Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Square Enix sells off IO-Interactive - now an independent studio

Paul_cz

Arcane
I think I read on twitter that proceeds from the sale of Hitman go to IOI now, so hopefully sales are gonna help.

I am glad IOI is still alive, hopefully it can keep itself that way. I am for sure buying any future Hitman games as long as quality is kept. Although Jesper Kyd would be welcome addition.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You know a dev is falling in hard times when they give their newest game out for free

If by free you mean they now offer a substantial demo, like we used to get back in the Old Good Days™ to properly find out what the possible purchace can include, well you'd still be wrong because to me that sounds like sound business-plan and consumer friendly decision.

TC Jr

Scholar
What happens with Kane & Lynch? Who owns it and should I care or the IP is as good as dead?
Yes, it's shit, but I loved the first game.
Great game, loved the characters, sort of shit the bed with dog days imo. Also the soundtrack was brilliant.

Dexter

Arcane
Is there any particular reason why Square Enix would just give up the Hitman IP and/or any proceeds from past products like this? This doesn't sound like a particularly clever business-move for me, especially since this ain't some unknown IP from 20 years ago or so, but a rather famous one that has even been turned into movies.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interview with President and CEO of Square Enix Yosuke Matsuda about this strangely generous looking deal, "Why Square Enix set the franchise free": http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...out-io-why-square-enix-set-the-franchise-free

- They realized Absolution's approach was a mistake, and decided to take Hitman back to the sandbox style with the 2016 one.

- Why they dropped IO and Hitman in first place? Despite Hitman 2016 was very well received, they couldn't afford the investment required to do the second and third seasons, considering conflicts of resources with other Square Enix titles (presumably Marvel games).

- Why they gave IP to IO?: "It's because I believe it wouldn't be Hitman unless it was Hitman made by IO. I love the game, and I believe the fans of Hitman think it's only Hitman if it's made by IO. So I thought that was the best way for the game to continue, and that's why we were supportive of the MBO and of course didn't mind if they continued to use the IP."

Archibald

Arcane
Probably someone from Square Enix fucked something in the office and someone from IO recorded it. Makes more sense, I think.

Archibald

Arcane
463.jpg

Paul_cz

Arcane
Well, whatever fucking or nonfucking was it about, I am glad IOI are independent. I just hope they can actually survive in this shit-infested hellhole that's the gaming industry.

Santander02

Arcane
- Why they gave IP to IO?: "It's because I believe it wouldn't be Hitman unless it was Hitman made by IO. I love the game, and I believe the fans of Hitman think it's only Hitman if it's made by IO. So I thought that was the best way for the game to continue, and that's why we were supportive of the MBO and of course didn't mind if they continued to use the IP."

Dafuq, a publisher CEO with some actual humanity??? After, ehm, recent developments in the industry I find this so hard to comprehend, surely it must be some sort of reptilian plot to make me give up my shekels in the upcoming holiday season sales...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It will be fun when the second season go to shit. Doubt that many people will buy it,having in mind the climate we are in.

Sentinel

Arcane
Takes up 70GB (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) of HDD space. Download is probably around the ~30~40GB. That's still fucking unacceptable. Disk space is completely ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom