Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squad-Level Tactical Games

Severian Silk

I have Flash turned off. What is it?

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I just found out you can get a bunch of old Game Gear games on the Ninendo store. Two that I played years ago on the GG are Crystal Warriors and Shinng Force: Sword of Hyja (sp?)

I don't know if either one is worth the $4.99 considering you can probably emulate them easily but..

Crystal Warriors is rather forgettable although its not terrible..I don't think I finished it but I still vaguely remember it..for whatever thats worth. The SF game actually made me nostalgic for the old Genesis games. You don't get town wandering but its still pretty decent. One thing I remember though is that Blaze 2 is bugged and is really Blaze 3. Man does that hurt the first time it hits you.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Wrong thread. jRPGs and weaboo stuff is in different section.

Anyway - tried that Hired Guns: Jagged Edge and.... it's somewhat better than JA:BiA.
Some minor stuff are better, like armours that can be repaired (!). Who played BiA then know how it worked - no pay for mercenaries cause all your dosh going for armor and vest shipments.
AI is not great yet not the BiA cannon fodder level. While every enemy in BiA have aimbot (harrasing my sniper Raven with pistols on bigger range than her rifle is beyond retardation) enemies from HG:JAzz are ex-XCOM member because they throw grenades at you when they spot you.
There was some EXPO or similiar more than decade ago, where devs showed gameplay where they get constantly ass pounding with grenade spam. Hilarious.

And no, it's not RTwP, it's turn based.

tl;dr - looks fun on paper, like JA2 yet it's somewhat boring in practice.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

I scanned through this thread to see if this topic had been brought up yet and didn't see it, but the Close Combat series, while an excellent tactical series, is not Squad level. The general scope of the game has you commanding 15 squads or team sized units. Roughly a small company. You could certainly debate at what scope it ceases to be Squad level(Myth for example sometimes has you commanding 25 or more individuals) but in Close Combat you don't command individuals. You can only order around teams/squads whose individual members then attempt to intelligently follow out orders using AI.

It's a great series but if you consider Close Combat to be a squad level game then a lot of other stuff should be considered squad level as well; the Total War series for example which equally consists or controlling a dozen units whose individual members attempt to intelligently follow out orders using AI.

Also BloodBowl is a Squad Based tactical game that has been left off the list. It represents a sports game instead of violent conflict but having different objectives and rules than the typical squad level tactical game actually allows it to be more tactically complex than many of the games on the list IMO.

OK, thanks!

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
Add new games please:

Legends of War: Patton 22/02/2013 TBS

It very cool tactical game! But no one knows it :(

I really liked this game. I remember when it came out on PSN but that was during the months long downtime. I picked it up the day PSN came back up. The game it reminds me most of is even more obscure, Pathway to Glory for the Nokia N-Gage. Pathway to Glory is seriously one of the best games in the genre ever. Patton is a little less than that maybe, but still very awesome. And now you can get the cart for 3DS and playstation (I don't know which platforms..I think PSP and PS3?)

I read once that the plan was to produce more Legends of War Games. Like the next one would be Hannibal or Alexander the Great.

I'm not sure if you can emulate NGage or not. If you buy one (they're not pricey) I think you actually have to put a working SIM card into the phone to play the game. Which is annoying, but its still worth it. There is another tactics game for the NGage based on Riftwars but I didn't like that game at all. I also believe there is a second Pathway to Glory that focuses on the Pacific but I never picked it up.

Severian Silk

Would Cold Contract qualify for your list?
_____
rezaf
Interesting. A roguelike JA2 clone. Added.

I not see good tactical RTS in list, please add - Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy

is this game still available on PSN by chance?

I play it on PC, i buy it on MatrixGames. http://www.matrixgames.com/store/436/HISTORY.Legends.of.War I don't know about PSN.

This looks like a regular RTS according to the LP I watched. Individual units don't seem to be important. You just select the group as a single blob.

Add new games please:

Legends of War: Patton 22/02/2013 TBS

It very cool tactical game! But no one knows it :(
I can't tell if you control vehicles and artillery as well as a squad of soldiers. This list is meant to be limited in this way.

No, i think you not right, it tactical game, with classic game rules, like XCOM.

For exemple, on XCOM we have tanks :)

Okay. Close enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

roshan

Arcane
Incognito (TBA) [turn-based tactical espionage]

This is a dead link. The only Incognito game I can find seems to be a shooter:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/348530/

Xenonauts (TBA) [in development]
Telepath Tactics
Halfway (TBA) [awesome retro graphics]
Invisible, Inc. (TBA) [espionage-themed game on Steam early access]
Wasteland 2 (TBA) [in development, kickstarter]

These have already been released...

Also can the various seemingly canceled/dead projects be moved to a different category? A pretty large chunk of the list consists of canceled or abandoned projects.

Tangut Prophesy, The (TBA) [a realistic cRPG on FOnline engine set in XII century China by CrazyLoon]Zaharia (TBA) [middle-eastern setting]
PARPG (TBA) [in development, FIFE engine]
What Remains (TBA) [FOnline engine post-apocalyptic game by Surf Solar]
Dreamland Chronicles, The (N/A) [cancelled remake by Julian Gollop]
Tactica Online [cancelled]
Dark Triad: Akhazal Quest, The (TBA) [in development, 3D-isometric turn-based, story driven cRPG]
UFO: The Two Sides (TBA) [freeware, multiplayer remake, in development]
Project Xenocide (DOA)[open source, discontinued]
PSG RebelSquad (TBA)
X-Com: Project Colonisation (????) [dead link][in development]
X-Commandos (TBA) [in development]
X-Force: Fight for Destiny (TBA) [in development]
Bourgeoisie (????) [dead link]
Outcome (????) [real-time, dead link]

Severian Silk

Incognito (TBA) [turn-based tactical espionage]

This is a dead link. The only Incognito game I can find seems to be a shooter:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/348530/

Xenonauts (TBA) [in development]
Telepath Tactics
Halfway (TBA) [awesome retro graphics]
Invisible, Inc. (TBA) [espionage-themed game on Steam early access]
Wasteland 2 (TBA) [in development, kickstarter]

These have already been released...

Also can the various seemingly canceled/dead projects be moved to a different category? A pretty large chunk of the list consists of canceled or abandoned projects.

Tangut Prophesy, The (TBA) [a realistic cRPG on FOnline engine set in XII century China by CrazyLoon]Zaharia (TBA) [middle-eastern setting]
PARPG (TBA) [in development, FIFE engine]
What Remains (TBA) [FOnline engine post-apocalyptic game by Surf Solar]
Dreamland Chronicles, The (N/A) [cancelled remake by Julian Gollop]
Tactica Online [cancelled]
Dark Triad: Akhazal Quest, The (TBA) [in development, 3D-isometric turn-based, story driven cRPG]
UFO: The Two Sides (TBA) [freeware, multiplayer remake, in development]
Project Xenocide (DOA)[open source, discontinued]
PSG RebelSquad (TBA)
X-Com: Project Colonisation (????) [dead link][in development]
X-Commandos (TBA) [in development]
X-Force: Fight for Destiny (TBA) [in development]
Bourgeoisie (????) [dead link]
Outcome (????) [real-time, dead link]
Okay, done.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Starship Troopers : Terran Ascendency

This looks like a regular RTS according to the LP I watched. Individual units don't seem to be important. You just select the group as a single blob.

Well, you do because it is a RTS, and you need heavy firepower to defeat the bugs, but, losing units does hurt (they have XP and/or officer ranks, allowing them to get access to better gear, you have a fixed roster, with replacements for the guys who did not make it). I don't remember exactly the way it played, but it definitely clicked as a platoon level tactical game to me when I played it 15 years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom