Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Splitscreen is for TARDSOLES - Hiver vs Xenich

Gord

Arcane
Well, in principle you can play it two players one pc - one player has to control the movement of the party, then when dialogue starts, each player chooses the response for his own char. Combat is TB and can be hotseated as is. Only restriction would be that you need to keep the party together.
Now stop 'spergin, hiver.

Last edited:

St. Toxic

Arcane
Split screen would be a waste of time and resources; and I imagine it would ramp up the tech-requirements for hardware as well since you would effectively be processing twice as much?

Pretty sure it wouldn't have any noticeable impact on performance.

... well, hmm... considering this is a turn based game, you could actually play it with just one keyboard+mouse, but two players - If devs would allow such an option.

Hot-seat is pretty standard for multiplayer tb games, but it gets sort of tedious in my opinion. Was doing some 2v2 in HoMM3 end of last year with a couple of friends, and it ended up feeling like a single-player 4-race game once we got tired of throwing the mouse back and forth.

hiver

Hot-seat is pretty standard for multiplayer tb games, but it gets sort of tedious in my opinion. Was doing some 2v2 in HoMM3 end of last year with a couple of friends, and it ended up feeling like a single-player 4-race game once we got tired of throwing the mouse back and forth.
Ofcourse, when no gameplay is adjusted. In this game, which is built for co-op, im guessing it would fit.

Well, in principle....
Thanks, genious. Now fuck off and go back and read what i actually said instead of reading posts by imbeciles and then replying to me. If that wouldnt be TOO GODAMN HARD?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Linux (well, systemd linuxes) will soon have 'multiseat' which is two sessions on the same computer going to different monitors. Should be usable for playing lan games without special support. Maybe.
Obviously it would be extra processor painful, so not the best solution.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Ofcourse, when no gameplay is adjusted. In this game, which is built for co-op, im guessing it would fit.

Is it actually built for co-op, i.e you want a second player with you or your ability to play the game suffers etc, or does it simply support co-op but does fine without it? Also, while tb-combat means you can take turns with P2 (although, why would you, when you can control both players while P2 just tells you what to do?), the rest of the game, I assume, works differently. Just have P2 char follow you around on a leash until combat or dialog presents itself?

Linux (well, systemd linuxes) will soon have 'multiseat' which is two sessions on the same computer going to different monitors. Should be usable for playing lan games without special support. Maybe.

I like. You can do something similar with virtual OS as well at this very moment, no? Just involves semi-painful config controls for anything mouse-based like an rts.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Very possibly yes. Setup the window manager to send a workspace to another monitor and start the virtual machine there.
But systemd would allow using cgroups to enforce things like 'each user gets 50% of the processor' i don't know how the scheduler would like the virtual machine scheme.
Graphics card would be another PITA too that i dont think cgroups manages. But its probably possible to assign machines with multiple cards to a seat (if you're curious : http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat/ )

St. Toxic

Arcane
Very possibly yes. Setup the window manager to send a workspace to another monitor and start the virtual machine there.
But systemd would allow using cgroups to enforce things like 'each user gets 50% of the processor' i don't know how the scheduler would like the virtual machine scheme.
Graphics card would be another PITA too that i dont think cgroups manages.

Hell, I got 6 cores that do fuck all for the most part. Guessing that could come in handy here. Only really useful for old games anyway, stuff that utilizes outdated IPX etc. I'd give it a shot for the hell of it, but no one wants to play ancient games anymore.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I believe cores are assignable. Heck you can do it from the normal shell with a wine and a affinity utlity. The question is if it is going to be easy to use and integrated into the user session. Id love to partition a core or two to a user, create a new session and plugin in a keyboard and a monitor and instant lan party. Small lan party of course.
Or for instance, there would be no reason for you to wait for your parents to quit the computer or viceversa since the hardware is managed. Just turn on the monitor and start your session.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Essentially small-scale cloud computing.

hiver Larry-Ann need not worry about local coop, bro. Do an SCO setup, Linnux or VPC -- no matter -- and you can play your favorite Direct-IP games in local coop on a single rig practically hassle free.

hiver

Is it actually built for co-op, i.e you want a second player with you or your ability to play the game suffers etc, or does it simply support co-op but does fine without it? Also, while tb-combat means you can take turns with P2 (although, why would you, when you can control both players while P2 just tells you what to do?), the rest of the game, I assume, works differently. Just have P2 char follow you around on a leash until combat or dialog presents itself?
:hmmm::what::retarded:

oh, no... nooo, its not built for co-op, nooooooo, of course noooot. what ever gave you that idea.

- its a system where another player can jump in and out at any time. while where there is just one player, you get to have ordinary companions and play solo.
companions are also available for co-op.

havent been following updates have we?

I believe cores are assignable. Heck you can do it from the normal shell with a wine and a affinity utlity. The question is if it is going to be easy to use and integrated into the user session. Id love to partition a core or two to a user, create a new session and plugin in a keyboard and a monitor and instant lan party. Small lan party of course.
Or for instance, there would be no reason for you to wait for your parents to quit the computer or viceversa since the hardware is managed. Just turn on the monitor and start your session.
Mantle.

itz getting there.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I'm not even sure which game we're talking about.

But this,

its a system where another player can jump in and out at any time. while where there is just one player, you get to have ordinary companions and play solo.

sounds like coop support, not coop centered. What was that diablo clone called, torchlamp? Something like that?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But I thought systemd was the devil and everyone should use sysv

What would be really cool is if you could dynamically allocate resources. User 1 gets a min of 1 core and a max of 3 user 2 gets a min of 2 cores and a max of 5. The scheduler figures how to best assign the "middle" cores.

hiver

wait... ill go and read the title of the thread.

- were cool! we are still in DoS thread! -

Xenich

Cipher
for fuck sake, another complete moron whiteknighting developers like a retard. Nobody fucking asked you to you fucking imbecile. Whats youre so desperate for?

:lol: what a stupid dumb shit, look at that butthurt... :lol:

whatcha did? you wrote code didya? was that before foaming at the mouth or after :lol:
yes, youre a newfag. and a laughably stupid one, again. go back to the basement and tell mother about your awesome code :lol:

plus grasping for that tag put there by a pathetic shitty coward, to let everyone know how stupid and cheap he is... mhhmm... :lol:

You were the "Dumbfuck" trying to demand "split-screen" in a PC game. Don't get angry at me because your mother changed from pro-life to pro-choice after having you. Don't fret it kid, these days stupid is in fashion and you fit right in. So sail along there and here is hoping you win this years Darwin award!

Xenich

Cipher
Why? A computer is a single person input device. You are asking for something extra ordinary for PC's and more specific to a fucking console. Go ahead moron, give me some examples of PC games providing "split screen" to any commonality? What is that? You can't? /boggle

Split-screen isn't very common, but it's hardly unprecedented. Apart from S2, which was mentioned earlier in the thread, I can only recall Serious Sam as another PC-centric game with split-screen support. As for local coop PC games, well there's actually plenty of those. In the realm of PC-only aRPG's one can point to Magicka, which would be a fairly typical example. Just check "Couch-coop" in the search filter on co-optimus, you might be surprised.

Didn't say "unprecedented" I said "uncommon" and I would argue "rare" would be a more appropriate term.

I was writing code when you were still a stain on your daddies sears magazine you fucking twit.
Real classy. :hero:

He came out swinging, I just didn't bother fighting and put a bullet through his eye. Stupid confrontational people deserve no less.

hiver

No, i was a someone who mentioned a split screen option among several others, yes for a PC game, where such games and various double control setups were common.

You on the other hand are the real, literal dumbfuck with ludicrous whitekngihting devs arrrghh!!! reaction is that "people should not play PC games if they dont have two computers!!".
- and its additionally funny that it is always, always, 100% cases that only real dumbfucks feel the need to reach for the tag, in that fucking same hysteric desperation as always. I just said it to someone not a day or two ago. welcome to the super club of greatest dumbfucks, imbeciles and pathetic subhuman shits of the codex.

That wasnt "coming out swinging". That was just laughing at the simpleton retard and his brain failing. You. Which you then promptly confirmed in that frothing display of utter idiocy, imbecility and sub human stupidity.
Also, St. Toxic post is ironic. Not an actual praise. Cheap stupid shit.
Nor am i a kid, whoever you may want to imagine it - which, btw, just shows how pathetic you are - and is pretty laughable around here.

Stupid confrontational people deserve no less.
Thats why you dont deserve anything else. Actually. Being a fucking laughable stupid cunt with a tiny festering turd in your pathetic skull.

- edit -

that isnrt meant as an insult, btw.

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

hiver

No need to lug a second PC/laptop around. No need to connect them and set it all up - if you dont feel like it. You sit next to each other and play - together.

Maybe I'm conservative, but I'd still prefer to make a local network and play with my own gear rather than share.
Toxic. Im talking. About. Playing with someone next to you. I know youre alone and everything but that actually happens. Besides, if you want, you can set up LAN yourself, with the current scheme and plan for the game.
As in, you have that option.

No need for awkward control-schemes, mouse v.s controller or double-mouse set-ups, screen-lock bullshit or on-screen confusion, halved field of vision and other local coop nonsense.
Sure, they would all be flashing over the screen together.

If I don't feel like setting up a lan, I'll either stay at home and play over the net, or I'll come over and we can do something other than play videyogayms.
Yes, so?

i dont give a fuck what you would like to do, especially since there is nothing stopping you from doing it since - you have those options. hint?

Don't get me wrong.
:hmmm:

Local coop is nifty for games that you might play for an hour;
What the fuck do you care how long might i play something? Since when is that your business?

:p

- if i didnt leave this here you would have thought i was serious... wouldnt you? ... you fucking f!

your average twitchy platformer fighting racing games etc.
thats not mine. honest officer! st. Toxic just dropped them here and ran off... in that direction ->

But for games with inventory management, dialog-screens, stat allocation and hundreds of hours of gameplay it doesn't seem particularly relevant.
:gumpyhead:

Yeah. Good of you to tell me. Otherwise... huh.. who knows what could have happened?

It's hardly a novel concept, bro, and it doesn't generate any profit.
You are starting to annoy me Toxic...

Of course it is not a novel concept, it is one very well known and working for a wide group of consumers. Especially in US market, if it is marketed right. Its not rocket science.

doesnt generate... heh... any profit he tells me... heh...
(mumble.fuckin knock his teeth out..) yes, yes thanks Toxic. thumbsup - Lucky i have the relevant person like you to ask and get that amazing fact from.

Ever heard about them steam boxes lately maybe? Steam OSes and shit?

Dots dont connect? maybe you should go work for EA marketing. that should bring the fucks down finally...

If you choose one screen - then you cannot separate characters in the game. If you choose split screen option, then as players go in opposite directions the screen just soft fades into two - which kinda... come together (that would play in the "trailer") - into one single screen - when they come together again.

I've seen that somewhere. I mean, it works, but it can also get pretty fucking confusing when there's a lot going on. How do you want to split the screen, vertical or horizontal?[/quote]
Whatever. i dont care dimwit.

Whatever works better. In a theoretical option of a theoretical possibility of devs actually adding this - which is highly unlikely anyway.

Is there any special reason why you got hung up on split screen options and co-op that you would never use?
Did it steal jam from you donut maybe?

Are you going to be all :rage:....:rage:....:rage: if some two people play it together, sitting together?

You have some...split personality problems?

Whats the fixation?

tell me... ill help.

-edit-

well ok, thats not fair of me.

Look here, split screen is just an option that inevitably pops up when you think about two people playing co-op on one computer. You cant just avoid considering it. And it does have its own demands, as any features does, but generally, nothing overblown since its such a well known technology that was used in many games.
Larian could avoid it by making it mandatory that two characters are traveling together.

LAN itself is a zero problem, of course. A lot of people will probably bring over their laptops to play together.
But thats just a part of the audience.

then again, i did say all this already...

Last edited by a moderator:

hiver

Oh, the usual... random dumbfuck projecting his stupidity around.

- Cant say i remember either. someone else will help you.

Stabbey

Learned
I believe that back during the Kickstarter, someone from Larian made comments that they realize not every house has two full-fledged gaming computers, so they were aiming Original Sin to be playable on laptops that may be a bit lower-end. So even back then, it was about having two computers, not a split-screen thing.

Implementing split-screen would be a great deal of interface work.

It does fine without co-op. You still get the second party member, and they still have dialogues with each other. In the alpha, you have to manually choose both responses, but eventually, you can eventually assign an AI personality to your companion
that will pick responses to the dialogues automatically.

What the fuck happened to this thread?

BTW, I Know I am stupid but its been awhile that I played Divine Divinity, but when I Level up my character, what more can I Do than allocating a point to a stat? Like, get another skill, attack or such? Doesnt that work with the Books rather?

The game is also really beautiful, but I can hear my GPU making really loud noises, so I toned the eye candy a Bit down..

I assume you're talking about Original Sin. When you level up, you always get 3 Ability Points, which you can spend to increase your Abilities. Abilities increase the effectiveness of your skills, weapons, or something else depending on the ability. Additionally, when you reach even-numbered levels, you get one Primary Attribute point, and when you reach odd-numbered levels, you get one Talent point, which grant you special perks.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Toxic. Im talking. About. Playing with someone next to you.

Sounds like the perfect lan opportunity. :thumbsup:

I know youre alone and everything but that actually happens.

Oohhhh, sick burrrn.

Besides, if you want, you can set up LAN yourself, with the current scheme and plan for the game.
As in, you have that option.

Gee, thanks pal. Guess one of us is getting what they want, huh?

Sure, they would all be flashing over the screen together.

What, you don't think it's a common problem for split-screen games? We're talking about a potential of a duplicate character p. screen when you intersect, if they go for the cheap route.

Yes, so?

i dont give a fuck what you would like to do, especially since there is nothing stopping you from doing it since - you have those options. hint?

Look, Hiver, I was doing HARD CODE while you were still a shitstain on your grandfathers mustache, so don't F*** with me kid!

What the fuck do you care how long might i play something? Since when is that your business?

What, I'm just concerned you'll burn yourself out in local coop and stop visiting the codex altogether.

doesnt generate... heh... any profit he tells me... heh...
(mumble.fuckin knock his teeth out..) yes, yes thanks Toxic. thumbsup - Lucky i have the relevant person like you to ask and get that amazing fact from.

Hay pal, you posted something about mucho dinero -- it's grade-A bullshit. There's no big moneyz to be milked from split-screen games.

Ever heard about them steam boxes lately maybe? Steam OSes and shit?

Dots dont connect? maybe you should go work for EA marketing. that should bring the fucks down finally...

I hadn't heard about SteamOS, but it sounds awful. We were talking about cloud computing earlier though, and how it basically doesn't need a local-coop mode if you can run several instances of the game simultaneously. JUST THINK ABOUT THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR WE CAN MAKE HERE! Challenge everything, Hiver, challenge everything.

Whatever. i dont care dimwit.

Whatever works better. In a theoretical option of a theoretical possibility of devs actually adding this - which is highly unlikely anyway.

Oh come on, that's just lazy. You can't even think of a preference?

Is there any special reason why you got hung up on split screen options and co-op that you would never use?
Did it steal jam from you donut maybe?

Are you going to be all :rage:....:rage:....:rage: if some two people play it together, sitting together?

I'm worried it might devolve into pan-slavism. Split-screen today, unified balkan state tomorrow. Is that really what you want, Hiver?

Look here, split screen is just an option that inevitably pops up when you think about two people playing co-op on one computer. You cant just avoid considering it. And it does have its own demands, as any features does, but generally, nothing overblown since its such a well known technology that was used in many games.
Larian could avoid it by making it mandatory that two characters are traveling together.

LAN itself is a zero problem, of course. A lot of people will probably bring over their laptops to play together.
But thats just a part of the audience.

It's the same coop-hungry audience, bro. Split-screen or lan, who cares rite? It's either one, or the other, or both, but not at the same time.

hiver

Oohhhh, sick burrrn.
Sorry. But you seem to totally disregard this aspect. which is the point of what im saying. Wasnt meant as a burn or anything else.

There's no big moneyz to be milked from split-screen games.
What split screen games? I was talking about a game that is made to be played with someone. Sitting next to you, for a change, instead of all this... dehumanization evil internet technology.
:changes voice into an american car salesman: With friends, ... loved ones.... family.
tR16Q9n.jpg

(ca-thciiiinggg)

What, you don't think it's a common problem for split-screen games?
Sure. As in - could be. But not all of those at once, together.

I'm worried it might devolve into pan-slavism. Split-screen today, unified balkan state tomorrow. Is that really what you want, Hiver?
Thats what the online co-op is for. but thanks anyway.

-
ill not respond to the rest of these vile, slanderous slanders. Out of respect for the elderly.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Sorry. But you seem to totally disregard this aspect. which is the point of what im saying. Wasnt meant as a burn or anything else.

Oh, come on. It's blatantly fucking obvious.

Toxic. Im talking. About. Playing with someone next to you. I know youre alone and everything but that actually happens.

Like, hurr durr motherfucker, I can't possibly understand the point of local coop because I've never actually played a game with another person in the same room. Give me a break here. How about local area networks, though, huh? They're pretty good, and impose practically no distance limitation. You can even form a human pyramid with your friends and play computer games at the same time. And when you're tired of doing that, you can nip down to the kitchen and play with your friends from there too.

hiver

Its not blatantly obvious. I am telling you there was no such intent. For a second or third time now. You should know i dont go lying about things like that. If i wanted to make such a stupid shitty connection i would tell you. And if i did then i would apologize for being a stupid shit.

No such intent.
Sorry if it came off differently.

Like, hurr durr motherfucker, I can't possibly understand the point of local coop because I've never actually played a game with another person in the same room. Give me a break here. How about local area networks, though, huh? They're pretty good, and impose practically no distance limitation. You can even form a human pyramid with your friends and play computer games at the same time. And when you're tired of doing that, you can nip down to the kitchen and play with your friends from there too.
yes, yes... all that will be more or less possible, i figure, since they do mean to support LAN, as someone said.

But what is not possible is for me to sit a girl next to me (not palls, buddies or "friends") and play together directly on a single machine. (which you completely disregard throughout this discussion, which was a reason for that sentence)
While the whole game approach seems to point that is its main attraction.

Actually, the two monitor setup would be the easiest and best of the options - but it does require another monitor. While split screen is simply the cheapest option to get two people to play the game together, directly.
Not from the other side of the room or from other parts of the house or online.

If i was doing the marketing for DoS, that would be one of the big selling points.
Which would be pretty much unique in the world of games, currently. (which by itself is a very valuable marketing angle)

St. Toxic

Arcane
Actually, the two monitor setup would be the easiest and best of the options - but it does require another monitor. While split screen is simply the cheapest option to get two people to play the game together, directly.

No, the cheapest option is turn-taking and making joint decisions.

hiver

Split screen is only necessary if you allow players to separate and travel individually. For the Rt part of the game the most, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom