Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Splinter Cell Blacklist: the king of stealth is back ?

potatojohn

Arcane
Forgot the screenshot

S2C4aPR.jpg

I finished blacklist on perfectionist, ghost style without being spotted and mostly without knocking out enemies (except when it was necessary) which was quite challenging....and fun. Couple of parts in the game were lame where i was forced to knock out enemies (train part was the worst part of the game)
Level design was good for the most part which offered many alternate paths to avoid combat and last level was the best in the game, better than anything in chaos theory :D

Silva

Arcane
I finished blacklist on perfectionist, ghost style without being spotted and mostly without knocking out enemies (except when it was necessary) which was quite challenging....and fun. Couple of parts in the game were lame where i was forced to knock out enemies (train part was the worst part of the game)
Level design was good for the most part which offered many alternate paths to avoid combat and last level was the best in the game, better than anything in chaos theory
I must be a fag then, because I gave up on Perfectionist after the 30th reload in a mission full of dogs. By the way, is there some usefulness for the Sonar goggles on Perfectionist ? If they dont see through walls, why buy it ? :?

Oh, and last mission in Chaos Theory is awsome too. I always got captured though. Is there a way for not being captured ?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Oh, and last mission in Chaos Theory is awsome too. I always got captured though. Is there a way for not being captured ?

Yeah, I think you just don't get shot by the electric charge stuff when you descend the escalator. It's hard to do but possible.

Silva

Arcane
Going to the 5th mission in the campaign, and having done a couple more side-missions, Im beginning to think that Blacklist will surpass Chaos Theory. No shit.
The side-missions - at least the non-combat ones - are amazing stuff. I mean, Dishonored-like open-ended stuff - you have a big map and some main objectives (plus some secondary ones, and some secret ones) and youre free to aproach all this shit the way you want. Its the more open shit Ive seen in the series so far. And if you go co-op it gets even more amazing because you can coordinate how to do all that shit (ghosting together and supporting each other for the same objective ? splitting up and doing different objetctives at the same time and meeting later for the third one ? having one get behind drone-scouting while the other go spearhead at the front ? Going full Rainbow Six-like full assault ? You name it ).

potatojohn said:
Game is easier than the last Hitman. When in cover Sam has a move that drags a dude into cover and knocks him out. You can literally clear 90% of the encounters so far by staying in one spot and KO-ing dudes as they come to investigate your whistling.
This only works with early game scum.

Try do this with the REAL guards and you receive a gunbutt to the face and a burst to the chest.

Or the shadow ones with red glowing eyes that can see in the dark and behind walls.

Last edited:

MetalCraze

Arcane
The shit is hard as fuck even with all your gadgets, and specially if want to go undetected or non-lethal through the missions. I even gave up on Perfectionist (aka MACHO mode) because of it.
Why would you want to go non-lethal? What's the point?
Of course stealth is hard since the game is made with you killing everybody in your path in mind. That's how it was in Conviction too. Just like action sequences.

How is this not Conviction 2 when shooting through is effortless?

Silva

Arcane
Going to 6th mission now and, wow, the more I play it, the more I think this is going to dethrone Chaos Theory. I mean, at this point its already doing it for me because I dont remember having all this fun with Chaos Theory. The 5th mission, "Abandoned Mill", is one of the best ever in the series (if not the best) hands down.

MetalCraze said:
Why would you want to go non-lethal? What's the point?
Of course stealth is hard since the game is made with you killing everybody in your path in mind. That's how it was in Conviction too. Just like action sequences.

How is this not Conviction 2 when shooting through is effortless?
Effortless ? Then we must be playing different games.

I dont deny killing everyone is easier than ghosting, specially in the early game. But by the midgame (where I think I am at this moment) things start getting complicated, since a lot of enemies are better trained, equiped and - specially - armored. Those dudes in heavy armor are badasses since you cant knockout them by the front nor kill em with one shots (you have to take out their helmets first). So, are you sure you really tried this shit on Perfectionist and past the early game ?

Silva

Arcane
Oh great, 6th mission is the lamest shit Ive ever played in this franchise (its so bad Im amazed it doesnt have quicktime events). And the story takes a turn for the bad, I mean, reaaaly bad and implausible shit.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Oh great, 6th mission is the lamest shit Ive ever played in this franchise (its so bad Im amazed it doesnt have quicktime events). And the story takes a turn for the bad, I mean, reaaaly bad and implausible shit.

Well if it's anything like a Tom Clancy novel then implausible shit is the watch word and should in the review on the cover. "this is some implausible shit- Steven King". But I have to hear what is it ?.

Machocruz

Arcane
Do they limit your ammo in this one? Because in the older games, that was key in keeping you from going Rambo. Or is that another thing they decided was too limiting for Brocus Fenix larpers?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Do they limit your ammo in this one? Because in the older games, that was key in keeping you from going Rambo. Or is that another thing they decided was too limiting for Brocus Fenix larpers?

They even limited you to just the pistol for most levels on hard mode in the original.

Divinity: Original Sin

Finally. The way you sound I thought you were becoming a new prophet of popamole. Not that I played Blacklist, but the way you were praising a modern shooter was making me feel we were on an alternate reality.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, and it goes downhill from there. Mission 7 even has CoD-style FPS sections. Whats next ? Jump puzzles ? Boss fights ?

Oh man, I hope it goes back to pure stealth, otherwise I fear I wont have the willpower to finish it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I just wasted 30 minutes or so of my life watching the giantbomb quicklook. Looks like Conviction to me, in every way possible.

Silva

Arcane
OK, Im reaching last mission now and here is my final impression: The game is definitely fun, but in trying to cater to different styles (popamole action included) it misses a big opportunity for improving on Chaos Theory and the core elements that distinguished the series in the past. When it do focus on those core elements the game feels great, even showing some genuine improvement on the formula (take a look on the co-op missions). Unfortunately though, those moments are tainted by the frequent popamoleness (first person shooting ? Bosses ? Rocket launcher planes ? Jump puzzles ? ), resulting in a schyzophrenic experience.

Grade: 8.0

I can see this game being a hit if Ubi release a new campaign (DLC ?) purging all popamoleness and focusing on the core stealth elements. Right now though, its a missed opportunity.

Last edited:

Liston

Augur

Tehran embassy? What's that big problem? It wasn't one of the best levels but it had good parts, there are a lot of hidden passages and it is clearly designed with ghosting in mind unlike conviction. Sure the story is over the top and there is a turret section at the end but it lasts 30s.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Jesus christ could they have gotten a worse voice actor? He doesn't convey any emotion and it makes him sound like he's simply bored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom