Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Square Enix wants to crowdfund its Eidos IPs on Indiegogo, including Anachronox

TheGreatOne

Arcane
They are now accepting pitches from devs for these IPs: Anachronox, Gex and Fear Effect.

http://www.incgamers.com/2015/02/square-enix-collective-wants-pitches-for-anachronox-gex-fear-effect

Looks like we're already getting gex and fear effect sequels. Now we might get to see a real Thief 4 if they decide to give that IP up for grabs. There's going to be public voting so I have far more confidence in a fan made Thief project than I do in a corporate one (Thi4f4444).

Modron

Arcane
Yeah we don't need another "faithful" revival like the newest King's Quest.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Is Tom Hall busy on anything these days ?

Yeah, he's busy on Diner Dash for mobile.

And:

Andrew Kane said:

Tom Hall said:
@codemastermm Yah, it's been available... maybe someday when I'm not busy at a job! Heh.

Andrew Kane said:
@ThatTomHall very true :D maybe one day! Love seeing & miss your stories & humor.

Tom Hall said:
@codemastermm And not sure the crowdsourcing would get to the million or two needed to do it right....

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And apparently there's a deadline for submissions:

Square Enix properties currently available for submissions:

Gex (deadline May 31,2015)

Fear Effect (deadline May 31, 2015)

Anachronox (deadline May 31, 2015)

Telengard

Arcane
Let the franchise-raping commence!

Anachronox the side-scrolling scifi beat-em-up with wacky one-liners.
Fear Effect the static endless bullet hell version, with zombies.
Gex the 2d puzzle platformer where you can walk on walls and the ceiling of your cutaway view.

(It is only 250k sent to indies, after all, so ya know what they're going to do. And if you had any doubts... “It *doesn’t* mean that we’re looking for straight-up sequels – we’d love to see different takes on those universes. What would Gex look like in a side-scrolling adventure, or a turn-based strategy?”)

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Have some little faith. Square Enix has done a decent Deus Ex game. Probably some indie dev under their wing can pull off an okayish Anachronox 2. Only trouble is how to remind everyone about the story (it's not like you recommend people to get an old game on GoG, you know they just won't). Also, they probably won't use the Q2 engine anymore, so they either have to overhaul the graphic style in a stupid 2D indie style, or get a relatively high budget.

Yeah, I don't see this game being done at all , in fact.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Konami went full mobileretard but Square Enix want to do good.
First, lowering the sales expectations*. Now - this.
slide11_b.jpg

There are three key IP policies.
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/docs/150512/page05.html
First is to strengthen and reboot our existing IPs. We would like to focus on how to utilize the numerous assets of content that we have nurtured so far, and apply them to the latest trend. As for the platform, we would like to use consoles and smart devices in parallel. Just focusing on one platform is not enough. We believe it is significant to serve both platforms, if we are to offer game content and services that appeal to the new generation.

The second policy is to create new IPs. I cannot disclose much at this moment, but we are working on various initiatives, including some experimental projects.
So far, we have created IPs for a wide range of platforms, including consoles, smart devices, PCs and publication. Based on this strength, we will actively work on creating new IPs in FY2016/3.

The third IP policy is to collaborate with partner companies. With so much changes going on in the market, we will suffer a big opportunity loss if we try to do everything all by ourselves. Through collaboration, we will utilize the strengths of other companies which we ourselves lack, and grow the size of the business. A good example is “DRAGON QUEST HEROES,” So far, we had not worked on a full-scale action RPG. However, we were able to create a new style for “DRAGON QUEST” through collaboration with Koei Tecmo Games. Based on this success, we want to collaborate more with partner companies, both in and out of Japan.

Anachronox plz

* http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/docs/150512/page06.html
First, HD games in the Digital Entertainment segment. Launches in FY2016/3 will mainly be titles for the Western market. We are planning several releases of major titles in the second half. We expect the competitive environment to be tough, with our competitors announcing big titles in the E3 in June. We believe our titles can fully compete with these big titles, however, as I will explain later, we have been conservative in our forecast for FY2016/3. We are confident about the quality of each title, and will aim at a level far beyond our current forecast.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Or you know, FUND THE GAMES YOURSELF, S-E.
Why even buy rights to franchises you don't even plan to use until the slowly dying fanbase of such games have to give you 2 mirrion dorra for you to do something with it? It's like they are taking the Sony approach of making up for their lack of new IPs, by buying others out.
You didn't need to crowdfund Drakengard 3, and that game has probably a smaller fanbase than the smallest fanbase of the Eidos IPs.
Why not put up some crowdfunding for your own franchises you never use? Before the merger, Squaresoft wanted to expand their game repertoire beyond just Final Fantasy, but I can see that is not the case anymore. Who wouldn't want to see another sequel for Einhänder, Live-A-Live, Chrono, FF Tactics, or Vagrant Story? It's all Final Fantasy. Even Kingdom Hearts 3 is taking a long-ass time to show itself.
Heck, at this point it's better to let it all die rather than our beloved franchises be raped and casualized for an audience that's never heard of the franchises before it was rebooted.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And even Thief, via ResetEra:

We've got lots of IP, lots of franchises that we don't do anything with any more. Can we open that up, and actually have developers use that as a stepping stone, and could it be a little easier for them to try to build a name for themselves around that? As opposed to something of their own creation, which is super hard. [...]

Speaking on a personal basis, cause I don't even know if all these IPs are available, I've got a real soft spot for Thief. I'd love to see what an indie team could do with that franchise.

But when I look back through the back catalogue, I think there are lots of things which could be cool, like Anachronox*, or Mini Ninjas, even.

People often ask about Legacy of Kain. We don't have any specific plans there, but if a team came along, they had plans for funding and they had a really cool idea, yeah.

I think the key thing is that we really see the creativity and the passion that comes from the indie layer of this business, and it's incredibly important that that continues to thrive. As I say, we're open-minded, and I think exciting things could potentially come with that.

Well which independent studio could make a worthy Thief game, I wonder. Otherside? Jordan Thomas and Randy Smith?

ciox

Liturgist
Wish I had a studio, IPs like Thief and Anachronox being up in the air is scary.

What would a new Anachronox look like under the "SJW tide"?

Probably almost identical to Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Legacy of Kain and Front Mission, but who would develop them is the question I ask myself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom