Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Splinter Cell Blacklist: the king of stealth is back ?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'll say one thing for this game, it looks pretty and runs well on my aging rig. I guess I also like the whole ghost/panther/combat score thing, it's nice for a stealth game to reward lethal stealth, which is what I always enjoy playing outside of the Thief series.

That said these linear levels and checkpoint saves make me scream.

dunno lah

Arcane
I'll say one thing for this game, it looks pretty and runs well on my aging rig. I guess I also like the whole ghost/panther/combat score thing, it's nice for a stealth game to reward lethal stealth, which is what I always enjoy playing outside of the Thief series.

That said these linear levels and checkpoint saves make me scream.

Play the side missions.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No saving? No problem. Either take your time or git gud.

I do take my time, I am a patient motherfucker, which is why when one slip-up makes me play the whole 20-30 minutes over again I want to throw your game in the fucking trash and light it on fire.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No saving? No problem. Either take your time or git gud.

I do take my time, I am a patient motherfucker, which is why when one slip-up makes me play the whole 20-30 minutes over again I want to throw your game in the fucking trash and light it on fire.

That was my experience with Black List. I've always tried to do (almost) perfect stealth approach through levels but sometimes guard will see you or you will blow timing of your moves. Hell unleashes, a couple of bullets and you are dead. So when my rage meter was very high I just played via dance macabre mod. Kill quickly some guards and have my auto kill function and go all the way. The story of Sam Fisher Shepard isn't bad. What bothered me was way to opened levels. And sometimes I had a Ghost Recon Future Soldier deja vu when it came to the level design. For me, the favourite piece of game was near the end. Too bad it was so easy.

qzsVn0G.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, and for the record I chose the hardest difficulty, so a lot of random-ass shit happens, and being in the enemy's vision cone for even half a second alerts everyone, then you die in one shot.

So... yeah, quicksave would be nice. Velvet Assassin was another stealth game ruined by (among other things) lack of quicksave.

I think hardest difficulty is supposed to be played with all upgrades unlocked, that is, not on first playthrough. I played through it one level below highest and it was alright. Challenging enough without being too annoying. Much better game than Conviction overall, but some sections were really dumb. Like the FPS segments or end boss QTE fight. They just can't make a decent game without interrupting it with moments of utter stupidity.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think hardest difficulty is supposed to be played with all upgrades unlocked, that is, not on first playthrough. I played through it one level below highest and it was alright. Challenging enough without being too annoying. Much better game than Conviction overall, but some sections were really dumb. Like the FPS segments or end boss QTE fight. They just can't make a decent game without interrupting it with moments of utter stupidity.

Could be true about the difficulty. Now that I am pretty far in and have upgraded a ton of shit I'm fucking up less, which means screaming at the lack of quicksave less. So it's working out better. Also I have noticed with the side missions that once you get a pattern down you can quickly and easily get back to where you died or were noticed, so repeated attempts go much faster.

This game is, dare I say it, actually kind of good.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Obviously no one cares but I just finished the game and overall I have to say it was pretty damn good, really. If you liked Chaos Theory this game is about on par, other than lacking quicksave. Some of the campaign missions are a little too linear and there's a few rare forced action moments, but overall it's very stealth focused with large rooms and sets of rooms and tough enemy patrol routes at times. Very satisfying.

Story is terrible of course.

Silva

Arcane
I just replayed Blacklist from the beginning in a single go on normal difficulty and handicapping myself from some cheesy gadgets. It was a great experience. It's easily the best in the series after Chaos Theory.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The game's aight. I'm still very butthurt about the new voice actor, the horrendous FPS sections and the QTE ending, which seems to have become the norm in Ubisoft games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The game's aight. I'm still very butthurt about the new voice actor, the horrendous FPS sections and the QTE ending, which seems to have become the norm in Ubisoft games.

I remember the end boss being about sneaking up behind him through on-and-off shadows, not a QTE.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I remember the end boss being about sneaking up behind him through on-and-off shadows, not a QTE.
It was both. The first half is all about sneaking around him to get closer, and once you finally reach him it's the usual cutscene and QTEs business.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom