Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Square Enix wants to crowdfund its Eidos IPs on Indiegogo, including Anachronox

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Squeenix wants to jump on the crowdfunding bandwagon and has teamed up with... Indiegogo to... make others come up with good ideas related to... the Eidos IPs SE owns. Yeah. Pretty sure they're going to keep all profits and copyrights and shit to themselves too, so what exactly is the point?

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/201892/Square_Enix_adopts_crowdfunding_model_for_new_program.php

Square Enix today unveiled plans for a curated publishing platform, through which it hopes to bring together creators and players to make more game concepts become reality.

Game designers will be able to post ideas for games to the Square Enix Collective platform, which can then be judged by the Collective community, made up of players signed up to the platform.

If the community collectively decides that an idea is great, Square Enix will then utilize a new partnership with crowdfunding website Indiegogo to help get the game idea funded and development underway, and provide distribution services once the game is ready to ship.

Any project pitches can be submitted to the platform for free, whether it simply be to receive feedback from players, or to shoot for the Indiegogo funding plan. Square Enix says that the idea is that studios can receive real feedback from real players, and build momentum behind the idea.

[...] Notably, Square Enix is also offering some of its own IP to the program. If the company decides that an idea could work well with some of its older Eidos IP, it may choose to allow a studio to build a new game using one of these IPs. The specific IPs up for grabs will be announced at the GDC Next conference next month in Los Angeles.​

Too bad they wouldn't let anyone do anything with their Jap IPs -- now that would be the perfect chance for MCA to do a new Chrono Trigger RPG!

Also my favorite comment so far:

Finally I can get that Daikatana dating sim that I've always been waiting for: My Superfly Cannot Possibly Be This Cute!

This sure isn't bound to fail and/or end in disappointment.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Shameless. You know Square is going bankrupt when they pull stunts like this.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I can't stop laughing. Next stop: Square Humble Bundle, End of line: THQ Square.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Square shoult kickstart the shit out of FF7. Glorious :troll:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Square had a good run but I'm afraid they are probably going to die about in a couple of years.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Square Enix isn't even the most evil publisher but it is in serious competition to first place with EA to the title of the most retarded: "Hey, let's add a ton of expensive and useless cinematics in our games to just tell a banal, shit, boring story. It is gonna sell like Call of Duty.What? They didn't sold 20 million copies, it must be the recession, the wheater, bad feng shui, it costs so much to make a game that is filled with useless cutscenes. We are going to concentrate on the F2P and mobile markets, producing even more shovelware in those markets is really going to solve our problems."

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You know things are bad when the company apparently has no idea what players want and has to not only ask them directly through third-party services, but has to offload the cost of doing so to them as well.

Hellraiser

Arcane
So they have thief, daikatana (r00fles!), tomb raider, anachronox, legacy of kain and deus ex to crowdfund. Did I miss any good/decent eidos IP?

Either way they are already fucked, corporate blobbing and managers that lost touch with market reality got to them.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
While this does reek of Square's typical stupidity, there's really not much else they could have done with those titles. Notice how both Tomb Raider and Deus Ex have been made into cover-based shooters, and Square said they still failed to meet sales expectations. The new Thief also looks to be heading in a similar direction.

By the way, some guys from Square are responding in the comments of the Gamasutra article, saying that devs will get most of the revenue...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
While this does reek of Square's typical stupidity, there's really not much else they could have done with those titles. Notice how both Tomb Raider and Deus Ex have been made into cover-based shooters, and Square said they still failed to meet sales expectations. The new Thief also looks to be heading in a similar direction.

By the way, some guys from Square are responding in the comments of the Gamasutra article, saying that devs will get most of the revenue...
I believe deus ex was very successful for square.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I believe deus ex was very successful for square.

Yeah, I'm actually not so certain how DX:HR really performed sales-wise. Everybody acted like it was a success, but if you look at the sales numbers, it was really the same kind of thing as Tomb Raider, etc. And it went cheap on Steam pretty fast. So I don't know. Maybe as Eidos Montreal's first title, Square had low expectations for it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, I'm actually not so certain how DX:HR really performed sales-wise. Everybody acted like it was a success, but if you look at the sales numbers, it was really the same kind of thing as Tomb Raider, etc. And it went cheap on Steam pretty fast. So I don't know. Maybe as Eidos Montreal's first title, Square had low expectations for it.
It might have been a lot cheaper to make than Tomb Raider. The graphics were a noticeably worse than it's peers, and I don't mean the piss filter.

Wikipedia says 2 million sales across all platforms, but that probably doesn't include digital sales.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom