Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpaceVenture - Space Quest spiritual successor by Two Guys from Andromeda

Boleskine

Arcane
I'm not sure. At this point it probably doesn't matter.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Why does everything Sierra related since 1996 turn out to be depressing and disappointing?
Sold to CUC International? (Truly, if ever a name existed for current year...)

That said, they published lots of great stuff after that (Tribes, Arcanum, Homeworld, etc.).

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/2044238

Project Progress as of Nov 2017

QUICK RUN DOWN OF THINGS STILL IN PROGRESS:
  • Last scenes in the game are still being worked on, but are much closer to completion then they were previously. You will see some of what that entails in this update.
  • A tremendous amount of time has been put in on debugging earlier scenes in the game to make things play smoothly and we are happy to report that the majority of bugs are now squashed!
  • There are still some cutscenes that are incomplete including the ending to the game that have to be added.
  • We are still looking to set an exact date on VO recording and will announce that as soon as possible. We will also announce more info on the voice actors signed on to the project when that time comes.
  • We know you all are ready for a release date. We'll have that out as soon as we can. As you can probably imagine, we are hesitate to throw out another release date.
Guys we are really excited about how close things are! There is light at the end of the tunnel and no signs of a train so far! We are beginning alpha testing with a handful of select people beginning in the next couple of weeks. Once alpha testing is complete and things are fixed based on the findings, we will begin moving forward with backer beta testing.

FINAL SCENES IN SPACEVENTURE

Just a small warning, we are gonna try and not be super spoilery here as much as possible. If what is said, sounds vague, now you know why. There almost always is a final showdown in adventure games between the main character and an antagonist of sorts, so it will come to be no surprise that Ace and friends will have to deal with quite a few obstacles along the path of reaching the ending.

807cdce4ac5b52b6093c815659af6273_original.JPG

In the above image, you are seeing that Ace has been strapped to a chair and based on what's happening, you can guess that this is not a good thing. In part of the ending sequence, Rooter is the hero. You'll have to control Rooter(not for the first time) to help Ace out of the sticky situation he has found himself in.

Keep in mind, we are purposely not giving you any back story here as to not spoil anything, but clearly Rooter needs to stop the "MEMORY WIPE" that is occurring before it is too late. There is a very unique set of puzzles that have to be solve to take care of saving Ace. Below is a video that will give you guys an idea of a little of what is involved in this scene. This is still a work in progress, so music and SFX have not been added yet.

Throughout the design/building of SpaceVenture, we have been recording footage of it's creation. To compliment the previous video, we thought you guys might want to see a little bit of the behind the scenes footage of how this scene came about. This sequence and puzzle design was the brain child of Mark Crowe. Here is a little footage of Mark talking about his vision for it.

SVREWARDS DIARY ENTRY

For $30 backers and up, log on to the SVRewards website to view a diary entry behind the scenes video of myself(Chris Pope) discussing some of what it took to make the puzzle mechanics work. There is a "forgot password" option on the website but if you have problems logging in, please feel free to email contact @ guysfromandromeda.com. Remember, currently this is only for $30 an up backers. All behind the scenes materials will be released to everyone once the game ships.

Below is another glimpse at one of the final sequences in SpaceVenture. We aren't gonna give any hint of what is going on here as again not to spoil anything. Definitely some fun to be had here at the end of the game for you though!

b198134b5c2621ae7da7771df62d3a15_original.png

$150 AND UP BACKERS, THIS IS FOR YOU

This Thursday November 16th, we are gonna have a vote for three items in SpaceVenture. This will involve your 3 favorite villains seen in this image:

564d9c1e2ec26fb7c36450c77659d196_original.png

And it will also involve the hair style and outfit of one of the other characters in the game. Be on the look out via email so you can vote!

How to vote?

Keep an eye out for a Kickstarter message to come through email. That email will contain a link so that you can vote!

Thanks everyone!

Chris Pope a.k.a your local intergalactic SpacePope

Boleskine

Arcane
From today's update:

Last scenes in the game are still being worked on, but are much closer to completion then they were previously.

Guys we are really excited about how close things are!

July 2017

Last scenes in the game are still being worked on.

We are working as hard as fast as we can and promise this game will get done.

March 2017

we are still pushing hard to get SpaceVenture out.

working extremely hard to get the game done as fast as possible.

The last few scenes in the game that have puzzle related material are still in the works. There is some artwork that still needs to be finalized and some puzzle mechanics to work out.

November 2016

First off, we are still moving full force at finishing the game as quickly as possible.

working out the end of the game has taken longer than expected as well.

August 2016

Guys we are going full throttle trying our absolute best to get the game done by November.

May 2016

things are coming together nicely and we are still pushing hard for the November 30th release date which is in sight.

Feb 2016

We are pushing extremely hard to get the game done by then. So far, we are holding to it and are pushing through as fast as we can.

2V2Pwpk.gif

RCzi61M.gif

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
This Thursday November 16th, we are gonna have a vote for three items in SpaceVenture. This will involve your 3 favorite villains seen in this image:

564d9c1e2ec26fb7c36450c77659d196_original.png

And it will also involve the hair style and outfit of one of the other characters in the game. Be on the look out via email so you can vote!

How to vote?

Keep an eye out for a Kickstarter message to come through email. That email will contain a link so that you can vote!

To blatantly affect this election and catch the ear of someone who can vote, I'd go with Zorg, Borf and the Borg, in that order. Not because they're my favorites, but because they're a combination of well-known villains in need of a good spoofing and underdogs that could use a little spot in the limelight.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It is quite depressing to see people you like so much spending this much effort on money on a game that will sell three copies.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Probably a few reasons, such as the lack of management to keep them on track, lack of a reliable workforce, lack of good pre-existing engine tech, and the fact that they probably don't have the same drive that they did back in the olden days. This all in addition to the various life issues they discussed as reasons for the slow production.

Probably a few reasons, such as the lack of management to keep them on track, lack of a reliable workforce, lack of good pre-existing engine tech, and the fact that they probably don't have the same drive that they did back in the olden days. This all in addition to the various life issues they discussed as reasons for the slow production.

I feel like those are all excuses though. Indie developers lack all the same things and get shit done faster.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Most indie adventure game developers use "good pre-existing engine tech" (AGS, Wintermute, Unity's Adventure Creator, etc.). Obviously, the choice to develop one's own engine is hardly a sign of good resource management...

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Isnt this being done in Unity?
Or do you mean using a built in framework within Unity?

Wapcaplet

Educated

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Speaking of which, I know most (all?) of you despise Let's Play videos, but if you have a passing interest in Space Quest, I can only recommend the recent and ongoing series of video by The Space Quest Historian on youtube ; he is going through the entire series (and will even cover fangames and remakes I have been told) and not only it is entertaining to watch, but he knows his stuff : each episode is full of anecdotes, easter eggs, etc. It helped me a lot not dying of boredom at home those last two weeks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/2153918

The goings on in SpaceVenture camp

Hey everyone! We know this is another long awaited update, but we were holding off because we were hoping to be able to confirm a few things, such as our upcoming voice over recording session with our voice actors along with when we plan to let you all beta test. Alas, we are not quite 100% on those dates yet, but hopefully soon. Rest assured, once I have got those dates for you, we'll do another update and have it out there in the open.

The good news is, we are almost there! Believe it or not, we are on the road for finishing this game up, and when it's released, it will be done right with all the correct amount of tender love and care(not to mention blood, sweat, and tears) it deserves!

WHAT'S NEW?

As mentioned in a previous update, one of the last remaining areas of the game, has you visiting an interstellar fan convention known as "Andromecon". This is a beautifully created sequence in the game that features all kinds of creatures dressed up as their favorite characters from all sorts of movies and video games, a lot of which, as an earthling, you'll hopefully recognize.

Below is a screenshot of Rooter hanging around the convention floor while Centari Corporations baby man CEO Milo Forbin discusses the companies latest creation, the "Facebox".

98235ca321051eaeede8e867d8046246_original.png

We also wanted to show you all some video footage of this scene taking place in action. In this video you will see Rooter navigating part of the Andromecon convention floor. Keep a close eye for some fun SciFi pop culture references milling about. There is quite a few in there! You'll also notice another SpaceVenture character that we have showed in the past.. Office Quicksilver!

BEHIND THE SCENES WITH MARK

I thought you guys would enjoy hearing from Mark on some of his design choices for creating the Andromecon sequence.

Mark Crowe:

Hi Gang-

Heres a peek behind the scenes of a short animated sequence I needed in the game.

In our story, Centari Corp produces a VR game console called the ‘Facebox’. From the beginning, the concept for this Facebox appliance was to have a sleek appearance but with something sinister about it under the hood. To reinforce the sinister aspect, we wanted to show Faceboxes being mass produced on an assembly line. The point was to reveal their menacing skeletal innards being encased in a more user-friendly outer shell. The video reveals a little bit of how the effect was achieved.

We used 2D pre-rendered artwork (as with the rest of the game) but mapped it onto simple 2.5D shapes to enhance the illusion of depth. I wanted the outer shell to look like it was actually being 3D printed over the skeleton. To achieve that effect we used a nifty ‘invisible mask’ shader on a flat quad that hides the 3D shell mesh from the camera. But as we animate the invisible mask shape downward, it exposes the shell mesh as it passes through it. Hopefully what I’m trying to describe is more clear in the video.

I really had a good time putting this little sequence together for the game and just figuring out how to make it work was a fun challenge. Kinda like solving an adventure game puzzle. :)

As an added treat, here is some early concepts from artist Brent Forest (and yours truly) showing the evolution of the Facebox appliance.

82cd8b9df7f2becdb010c04ad7287e7c_original.png

0b4c1acaab28e44610384a864bbb2097_original.png

My initial concept

Brents awesome sketches. Very disturbing. Brent captured the menace perfectly. But who in their right mind would wilfully strap one those to their face, right? So we dialed it back. But then reintroduced the alien-like menace by showing the inner workings of the Facebox in the assembly line sequence.

08c1df9e9879fb8dc85a66345cbc13e7_original.png

e0b79262dfb91d0687356d5c47944174_original.png

60b3ef9865fda1af83dafcc77b9e67f5_original.png

Image from a April fools Press release we did in 2016

5bc3a7ad41c0493946d6455683cc469c_original.png

RESULTS FROM BACKER VOTING

You guys that backed high enough, got to do a vote on your favorite three villains to be part of the Centari Corporations Executive Staff. The results are in:

d1a7048f16088b425efc709bfa0b62bd_original.png

These percentages are based upon the TOP THREE selected villains.

Here were the total results:

1. Baronne = 17.6%

2. Mingleton = 38.3%(WINNER)

3. Ursalon = 19.6%

4. Battinski = 16.1%

5. Zorgstein = 55.3%(WINNER)

6. Galactuzon = 27.4%

7. Khaaaanway = 49.3%(WINNER)

8. Bjorgensen-sen = 25.9%

9. Borfndorf = 22.8%

10. Sprockovich = 19%

That's all for now, but we have more coming your way soon!

Thanks everyone!

Chris Pope a.k.a your humble local intergalactic SpacePope

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:hailcthulhu:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/2257627

Things are moving forward quickly!

We wanted to do this update in order to tell you about things that are happening. Before I begin talking about the goings on, I wanted to let you all know that we have a much more exciting update planned for September. This particular update will only feature information about the alpha testing happening now and our upcoming VO sessions starting Monday in Los Angeles, California. Yes, that's right, Monday August 13th!

The reason we are posting now is because we thought you all might want to see the cast of SpaceVenture and learn a little about them.

The update in September will feature behind the scenes footage of the VO sessions as well as which actors are playing certain roles. We know you are all probably excited to know who is playing Ace and who's gonna be doing the narration since Gary Owens passed away. Don't worry, all will be revealed in September, and it will include audio/video for you all to check out!

Lastly, the question on everyone's mind is when will SpaceVenture be done!? Well the answer will all depend on the Alpha/Beta testing phases. We really want to see the game shipped by the holiday season and that's what we are working towards. Again though, it will all depend on how well play testing goes and how many bugs gotta be squashed. I will also mention that we do have some sfx/music still missing in the game and some cutscenes that need some love as well. Cross your fingers everyone! :)

ALPHA TESTING HAS BEGUN
42aea5f39963b2b1094fa2744c0a8a20_original.jpg

A little about alpha testing. We have play testers playing the game right now and are working with them on feedback and bug testing to make sure the game is in a proper beta state before handing it over to our beta tester backers! That would be all you fine folks that backed at the $30 and up level. We will announce that we are ready for beta testing as soon as everything is complete in alpha testing.

VOICE ACTORS CONFIRMED IN THE STUDIO AUGUST 13TH-15TH
ROB PAULSEN
651bbcc1be79a9145f0040cccd26d595_original.jpg

Emmy Award winner Rob Paulsen is one of the top cartoon voice actors of all times, voicing hundreds of beloved characters throughout his career. Some of Rob’s other well-known animated characters include Raphael of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Arthur in The Tick, the title role in The Mask, the title role in Mighty Max, Carl Wheezer in Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius, Jack Fenton in Danny Phantom, Bobble in the Tinkerbell series of DVDs and hopefully more to come. Paulsen’s extensive credits include on-camera roles in numerous motion pictures including Body Double, Stewardess School, Eyes of Fire, The Perfect Match, and Warlocked. His television acting credits include guest-starring roles on MacGyver and St. Elsewhere. Additionally, he is one of the most sought-after voice actors in the commercial arena, performing in over 1000 of commercial spots.

MAURICE LAMARCHE
54590dda45fe881940047bc85efbd066_original.jpg

Emmy award winner voice actor, Maurice LaMarche began on Inspector Gadget and went on to Dennis the Menace, Popeye and Son and The Real Ghostbusters where he played Egon Spengler. After The Real Ghostbusters, LaMarche became a regular mainstay of the voiceover industry appearing in such shows as Tiny Toon Adventures, GI Joe, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Animated Series, Taz-Mania, Where's Waldo, The Little Mermaid, Batman: The Animated Series, and Bonkers before landing perhaps his most recognized role in 1993 as The Brain on Animaniacs and later its spin-off show Pinky and the Brain. Following this, LaMarche worked on The Critic, Freakazoid!, and The Tick before then reprising his role of Egon in Extreme Ghostbusters. The stretch of two years after this saw LaMarche portray characters in such shows as Hey Arnold! as Big Bob Pataki, Queer Duck, The Chimp Channel, and Sonic Underground as Sleet. During this time Maurice would become the voice actor for Mortimer Mouse whom he would voice in the television series Mickey Mouse Works and Disney's House of Mouse. It was at this time, 1999, that LaMarche began work on Futurama, and since Futurama LaMarche has continued to work steadily in television, including guest roles on The Simpsons (where he once again parodied Orson Welles).

ROBERT CLOTWORTHY
a78bb934707d6e09f426739b35e8f0b3_original.jpg

Robert is a voice actor best known for voicing, Jim Raynor, in Blizzard Entertainment’s award winning StarCraft” Video Game Series. Named one of the top ten gaming heroes of all time, more than one fan has mentioned that the character of Raynor has been a role model and positive influence in their lives. Gamers and reviewers around the world have commented on the quality of Robert’s voice acting and the humanity and quiet strength that Robert brought in creating the iconic role. In feature films Robert has worked with numerous acclaimed directors and stars including Bette Midler and James Caan in Mark Rydel’s WWII epic For the Boys, Seth Rogen in The Green Hornet, Alan Arkin in Rendition, Robin Williams in One Hour Photo and Kristen Bell in Pulse. Fun fact: The pivotal scene where Robert played Bradley Cooper’s psychiatrist in Clint Eastwood’s American Sniper was shown during the Academy Awards Ceremony in 2015. Robert is also one of the most sought after narrators on television, lending his voice to hundreds of hours of programs. George Lucas chose Robert as the narrator of the Emmy nominated documentaries Empire of Dreams: The Making of The Star Wars Trilogy and Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed.

ELLEN MCLAIN
33b087eb6d63576984e4456c88845ae5_original.jpg

Ellen McLain provides voices for many characters in several video games from Valve Corporation. Among them are GLaDOS, the artificial intelligence antagonist in Portal (for which she won an AIAS Interactive Achievement Award for Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance), Portal 2 and Bridge Constructor Portal; the announcer in Team Fortress 2; and the voice of the Combine Overwatch for the Half-Life 2 series. McLain sang "Still Alive" and "Want You Gone", the ending credits songs to Portal and Portal 2, respectively, both of which were written by Jonathan Coulton. She sang "Cara Mia Addio" at the end of Portal 2. It is sometimes called the "Turret Opera". In December 2011, McLain won the Spike Video Game Award in the category "Best Performance by a Human Female" for her voice acting as GLaDOS in Portal 2.

JOHN PATRICK LOWRIE
93864e039d160d87a1143739011294df_original.jpg

John Patrick Lowrie has performed roles in video games such as The Suffering and The Suffering: Ties That Bind, Total Annihilation and its expansions, The Operative: No One Lives Forever and No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way. Lowrie is mostly recognized for his voice acting in Valve games such as Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Left 4 Dead and Dota 2.[1] He is noted for playing the roles of The Sniper in the online FPS Team Fortress 2, Agent Gray in the MMORPG The Matrix Online, as well as Odessa Cubbage and the male citizens in Half-Life 2. Lowrie plays Sherlock Holmes in The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, a radio show produced by Jim French Productions. In 2011, he published a science fiction novel named Dancing with Eternity

JASON CHARLES MILLER
7159f3a51f91192e25be78e482c56544_original.jpg

On top of once being the lead singer of the heavy metal band called "God Head", Jason Charles Miller has appeared in over 100 animated productions and video games. Some of his credits include work on World of Warcraft, Wonder Woman, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Hellsing, Read or Die and the Nickelodeon produced Avatar: The Last Airbender. His film credits include Danny Roane: First Time Director, the 2008 remake of Day of the Dead and the Sci Fi Channel's Battle Planet. He worked on a cover album from the fighting game series Guilty Gear, titled Guilty Gear XX in N.Y. Vocal Edition, where he supplied vocals over the instrumentals to create a full vocal album. In 2011, he lent his vocals to another cover album, this time for BlazBlue, the successive fighting game series to Guilty Gear, titles BlazBlue in L.A. Vocal Edition. He provided the voice of Robert Kendo in Capcom's video game Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles for the Wii. In 2011, he appeared in an episode of the web series The Guild. His voice can be heard in the digital collectible card game by Blizzard Entertainment, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. Since 2017, he is part of the duo The Deadly Grind.

MELANIE STONE
6056e565dda1b2e68dc516c9121e3f96_original.jpg

Melanie Stone was born and raised in Modesto, California and began her acting career cutting her teeth in the summer stock musical theater in West Yellowstone. Her first substantial feature role came as the lead in the five movie high fantasy film franchise ‘Mythica’ as the role of Marek; a perfect fit for Melanie, with her love of the genre as well as her ability to leverage her own physical skills and experience in such a stunt-heavy series of films. In her latest film project, she stars as Meg March in the modern adaptation of Little Women, which will be hitting theaters across the nation in September 2018.

JAKE STORMOEN
f3edbadcbf600fea935c2051981d630c_original.jpg

An avid world traveler, Jake earned his BCA from the University of Southern Queensland in QLD, Australia before moving to Los Angeles. There, he was accepted into the renowned acting program at the Ruskin Theatre where he studied under Sanford Meisner’s apprentice himself, John Ruskin. Jake quickly landed a lead role in the sci-fi fantasy feature film series "Mythica". The success of the Mythica franchise landed him more than a dozen feature films, and three television series, including the Emmy nominated 'Relationship Status', last year's post apocalyptic series 'Extinct', and presently the network series 'The Outpost' on The CW, and subsequently on SYFY across the globe. In The Outpost Jake plays the role of Garret – a Paladin of a Knight whose honor and loyalty are often placed above all else, at the risk of often dangerous outcomes. When asked about the role, Jake replies “My oldest childhood fantasy was to be a Knight—to fight for the people, to vanquish monsters and to ride into battle. ‘Outpost’ is literally a dream come true.”

VINCE CASO
e6f7d2197104ba189358464521e36cae_original.jpg

Vince Caso is best known for his role as Bladezz in the hit web series The Guild. At a young age, Vince decided to go into acting, and within a year, he landed a role in his first feature film, American Fork, a comedy produced by Jeremy Coon of Napoleon Dynamite. The film premiered at Slamdance in January 2007, garnering Vincent some good reviews and his first red carpet experience alongside fellow cast members Billy Baldwin, Kathleen Quinlan, and writer/star Hubbel Palmer. American Fork was released in a limited number of theaters in fall of 2009, under the new name Humble Pie.

TWO GUYS FROM ANDROMEDA AND THE SPACEPOPE
6c11756b6c22a6605135e8a6e7afe8b9_original.jpg

The Two Guys From Andromed and The SpacePope will be making an appearing in SpaceVenture as well!

SUPPORT LORI AND COREY COLE
497225fe55904903bce5864681c54589_original.jpg

If you've been living under an asteroid and haven't heard, Lori and Corey Cole(makers of the Quest for Glory series) have released their new game, "Hero U". If you haven't already checked it out, you should! It's getting great reviews!

Here are some links of interest:

Hero U Website: http://www.hero-u.com/

Review on Metacritic

YouTube video explaining "Why you should buy"

If you happen to be in the Phoenix Arizona this weekend, come by Game One Expo and say hi. I'll be there! :)

Look for the next update in September!

Thanks everyone!

Chris Pope a.k.a your humble local intergalactic SpacePope

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom