Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squad-Level Tactical Games

baronjohn

Cipher
What about Project Eden?

helmen

Novice
To include in your list

PC
Series of Wizardry (turn +squad +first person)
Return to krondor (turn +squad)
Planescape: torment, baldur's gate, icewind dale, lionheart (RTwP, +squad)
Arcanum of steamwork and magick obscura (Turn/real time, +squad +fallout clone)
Eschalon: book (phase-based +single character)
Pool of radiance (+turn +squad)

MMos
Gunrox
Poxnora

Oldgames
Realms of arcadia (turn +squad)
Darklands (RTwP +squad +sandbox)
Albion (turn +squad)
Wasteland (prequel of fallout)
Syndicate (+real time whit pause? +squad)

Open Source
DccNightmare (turn +squad or single character?)
LostLabyrinth (turn +multi single character +roguelike)
FreeSynd

Consoles
Dungeons & Dragons: Eye of the Beholder (+turn +squad +gbadvance)
Warhammer 40000: Squad Command (+turn +squad +ds/psp)
Final fantasy tactics (+turn +squad)
Battles of Prince of Persia (+turn +squad +ds)

helmen

Novice
Assnuggets said:
helmen said:
To include in your list
Can you position your squaddies individually on the playing field in any of these games?
Yes:

Wizardry (only on a small defined place)
Return to krondor (yes)
Planescape: torment, baldur's gate, icewind dale, lionheart (yes)
Arcanum of steamwork and magick obscura (yes)
Pool of radiance (yes)

MMos
Gunrox (yes)
Poxnora (yes)

Oldgames
Realms of arcadia (yes)
Darklands (yes)
Albion ( (Yes, but only as chess)
Wasteland (sob sob :roll: )
Syndicate (yes)

Consoles
Dungeons & Dragons: Eye of the Beholder (yes)
Warhammer 40000: Squad Command (yes)
Final fantasy tactics (yes)
Battles of Prince of Persia (yes)

Assnuggets said:
helmen said:
The fife project and his results http://fifengine.de/
FIFE is still in a tech demo stage as of this time. It's not even in public alpha yet IIRC.

Add another 2 game
Oldgames:
Spellcross (tactical +turn +squad, yes you move freely in the field)

Console:
Koudelka psx (tactical +turn +squad, you move in a "large" table like a chess)

:)

I like the Tactical rpg, is one of my favorite genres

mvBarracuda

Augur
helmen said:
The fife project and his results http://fifengine.de/
FIFE is still in a tech demo stage as of this time. It's not even in public alpha yet IIRC.
How do you classify that? The project is public since the very beginning offering anyonymous SVN checkout so everyone can get their hands on the code so how is that not public?

Severian Silk

mvBarracuda said:
The project is public since the very beginning offering anyonymous SVN checkout so everyone can get their hands on the code
And do what with it exactly?

Also:

FIFE blog said:
While there is still a long way to go before we will see a full featured release of PARPG, we would like to release a tech demo of PARPG as soon as possible.

So it hasn't even reached tech demo stage yet.

I'm not trying to diss your project. My point was just that it is inappropriate for this thread since it's not ... you know ... an actual game or anywhere near being able to run one yet.

Severian Silk

This is a PC RPG forum. Why would I list console games?

Maybe you would like to create your own forum so that you can list these games? I hear that web space is cheap these days...

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Assnuggets said:

Maybe you would like to create your own forum so that you can list these games? I hear that web space is cheap these days...

Huh? WTF? - where does it mention anywhere in this forum, or anywhere on this site for that matter, that it's PC only?

Not that I care, I'm predominately a PC gamer anyway as is most of the codex, but there are pleanty of console related threads on this forum. And contrary to common belief, there are actually a few squad based tactical console games worth mentioning.

mvBarracuda

Augur
Assnuggets said:
mvBarracuda said:
The project is public since the very beginning offering anyonymous SVN checkout so everyone can get their hands on the code
And do what with it exactly?
You know, create games with it? Like UH, PARPG and Zero dev teams are doing?
http://www.unknown-horizons.org/site/
http://blog.parpg.net/
http://zero-projekt.net/

Assnuggets said:
Also:

FIFE blog said:
While there is still a long way to go before we will see a full featured release of PARPG, we would like to release a tech demo of PARPG as soon as possible.

So it hasn't even reached tech demo stage yet.

I'm not trying to diss your project. My point was just that it is inappropriate for this thread since it's not ... you know ... an actual game or anywhere near being able to run one yet.
You should NOT mix up FIFE and PARPG. We want to release a first techdemo of PARPG at the end of the year. FIFE has been pretty much out of techdemo stage since years. The reason why you can read about PARPG at the FIFE blog is because all FIFE-based games news are aggregated there as well.

helmen

Novice
AlaCarcuss said:
Assnuggets said:

Huh? WTF? - where does it mention anywhere in this forum, or anywhere on this site for that matter, that it's PC only?

Yes, no one has said.
Assnuggets you are very mannerless, i just signed up to participate in your discussion, i have mentioned and highlighted (at your request) many games for PC beyond those few for consoles and however you did not even adduced in the first message.
YOURSELF in your list added games for consoles like Rebelstar! ...hypocrite

Severian Silk

OK, I added some of the games you listed. I need some verification by other members on the others.

Crichton

Prophet
I like tactics games, but I'm not much for taxonomy, so I usually stay out of these threads, but it really seems like your list is going in a bunch of different directions.

On the one hand, you have games that depend on positioning units in the face of the enemy (a common definition of tactics), like the ToEE, the gold box games, Silent Storm, etc.

But then you have games like Commandos or it's clones (Robin Hood) where all you can really do is move one unit around while the others stand guard (basically there's no giving orders while paused, so you can move two units simultaneously).

And to round it out, you've got Dark Omen on there, which is a tactics game, but the level of command is units of men, not men, so it's not a "squad tactics" game by any stretch of the imagination.

You also include Darklands, but you don't include the vast horde of RTwP fantasy squad tactics games out there (IE games, Drakensang, Dragon Age, etc); which is a particularly curious omission since you include things like Strike Squad that have a much more primitive RTwP system.

My Advice:

-Cut the list in half, fantasy "party" games on one side (Darklands, IE games, ToEE, Goldbox games), sci-fi/modern/WWII "squad" games on the other (Silent Storm, X-com, Rebelstar, Space Hulk).

-Limit the list to games that are turn-based or allow giving orders while paused to cut down confusion and specify which is which on the list (so cut out Commandos and Seal Team and don't include things like SWAT4; Mass Effect 1+2 are actually an interesting case here since they do allow you to order movement and actions while paused).

-If you want to include larger scale tactics games like Dark Omen, Total War, Knights of Honor, etc) make a separate list for them.

Miscellanea:

Arcanum has no party control, it's basically a cross between the NWN1 henchmen system and FO2. (still a great game)

Age of Decadence has no party period. (Because VD is a dipshit that doesn't give a damn about gameplay)

If you're including console stuff like D&D: Tactics, you should definitely include Final Fantasy: Tactics, FFT Advance, Tactics Ogre, Tactics Ogre Advance (even though it's crap), Vandal Hearts and a whole host of other games I can't think of off the top of my head. The nippers usually call them "strategy RPGs" because no one knows what tactics and strategy mean anymore.

chemchok

Novice
I see you have Wizard's Crown listed - you should add its sequel, The Eternal Dagger.

Severian Silk

Added Xenonauts, Heroes of Jin Yong, Phase: Exodus, Exile, Nethergate and a bunch of JA2 total conversion mods.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Um, forgive me if this is already mentioned - I only skimmed the first and last page of this thread, but I can't see the Myth series by Bungie mentioned anywhere. Two of the finest tactical squad based games ever made? (well, actually I just started playing the first one - but so far it's freaking awesome).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom