Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Square Enix says "hey maybe we should make games for the people who like them"

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ly-default-success-sparks-square-enix-rethink

The success of superb Japanese role-playing game Bravely Default has sparked a rethink at publisher Square Enix.

In an interview with Nikkei Trendy (translated by Siliconera), Square Enix president admitted the company had "lost its focus" when trying to make its home console games for a global audience.

This, Matsuda admitted, had resulted in lower than expected sales - a well-documented issue for the publisher.

But the success of Bravely Default has shown that what is considered a niche, Japanese-focused game can enjoy international success, and so Square Enix is rethinking how it's making future games, such as the next Hitman title.

"If you focus too much on the global aspect, you might lose sight of who you're actually making the game for," Matsuda said.

"For example, if you look back at 2013, we've had some home console games made for a global audience that struggled."

jpg

Matsuda referenced IO Interactive's Hitman: Absolution, which some criticised for deviating too far from the core stealth-based Hitman gameplay of previous titles.

"The development team for Hitman: Absolution really struggled in this regard," he said. "They implemented a vast amount of 'elements for the mass' instead of for the core fans, as a way to try getting as many new players possible.

"It was a strategy to gain mass appeal. However, what makes the Hitman series good is its appeal to core gamers, and many fans felt the lack of focus in that regard, which ended up making it struggle in sales.

"So, as for the AAA titles we're currently developing for series, we basically want to go back to their roots and focus on the core audience, while working hard on content that can have fans say things like 'this is the Hitman we know'. I believe that is the best way for our development studios to display their strengths."

Matsuda's comments echo those IO issued when it revealed it was working on the next Hitman game for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One back in January.

Then, in an open letter to Hitman fans, the studio said we'd see Agent 47 "stalking his prey across the world" with the support of his long-term handler Diana Burnwood and the whole of the ICA. The game revolves around the "core Hitman fantasy", the studio said, and is built on the Glacier 2 game engine, using "the best parts and what we have learnt through Hitman: Absolution and drawing inspiration from past titles like Contracts and Blood Money".

Square Enix has undergone a reboot of sorts following its last financial year, which saw a catastrophic loss of 13.7bn yen (around £83m). At the end of the current financial year ending March 2014, it expects to see a profit of up to 6bn yen (around £36m), in part fuelled by money made from subscriptions to MMO Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn.

"For example, in the past, when we developed console games with a worldwide premise, we lost our focus, and not only did they end up being games that weren't for the Japanese, but they ended up being incomplete titles that weren't even fit for a global audience," Matsuda admitted.

"On the other hand, there are games like the JRPG we made for the Japanese audience with the proper elements, Bravely Default, which ended up selling well all around the world."

Square Enix has new games in the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and Hitman series in development, as well as Final Fantasy 15 and ongoing work on Final Fantasy 14.

Too bad Thief already came out.

Durwyn

Prophet
Bunch of talentless monkeys will not make a masterpiece, no matter how hard they try. Marketing approach will change to underline "hardcore" features, actual product wont. This will probably end in grotesque parody, like VATS was supposed to imitate turn-based.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Probably just PR bullshit speak or an April fools joke (Eurogamer basically running a P4R article) , besides when you've been made to turn out trash for so long you tend to lose the ability to turn out anything good even if given the opportunity. I'll believe it when I see it.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
A breakout of sanity at Square Enix? Can't be.

hiver

April fools. What they actually will say is that their teams for mass marketization failed, so they will all be fired (while execs will show that as profit projected earnings) - and that new sequels will be rebooted to be even more global and mass marketed - only more epic, visceral and awesome.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They could increase sales by discounting their games 80% on release.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Stop making shitty Hitman Splinter Cell clones. Gimme Kane and Lynch 3 goddamnit! I liked the second K&L.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess the glory days depend on if you are looking at square or enix.

Square-enix itself made a couple of good games, but it's game list is full of shitty games. I'm not really sure Square-Enix ever had glory days.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I am not sure but that could be just April Fools joke.

I've never delved into how these jokes work, but it has sprung up it multiple articles.

Eh, it's possible that Dark Souls has convinced Square Enix that developing for core audiences might be a good idea. But they wouldn't mention that because it was made by a rival (Japanese) company and Bravely Default was made by them.

Get it? They've reached the conclusion due to their own efforts, not because of Bandai.

I'm not sure its an April Fool's joke. By this point its pretty transparently obvious that Square is screwed and needs to change direction, but being a business/Japanese they have to acknowledge it in the way that preserves their reputation/honor.

But I guess it could be a well disguised, cunningly written joke.

Last edited:

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
They released a very similar press release about the next hitman a couple months ago, so they are definitely being serious. Whether they actually follow through remains to be seen.

At the very least it is refreshing to see a major developer/publisher acknowledge that it's not good to try and go for mass appeal at all costs.

Cadmus

Arcane
This can't be true and if it is, they won't manage to actually do it. The Hitman was a great example of how to completely ruin a franchise and I can't for a second believe they could even begin to understand how to make such a game properly.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's with the negativity, Codex? If Ubisoft can produce a blobber, then Square Enix (who are already wannabe-Ubisoft in the West anyway) can do some good too.

Now, in before Chrono Trigger 2? :desu:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Sqeenix should kick IO's ass and make it fix the first Kane & Lynch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom