Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squad-Level Tactical Games

sser

Arcane
Developer
Starship Troopers is somewhat underrated, but I dunno if I'd call it good. More like a run of the mill, average game. It didn't really utilize the setting well when it comes to actually interesting gameplay. Best thing about it was that it utilized the book's power armor, wherein late game units piloted sweeping destruction over the bugs. The graphics were actually very impressive for the time, though.

IMO, a better use of movie license can be found in the Alien RTS:

^ Wasn't half-bad for an RTS played on consoles.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Just common parlance.

Not that I'd put that game on the list or anything, though, as it was strictly Xbox/Playstation.

How about, Chroma Squad.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Star Sentinels Tactis has been released quite some time ago. I have yet to find a positive review for it (but I haven't tried it myself).
There is a Legion of Steel game in development, based on the board game(which is some kind of a complexified Space Hulk, with additions like suppression fire. The theme is man vs machine, instead of aliens), by Slitherine. It is currently in beta.

You should also add Ultimate Space Commando (out now), which let you control a small squad of 4 guys in turn based combat against aliens.
From the Steam reviews, it looks like a very good combat system coupled with a bad looting and inventory management system (Steam rating : positive).

Battle Brothers too(early access), could fit in there, as a medieval mercenary band game (with a squad of 12).

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher
Didn't see them on the list, although i didn't search that long.
Shadowrun current trilogy, Fallen A2P Protocol, Satellite Reign, Hard West, Xenonauts, Divinity Original Sin series, Fallout Tactics.

spectre

Arcane
Does anyone recall the name of the JA2 inspired game by some Finnish(?) guy?
I think I saw it greenlit on steam and we had a thread a few months back, but I can't find it for the life of me and I wanted to check its progress.

Vityaz

Augur
Does anyone recall the name of the JA2 inspired game by some Finnish(?) guy?
I think I saw it greenlit on steam and we had a thread a few months back, but I can't find it for the life of me and I wanted to check its progress.

Was it Cold Case by any chance?

The author abandoned it and took it off Steam. It gained mostly negative reviews and was buggy.

spectre

Arcane
I was actually asking for End State, so thanks Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

It seems the dev still posts stuff on steam from time to time, but nothing major, just "we're still alive and doing stuff".

vean

Scholar
Might want to add the other two mode7 games, Frozen Synapse Prime (remake for consoles/mobile, but also runs on PC) and Frozen Cortex.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Why is Door Kickers on abandoned/cancelled list? It's been released over a year ago.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
What game can I play that has the following requirements:

• AI
  • Randomised or buttload of scenarios
  • 5-30 minutes per game
  • No unlocks/purchases/progression
  • No/few dice rolls
  • Party composition
  • Runs on 800x600 window

Emulators and mods welcome.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Can I sperg here one minute?

I followed Duelyst since the kickstarter, I loved the graphics, game came out and I didn't play until today. I came in, and FUCK ME. The game is like...my fucking dreamgame. Tactics with card and mana management, good factions, awesome spells, well designed, the graphics are beautiful hand drawn pixel art.

And then they mounted a bloody MTG/F2P scheme on top. Wanna get cards? Play ranked. No no but I want to pl. Nope, ranked, fuck you. Daily quests if not, play like a bloody moron for 4h to get some pocket change for cards. Don't play what you want, play what we tell you.

Okay, I am a grownup 9-5 loser so I can spend some dosh to unlock all the shit and...nope. Slot machine boosters. Highest tier is prohibitive and doesn't assure you get any of the cards you want because balance or whatever. Grind for specific cards.

FUCK.

THAT.

NOISE.

And fuck the generation that enabled these schemes.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

• AI
  • 5-30 minutes per game
  • No/few dice rolls
  • Party composition
  • Runs on 800x600 window

Space Hulk?
It has a lot of dice rolls, but otherwise would fit the bill. Play the original ones (that got renamed Alien Assault of something).
The Ascension one adds stuff you don't like to the formula.
Or you can go with the original Laser Squad.
You can also go with Comabt Mission, although it has a larger scale than squad.

Good old Laser Squad Nemesis also has it all, but I don't know how playable it is these days, given that it was MP focused, and the official servers have closed.
The recent Steel Legion might also work. At least, the boardgame itis based on offers just that (minus the few dice rolls).

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane

• AI
  • 5-30 minutes per game
  • No/few dice rolls
  • Party composition
  • Runs on 800x600 window

Also, the list of requirement does seem to describe Silent Storm, and S2 Sentinels to a certain extent.

Specifically, AI. if you play slow and methodical, AI may fuck you in the ass. They do try to flank, and ambush your squad. If you know enough rules to play hard-charging gun-blazing 007, you might break their planning. But slow and methodical might get you a bullet to the head, or a hail of bullets to the face when you round the corner etc...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom