Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spelunky - Best Game Ever

drunkpriest

Scholar
Spelunky is a roguelike platformer or something. It's pretty badass, lots of secrets, items and it's fucking hard. I've died over 200 times and haven't won yet.
Download: http://www.spelunkyworld.com/original.html
Forums: http://mossmouth.com/forums/index.php?board=3.0

spelunky-pc-screen.png

Ch1ef

Scholar
2099264388363196f990040e6efb.jpeg

Yeah, baby, i'm your hero.

NAO SHOW ME YOR 8BIT TITS :smug:

drunkpriest

Scholar
It is sorta roguelike because, levels are randomly generated, death is easy, it just feels roguelike when you play it. Also its the best game ever.

LazyD

Liturgist
its pretty fuckin good.. Been playin it on an off for a while now.

Shotguns are fun.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Nice find, this is fucking awesome. It's like action nethack. Shopkeepers and altars even.

dragonfk

Erudite
It's a great game. Recently it's the only game I find the time and motivation to play.

dragonfk

Erudite
You just need a shotgun to rob them :) .

And additionally if you rob/try to rob any shopkeeper you'll be on wanted poster in every shop, which means every shopkeeper will try to kill you.

dragonfk

Erudite
No.
After you pass every 4 levels you get to pay for a shortcut. Believe me, it's not possible to beat the 16 lvls the game throws at you in a one go.

circ

Arcane
Please stop lying. /Volourn

Anyway, it's not a roguelike, I don't know where people get that from.

It's a H.E.R.O., Loderunner, Spelunker, Bagitman, Mr Do's Castle, Dig Dug clone, with original ideas too, and quite fun, pretty tough too. It's a shame it doesn't have ropes to climb across like Loderunner, or atleast I haven't seen any, but whatever.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
dragonfk said:
No.
After you pass every 4 levels you get to pay for a shortcut. Believe me, it's not possible to beat the 16 lvls the game throws at you in a one go.

At first I thought so as well. But then when v1.0 was released, I actually reached the final level all the way from the start. I even found the secret level too.

Luck and practice plays a huge role in this game.

Some hints for the new players:

# The altar (grey slab) is useful. Try dropping bodies (dead or otherwise) on it and see what happens.

# You can't jump-stomp the plants unless you're wearing spiked boots. Don't even try it.

# Every idol you find is booby-trapped. Try to spot the trap before grabbing the idol. In the case of the Crystal idol, the trap will follow you...

# Everything you can pick up can be used as a makeshift projectile...and I do mean everything.

# Shopkeepers are tough bastards, don't try to fight one until you've gotten a good feeling for the game.

# Dropping live bombs in (or near) a shop will make the shopkeeper shout "TERRORIST!" and come after you.

# Some of the tougher monsters don't care about your whipping skills.

# When a level starts with a message of some kind, it means there's something special on that level. A good example is the "I hear snakes...I hate snakes!" message, this means that there's a huge pit full of snakes in the level. If you go down into the pit, don't expect to climb back out of it again, another way out is available...

AzraelCC

Scholar
Pretty good, I've always wondered if a randomized platformer could work. Now if only they could do this with the next Metal Slug...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've found a good way to kill shopkeepers is to use a sticky bomb planted under where they're standing in their shop. However, sometimes they'll still come after you in the later levels at the exits. Though having a shotgun and tons of gear helps deal with that.

I found an ankh at the black market before and figured out what it's for, but not what the weird ass helmet thing does. I also never met the shortcut guy in my game, though the scores seemed all fucked up when I downloaded and even after I cleared them. I cleared them again, hopefully it'll work properly now.

Multi-headed Cow

Maaaaaaaan, I was doing great until I had YASD when I fell off a ledge, got stunned, then assfucked by a caveman and bat.

This is a hell of a lot of fun. Might buy it if/when he releases the 360 version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom