Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Special Titles

Chefe

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Will the women have jiggletech<tm> boobies?

Well, of course, naturally. We've just released Version 2.17 rev 4 and the systems are undergoing matainence.
Expect to have the boobies up and running shortly.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The jugbounce<tm> system is much more CPU efficient. n00bs use jiggletech. It also supports flush shaders and hydrodynamic anthropomorphic pluginbetweens.

xemous

Arcane
Thats a nice sig, Chefe. I saved it into my lonely folder.

Chefe

Erudite
No, no, no... Jiggletechâ„¢ is proven technology, Jugbounce is relatively new and not been thoroughly tested on a wide range of systems. Heck, it's still in beta!

To insure maximum enjoyment and compatibility, we will be going with Jiggletechâ„¢ v2.17.

Chefe

Erudite
It's the link you posted. I didn't make it.

Hey, you know what's cool? Open that site in a few different windows.

Chefe

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
Geez - I meant the text in your sig, not the actual url or site.

It is done.

I hope I cleared up any confusion among Xboxers.

Naked_Lunch said:
This thread is gay.

Don't patronize my thread.

Twinfalls

Erudite
I did enjoy reading Sol's summary of why custom avatars suck, from that other thread:

Sol Invictus said:
I don't want to see this place polluted with pictures of Tomb Raider, Bloodrayne, any anime character, Britney Spears, some hot model, some dumbass picture of your kid, some dumbass picture of you making a stupid face, some dumbass picture of you looking 'cool', some dumbass picture of your fat and ugly girlfriend, some dumbass picture you found on the internet that you apparently found funny, or some dumbass screencap from a movie that you found to be 'memorable'.

:) Spot on!

Chefe

Erudite
Would you like to join the anti-avatar resistance?

Well the biggest problem with non-custom avatars is people having the same avatar.

I look at people's avatar to see who they are. It's a bit faster and it's a nice break from all reading. And what's maybe even more important, I have a very photographical memory so it's just easier to remember a line from someone if I see a unique avatar instead of a unique name.
Ok, it's not that big a deal. I know. But meh, it could be different.

Another reason, which might appeal more to you guys, is that when someone has an avatar you really love. Yet you find him a complete ***hole, it cheapens the avatar. It's an insult to the avatar he's using.

Also, it means a bit more creativity. It's less linear you might say.
An custom avatar might also reveal some of the creativity of the owner. (Though that will make you become slightly more prejudice)

Yet I'm really satisfied with my avatar. So that's not a problem 4 me. The linearity of my avatar doesn’t really matter to me this time. In a way I'm glad. I did get a bit bored of my other avatar.
And it does put a nice order to it. Aesthetically it does look nicer having more or less the same style of avatar.

-------------------

But I might have a solution for the "same-avatar" problem.

You could make avatars restricted to only one person. If it's already in use, a new member should not be able to pick it. Though that could give some problems in the long run with members leaving or taking other accounts. Also it maybe a bit unfair to have a first come first serve policy. (Though you could have a vote on who gets to have a certain avatar. But that's just a bit pitty and silly really)

I'd rather suggest their would be an indication mark on which avatars are already taken.
They would have a little dot in front of them. Now you're leaving it up to people themselves to take this responsibility.
It prevents the situation where an old member returns from a somewhat long time leave (a month, maybe 2) and you end up with the same avatar. Changing it isn't really an option since you've really grown on your avatar. Keeping it isn't either since someone else has it as well.

Chefe

Erudite
M'Aiq,

Take your pro-avatar bullshit out of my thread, pinko.

Regards,
Chefe
The Anti-Avatar Liberation Front

Ok, I'll say some kind words about not having any avatars at all.
Having no Avatars is also a good option that could be taken into consideration.

- It will force you to read someone's name instead of going the easy way and going by avatar.
- It will put more focus upon the discussion, since there's no distracting avatar.
- It will not discredit nice pictures, because some foul person would be using it as his (her) avatar.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Let's get rid of postcounts, too while we're at it. Hell, why stop there? WHY NOT JUST GET RID OF ALL THE POSTS, HMM?

Chefe

Erudite
Naked_Lunch said:
Just take your bullshit out of the Codex, period.

EDIT: You BNOL

You insult my honor. I challenge you to a duel.

Naked_Lunch said:
Let's get rid of postcounts, too while we're at it. Hell, why stop there? WHY NOT JUST GET RID OF ALL THE POSTS, HMM?
Well getting rid of postcount might not be a bad idea. It could very well benifit discussion.
Users will be judged on the content of their posts. Not on how many posts they have.

(Removing all posts would hinder discussion) ;)

Anyhow removing avatars and/or postcount/titles would not make RPGCodex less unique. As I understand it's the participants and the moderation process (retardo land) that make the RPGCodex unigue.

Nothing is really going to change if these minor things would be changed.

Though off course I could be wrong. I don't have a crystal ball or anything. ;)

Chefe

Erudite
Leave my thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom