Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SPAZ - Space Pirates and Zombies

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, the VO for those parts is really shitty and monotone. Honestly though, it's like 10 seconds every hour or two, so who gives a fuck.

After starting a new game with a 300 star galaxy, things are going a bit better. Main gripes currently are that getting specific parts takes way too much running around (I had to rape my way through about 30 extra gates to upgrade my turret mounts) and that in general, the combat is pretty samey. Mostly it boils down to ships not being manouverable enough and damage not being high enough, so you're forced to just line up and trade shots. If you can get a big enough gun on a ship fast enough to stay out of an enemy's firing cone that can still get through their shields, chances are a bigger ship wouldn't be dented by their weapons anyways. So combat boils down to precision aiming vs ships with annoyingly small profiles or erratic movement, and being very aware of when you are and aren't outgunned.

Ship customizing gets a lot more interesting once you unlock huge ships, around that time you have some very unique ship designs available, smaller ships have better, more specialized versions, and more equipment options available, like booster modules that can fit in any slot, so you can forgo having missiles for the sake of stronger beam weapons, for example. But there's fuck all description of how strong those modules are, so I dunno if they're actually worth using.

Grinding generally isn't an issue unless you're zerg rushing your enemy with ships and run out of rez. The only things you need rez for are building ships, and you only need to build ships when they explode. Tech plans can be looted from destroyed stations, which generally takes less time than dicking with faction rep and is way more fun. Trying to follow the story missions without sidetrips is definitely tough and can get you killed a lot, but I don't really consider flying around blowing up random people to be grinding when that's the point of the game. The fights are never trivial if you're picking the right fights

Morkar Left

The game sounds better and better and came out of nowhere for me :thumbsup:

Can you control ships directly like in EV Nova or only give commands? Is there some diplomacy or random missions?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Morkar said:
Can you control ships directly like in EV Nova or only give commands? Is there some diplomacy or random missions?

WASD controls, you can also tell the AI ships who to attack via the tactics screen or just leave them do their thing. Random missions aplenty, reputation is between two (at least has been so far) factions and it's separate for each system. If the civilians like you in one sector, they'll still be neutral (or even hate you) in others. Attacking or helping them only affects your standing in that particular system.

Oh and on top of random missions there seems to be some random events (I had one where a meteor was passing through some area and I had the option to try and go harvest it) - these and the random missions all have a limited time to complete before they disappear, but time passes only when you move to different areas within a system, so there's no real sense of hurry. Sometimes you just might have to pick one if multiple missions/events all have 1 'turn' left.

The system map: http://i.imgur.com/DsMFV.jpg

The star map, where each number (diff. level) is a different system: http://i.imgur.com/ofdI3.jpg

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Having difficulty placing what game this resembles. Star Control 2, Space Rangers, what? I played the demo only and that at least is quite decent from what I know of it.

Exmit

Scholar
Multi-headed Cow said:
So bros. Updated thoughts on this?

boring, after 30 min of playing you will be doing same thing over the next 20 hours in a closed 'room' type missions. Nothing is worse for a space game than a feeling that universe is closed in rooms A B C.

Star Control 2 is far superior to this, go and play the urqan masters which is a 100% remake with 3do version sounds and which is also free.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Multi-headed Cow

Must've been another SPAZ thread somewhere since I remember bitching about it after buying it, but eh. This is the one I found.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2561419
Free SPAZ expansion/DLC coming March 19th. Adding a bounty hunters faction, with 10 more ship designs. Think I might give the game another whirl once that launches, since I haven't played since they rejiggered some of the difficulty and AI in patches after launch. Dunno if it'll help any of my issues with repetition in the game or not but probably worth a go.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Cool. Hopefully it spices up the game. I played maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through before losing interest. I think mostly because the feeling of progress is so terribly slow. You need to go through like two dozen fights just to unlock one new ship you actually want. And both the weapon modules and level up perks feel really minor and unimportant compared to what hull you're using.

Deakul

Augur
Such a boring game.

Got 10 hours into into it before being able to handle most fights and now it's just a chore having to get to systems that are like 30+ jumps away just to move the story forward and upgrade your mother ship.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah I've relegated this to 'nice if it's included in an indie bundle.'

Gord

Arcane
New update containing new faction (Bounty Hunters) with some kind of arena-mode, new ships, some balancing/pacing adjustments out.
Should be playing a bit faster now.

It's also on sale on Steam today.
I'm almost tempted to replay it, even if only to see some of the new stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom