Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Splitscreen is for TARDSOLES - Hiver vs Xenich

St. Toxic

Arcane
Lan is the only way to play anyway. Who the fuck wants their screen split? This isn't N64.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Lan is the only way to play anyway. Who the fuck wants their screen split? This isn't N64.
wasn't this game made specifically so somebody could play it with his gf. slipt screen (or ds3 single screen with terrible camera) is mandatory for stuff like that.

hiver

I thought so, but apparently it is made to force people to separate and not actually play together. Which is ridiculous.

Huge marketing opportunity lost, really.
Especially as we are all under the cultural umbrella of alienation, especially through evil internets.

Not in split screen exactly, mind you, but i thought playing from one PC with picture on two screens (or while characters are close together on one screen) would be integrated from the ground up, (with split screen option for poor people - if you separate the team in the game).

Sure, it will be nice to connect with someone over the internet, especially if you are far apart, but... actually playing together, with a girfriend-boyfriend, friends or even kids ... should be the core attraction, damnit.

Especially if i have to buy two copies for it. Larian.

Xenich

Cipher
wasn't this game made specifically so somebody could play it with his gf. slipt screen (or ds3 single screen with terrible camera) is mandatory for stuff like that.

I thought so, but apparently it is made to force people to separate and not actually play together. Which is ridiculous.

Huge marketing opportunity lost, really.
Especially as we are all under the cultural umbrella of alienation, especially through evil internets.

Not in split screen exactly, mind you, but i thought playing from one PC with picture on two screens (or while characters are close together on one screen) would be integrated from the ground up, (with split screen option for poor people - if you separate the team in the game).

Sure, it will be nice to connect with someone over the internet, especially if you are far apart, but... actually playing together, with a girfriend-boyfriend, friends or even kids ... should be the core attraction, damnit.

Especially if i have to buy two copies for it. Larian.

Seriously? You guys got that impression? I never even remotely thought that is what they meant. Split screen gaming is a console multiplayer gimmick approach. Multiplayer gaming with PC's has always been LAN or WAN focused with each player at their own screen.

As for if they should have... No... seriously, if someone can't afford a second computer (used or otherwise) to play PC games as such, well... maybe they shouldn't be playing fucking games in the first place.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Seriously? You guys got that impression? I never even remotely thought that is what they meant. Split screen gaming is a console multiplayer gimmick approach. Multiplayer gaming with PC's has always been LAN or WAN focused with each player at their own screen.
lies. pc invented hotseat and splitscreen is just hotseat for concurrent player actions.

hiver

if someone can't afford a second computer (used or otherwise) to play PC games as such, well... maybe they shouldn't be playing fucking games in the first place.

What a fucking stupid thing to say... fucking newfags... for fuck sake...

:picard double facepalm:

1. The game should allow, help and facilitate two characters playing from one steam account. (provided two copies were bought and registered on Steam - once the players connect and play together for first time Steam should just keep the co-op saves in the cloud - or the game itself can just make a save and thats it) -

- they should be able to play on one PC in a single full screen - as long as they keep together in the game.

- there should be some split screen (or something) if they separate (but it should be a clearly secondary option)

2. The game should allow, help and facilitate direct LAN co-op, - which apparently is the plan. - played on two screens/PC/lapotops (both through one account as described above, or two steam accounts in online and offline mode)

3. These options should exist for copies sold through other means, distributors or directly from Larian.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've asked Forktong about that during the KS campaign. Technically You don't need two copies of the game to play in multiplayer. If You buy it on GOG then it's DRM free and you can install the game on multiple machines. But Larian consider it a fair thing to actually buy two copies if you intend to play with someone, hence the double kickstarter tier.

Spaceman Spiff

Educated
Split screen gaming is a console multiplayer gimmick approach. Multiplayer gaming with PC's has always been LAN or WAN focused with each player at their own screen.
Nope.
3763.jpg
Settlers 2 for MS-DOS also had an awesome split screen multiplayer.
I like hiver's idea for Divinity: Original Sin, splitting the screen when the characters move far away from each other though it's probably too late/not worth it to implement something like that now.

hiver

I like hiver's idea for Divinity: Original Sin, splitting the screen when the characters move far away from each other though it's probably too late/not worth it to implement something like that now.
Probably. The option to play from a single PC, even single copy of the game while using two controllers would be more important. Of course, the save should be easily transferable across Steam atleast, or manually. So the game can be continued over distance too and then again from one PC, one copy.

I dont mind buying two copies, especially in a sing of support but it would be better if they wouldnt force it in this way.
(pirating and double installations non withstanding)

If im right, then having a single copy of the game would - should enable two players co-op on a single machine.
While two copies bought would enable players to migrate the game back and forth and play online - in case when people are separated. - but when they come together then there would be no need to carry two computers or a laptop and whatever...

- this would be done solely for the ease of use of the customers. Which is a good thing. People like it.

And that could be a huge marketing angle, for a game that basically is developed in that direction. Maybe we just got a bit to used to being locked in our basements and "socializing" over the internet.

I did give Larians a suggestion for precisely this kind of gameplay experience marketing, when the kickstarter started, but never saw anything like it in their updates later on.
Guess now i know why.

Shame really. RPSs and Kotakus and IGNs of the world would gobble that like its mana from heaven. And it would make the game really, really stand out in its category and overall.

-edit--
Actually BG2 in LAN was a pretty good experience. That dialogue delay or a bit of waiting while one player clicks through it was really short anyway.
It just needed a few more simple adjustments to be even better.

Most of which DoS actually has integrated already.

Last edited by a moderator:

hiver

I just mentioned it since it was an option in old times.

Pretty sure it was a last resort type of multiplayer, i.e when netcode wasn't an option. Diablo for the PSX comes to mind.
Wasnt it the ONLY type of multiplayer? At the start.

Regardless, it is a good thing. However it came to be. Especially if it enables a single player story co-op.

The game is perfect for such close and personal co-op, especially since you can separate in the gameworld and dialogue against or with each other - in the game.

Imagine a couple who bought two copies to play together, personally and online, coming to home of one of them together, then realizing that they cannot just hook up a gamepad and play on one screen. One machine. Thats going to look weird.
(i would even give "split screen" or "no separating - one screen" options to people so they can choose whatever fits them at the moment)

St. Toxic

Arcane
Wasnt it the ONLY type of multiplayer? At the start.

You mean like

pong.jpeg

Regardless, it is a good thing. However it came to be. Especially if it enables a single player story co-op.

The game is perfect for such close and personal co-op, especially since you can separate in the gameworld and dialogue against or with each other - in the game.

I don't see any direct benefit to the player from playing the game on a single machine v.s playing it on a lan.

Imagine a couple who bought two copies to play together, personally and online, coming to home of one of them together, then realizing that they cannot just hook up a gamepad and play on one screen. One machine. Thats going to look weird.

What's weird is that they actually expect local-coop to be some sort of set standard and still buy two copies. Still, doesn't bother me either way, and if there's already a coop campaign in place, adding a local mode is a cinch. But so is setting up a lan, so who cares rite?

(i would even give "split screen" or "no separating - one screen" options to people so they can choose whatever fits them at the moment)

Well, it's probably easy as hell to implement.

hiver

pls dont derail the thred, ok surfsolar? tnxbye
:P

I don't see any direct benefit to the player from playing the game on a single machine v.s playing it on a lan.
Me neither.

I can see it for two players. Which is what am talkin a boot.

No need to lug a second PC/laptop around. No need to connect them and set it all up - if you dont feel like it. You sit next to each other and play - together.

microsoft or sonny would kill for this. KILL!
(ofcourse, this wouldnt be possible through any of their drms and shit, i just mean the main idea. psst - US market...!!)

Well, it's probably easy as hell to implement.
If you choose one screen - then you cannot separate characters in the game. If you choose split screen option, then as players go in opposite directions the screen just soft fades into two - which kinda... come together (that would play in the "trailer") - into one single screen - when they come together again.

oh...the moneyyy...

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenich

Cipher
What a fucking stupid thing to say... fucking newfags... for fuck sake...

New fag? Lol... you mean.. "new to posting on this site" I was writing code when you were still a stain on your daddies sears magazine you fucking twit. Don't spout off "newfag" shit to me you moronic corn seeking ass munching fucknot.

- they should be able to play on one PC in a single full screen - as long as they keep together in the game.

Why? A computer is a single person input device. You are asking for something extra ordinary for PC's and more specific to a fucking console. Go ahead moron, give me some examples of PC games providing "split screen" to any commonality? What is that? You can't? /boggle

- there should be some split screen (or something) if they separate (but it should be a clearly secondary option)

Or, you should go back and play your fucking tardsole. Split screen is a tardsole feature, built for tardsolers and all their fucking retarded might.

Run off to your tardsole game you fucking idiot! PC's are for people who can afford more than a fucking single screen to enjoy a game.

3. These options should exist for copies sold through other means, distributors or directly from Larian.

The only thing that should exist is IP (maybe LAN) capability, but past that... the whole "split-screen" is something that only a fucking idiot would demand as "standard". You do realize how fucking stupid you look demanding a feature that is almost non-existent in games other than fucking tardsoles? It makes you look like a fucking ass munching papamole tardsoling moron.

But hey... what do I know, I am just a "newfag" right?

Seriously, how you draw breath without extreme concentration is a mystery. Seriously, seek a doctor, scientist, or... hell the Guinness book of world records!

As your title points out, you are a major dumbfuck.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's strange to see hiver stray out of a Game of Thrones thread.

Anyway, according to my txt file, he's a veteran from the Balkans? I suspect he's quite old.

Lhynn

Arcane
It's strange to see hiver stray out of a Game of Thrones thread.

Anyway, according to my txt file, he's a veteran from the Balkans? I suspect he's quite old.
According to my txt pages in this thread are going to get really really long and annoying to read for a while, but it should be good.

hiver

for fuck sake, another complete moron whiteknighting developers like a retard. Nobody fucking asked you to you fucking imbecile. Whats youre so desperate for?

:lol: what a stupid dumb shit, look at that butthurt... :lol:

whatcha did? you wrote code didya? was that before foaming at the mouth or after :lol:
yes, youre a newfag. and a laughably stupid one, again. go back to the basement and tell mother about your awesome code :lol:

plus grasping for that tag put there by a pathetic shitty coward, to let everyone know how stupid and cheap he is... mhhmm... :lol:

dont be so bloody ridiculously stupid, mkay?

St. Toxic

Arcane
Why? A computer is a single person input device. You are asking for something extra ordinary for PC's and more specific to a fucking console. Go ahead moron, give me some examples of PC games providing "split screen" to any commonality? What is that? You can't? /boggle

Split-screen isn't very common, but it's hardly unprecedented. Apart from S2, which was mentioned earlier in the thread, I can only recall Serious Sam as another PC-centric game with split-screen support. As for local coop PC games, well there's actually plenty of those. In the realm of PC-only aRPG's one can point to Magicka, which would be a fairly typical example. Just check "Couch-coop" in the search filter on co-optimus, you might be surprised.

Also,

I was writing code when you were still a stain on your daddies sears magazine you fucking twit.

Real classy. :hero:

No need to lug a second PC/laptop around. No need to connect them and set it all up - if you dont feel like it. You sit next to each other and play - together.

Maybe I'm conservative, but I'd still prefer to make a local network and play with my own gear rather than share. No need for awkward control-schemes, mouse v.s controller or double-mouse set-ups, screen-lock bullshit or on-screen confusion, halved field of vision and other local coop nonsense. If I don't feel like setting up a lan, I'll either stay at home and play over the net, or I'll come over and we can do something other than play videyogayms.

Don't get me wrong. Local coop is nifty for games that you might play for an hour; your average twitchy platformer fighting racing games etc. But for games with inventory management, dialog-screens, stat allocation and hundreds of hours of gameplay it doesn't seem particularly relevant.

microsoft or sonny would kill for this. KILL!
(ofcourse, this wouldnt be possible through any of their drms and shit, i just mean the main idea. psst - US market...!!)

It's hardly a novel concept, bro, and it doesn't generate any profit.

If you choose one screen - then you cannot separate characters in the game. If you choose split screen option, then as players go in opposite directions the screen just soft fades into two - which kinda... come together (that would play in the "trailer") - into one single screen - when they come together again.

I've seen that somewhere. I mean, it works, but it can also get pretty fucking confusing when there's a lot going on. How do you want to split the screen, vertical or horizontal?

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I remember a lot games back in the day where each person would have like half the keyboard to control the game.

I think Battle Isle might have done this.

Murk

Arcane
Split screen would be a waste of time and resources; and I imagine it would ramp up the tech-requirements for hardware as well since you would effectively be processing twice as much? I may not have the numbers down but if you are live-rendering areas then if characters are in two different areas (as is a big appeal for the co-op play here) you would have to load both areas, account for scripts in both areas, and also process the graphics of both areas.

I don't think I'd even want to test it.

hiver

I remember a lot games back in the day where each person would have like half the keyboard to control the game.

I think Battle Isle might have done this.

I played plenty with a gamepad attached for the other person. Some games could be even played on one keyboard (most arcade games), but if you need a mouse the easiest or only solution was a gamepad.

... well, hmm... considering this is a turn based game, you could actually play it with just one keyboard+mouse, but two players - If devs would allow such an option.

Thats how we played Fallout back in the day. Actually. :)
SP and all that, but still.

Murk

Arcane
Combat is turn based but movement/exploration isn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom