time, the quirkiness... amazing stuff, for a kid. I'd even put on rain boots and long dress slacks, make-believing I was Roger Wilco, or attack trees in the yard with sticks, pretending I was the hero from Quest for Glory.

There's no shortage of nostalgia for Sierra rattling around in my noggin.

Regrettably though, the "comeback" of old Sierra developers and franchises has been pretty pitiful so far. It's like they're lurching along on life support.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Regrettably though, the "comeback" of old Sierra developers and franchises has been pretty pitiful so far. It's like they're lurching along on life support.
Well one of the lead dev's mother slowly dying of Alzheimer's is something of a justification, though even so it's still taken longer than it probably should have.
We shall see, I suppose.

buzz

Arcane
I personally predicted that the Sierra people will have a hard time with releasing thing or get some really shoddy crap out there.
If Schafer with his much bigger budget and more recent experience in gamedev failed spectacularly, this stuff had any fighting chances.

Even if these games like Spaceventure and Hero-u turn out great, I think it's fair to say that the idea of kickstarter as the idealized savior of niche gaming and veteran devs is ultimately a dud.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I gotta be honest; if an old Sierra dev came back and made a game similar to what we make, I'd be more into it. I wonder if more people would too - a real pure nostalgia game. Make it exactly like a classic. Sometimes I think trying to appeal to new gamers is a folly.

Bt

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/1397704

The day of Cluck Yegger has arrived!

Hey everyone, just like I mentioned in the last update, If you didn’t read the update from Sept 30th, this update will not make a lot of sense. PLEASE CLICK HERE to view and read the last update before proceeding.

I'm super pleased to announce the backer only release of Cluck Yegger in Escape From The Planet of the Poultroids. That's right, we are not releasing this game publicly yet. You $15 and up backers are the first to get your hands on it.

Sometime today, you will receive an email via whatever email address is registered with Kickstarter. That email will come with download information. The downloads that will be available today will contain the following DRM free download types:

• Windows 32-bit and 64-bit support
  • Mac OSX 32-bit and 64-bit support
  • Linux 32-bit and 64-bit support
A little warning about the Linux version of the game. Though we have play tested it, we didn't have as many people to play test it as with the Windows and Mac versions. You guys that have Linux, we would love you to death if you could test it and give us feedback on how it plays. If it plays great, let us know! If it doesn't play great, let us know!

What about you Windows and Mac folks? We want your feedback as well! So how can you do that? Please do not do it here on Kickstarter. We will not be viewing Kickstarter for feedback on any errors or bugs you may be experiencing. We ask you not to post those here.

We have set up a forum in the official Guys From Andromeda community over at SpaceQuest.net.

Here is a direct link to that forum:

Cluck Yegger Feedback Forum on SpaceQuest.net

THE CLUCK YEGGER GAME SEEMS SCARY

There are some jumpscares in Cluck Yegger. I don't know if I can 100% classify the game as a real horror game, just an opinion. There isn't any blood, guts, ghosts, zombies. There are mutant chickens though, and they do like to jump up on the screen. Though the game was playtested with ages 10 and up, some of you may not enjoy this. We don't blame you, it's not everyone's thing to be jumped out at to a point of creating your own personal pant load. We did a little something special to help with this. You guys that played Space Quest 4(or 10 depending on how you look at it), might recall the following option when you went into the mall Monolith burger to get a job:

ee2eba1d2cf51a192e0ba22505b7c3fd_original.jpg

This allowed you to skip the arcade sequence that followed. Well we can't exactly let you skip the whole sequence of the game because, what would be the point in playing it? As for SpaceVenture, even though you won't have to beat the whole game to progress, the Cluck Yegger sequence will contain some important plot points that Ace Hardway will discover(don't worry this Cluck game won't spoil those) in order to move forward, so we can't exactly allow you to skip all of it there either. We can however, take the jumpscare craziness away. Behold, the first thing you see when you load the game:

3cdd6ba4e5f9816281eee0c2487a91b0_original.png

Choose the option on the right, and the game is exactly the same, only no jumpscares. We also added a little humor in place of the jumpscares you should check out even if you decide to play it under normal mode. ;)

We hope you all will see the point in all of this. In past Two Guys From Andromeda games, there have been chickens. Games that involved chickens that poke fun at other games. We have continued that tradition with Cluck Yegger by doing a parody of a popular game series. The nice thing about this is that in doing this, it moves us forward two ways. One by completing an important plot sequence that happens in SpaceVenture, and two because we've now decided to release it early and to the public. Perhaps we can bring some more funding into the project without having to ask for it. We still have funds from the campaign, but having more funds would definitely help progress the project faster. Just like the arcade sequences in Space Quest, the Cluck Yegger game/sequence may not be for you, but hopefully you see the humor and logic in the decisions we've made, and with the above feature, you can play the game without any worry of jumpscares.

HOW CAN BACKERS HELP

Right now, the absolute best thing you all can do is help us get the game accepted in Steam's greenlight program. If at all possible, please log in(or create an account with Steam) and vote Yes to have the game greenlit. As mentioned in the last update, we are going to make Steam keys available to backers, but we need to get the game greenlit first. We are doing really well, but we need your help to push us over the line to getting accepted.

To vote real quick, click the below image:

You can also use http://CluckYegger.com to take you straight there as well.

Also, please feel free to video yourself playing the game and posting everywhere you can imagine. This helps spread the word before the game goes public.

We are taking suggestions on places other than Steam to sell the game. We are also working on GoG by the way. Please post your suggestions in the forum I listed above.

Thanks for all of your support everyone!

Chris Pope a.k.a your humble local intergalactic SpacePope

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
And if there's anyone that should be able to parody a game, it's the Two Guys.

"Escape From The Planet of the Poultroids" seems to indicate otherwise.

Uh...the Space Quest games were "made up as they went along", you know.

Yeah, that's what I figured from reading Scott Murphy's sob stories about them getting chewed out by Sierra management for delivering their games behind schedule. However, without Ken Williams' nurturing teat to suck on, some careful pre-planning would've come in handy considering they're on a very tight budget. Unlike some others, I'm not afraid they'll run out of money. They probably burned through their budget years ago (but still have some cash stashed away for voice actors and physical rewards), but that doesn't matter, since they have some loyal Space Quest fanbois doing their dirty work. I truly salute their intern/lead programmer. Without this guy, the people who backed this would be utterly fucked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom