Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Null Null

Arbiter
Yeah, it wasn't my favorite. They send you off to Taladas (probably to promote the supplement Time of the Dragon which was on sale then) which removes any of the history built up in the prior games (compare with, say, Secret, where you run into the clerk and Priam again, or Treasures, where you get to finish the job on Geildarr)...and it's kind of a railroad. I prefer to bring guys in from DKK (and unlike the earlier games, they don't wind up FKK, as the Germans say).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I must be one of the few wko liked The Lighthouse...

On my first playthrough i didn't like the undersea level and Hawkbluff (the latter because I missed the fact that you were supposed to bluff your way in), but second time a few years ago they were among my favourite levels, expecially Hawkbluff.
Story wise Dark Queen is probably the weakest of all the Gold Box games, but it has some of the best designed dungeons, and has overall the best encounter design IMO.

araan

Literate
Lvl caps are independent of multi/single and it seems that they were not changed at all in the 6 FG games.

But lvl 8 is only the start of SotSB, so the character will be too low for that game. I used a half-elf f/m/c in "Treasures and he maxed out at 5/8/8, whereas I did not even get close to max lvl of that game with e.g. my paladin, see above. It was discussed earlier in the tread.

Among other things, one reason seems to be that pen&paper D&D usually did not go up to lvls beyond 10 or so. If you look at the "titles"
given to the lvls in some older rulebooks a lvlv 8 fighter is called "Superhero" and a lvl 9 "Lord". (So a multiclass half-elf can reach "superhero lvl" as fighter and the lvl 20+ characters of Pools etc. are simply way beyond the map.) And probably also to offset the advantages multiclass characters have before their caps. With characters up to lvl 15 as in Secrets or beyond 20 like in DQoK and PoD they become too weak in comparison.

Having just now finished the game, just wanted to report back and say that my half-elf fighter/ranger was in fact NOT too low level for the entirety of Secret of the Silver Blades. It actually ended up that she delivered the final blow that won the game after my Paladin and dwarf fighter/thief died in a hard fought, drawn out battle which made for a thrilling conclusion. I didn't read the rest of this message until now since I was a bit frustrated it included such a blanket statement that might have spoiled the game for less determined folk, but once again RP wins the day over character min/maxing!

Anyway, really enjoyed Secret of the Silver Blades, looking forward to the fourth installment. Wish they still made them like they used to.
:australia::hahyou::russia::terrorist::kwafuckyeah:

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Bought the FR Collection volume 2 from GOG and I'm already regretting this. Playing on Linux, Gateway to the Savage Frontier. Created a party (took 20 minutes at least). Saved the game. Exited the game. Fired the game again. 'Load game'. The game says "Insert disk 3" and I cannot proceed. Any tips on what I should do?

Ladonna

Arcane
Perhaps you should contact GoG? You paid money for it after all.

Or you can be oldskool and buy a used copy of the game, and then...insert disk 3.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Bought the FR Collection volume 2 from GOG and I'm already regretting this. Playing on Linux, Gateway to the Savage Frontier. Created a party (took 20 minutes at least). Saved the game. Exited the game. Fired the game again. 'Load game'. The game says "Insert disk 3" and I cannot proceed. Any tips on what I should do?

You have not instealled it correctly. The error message means the program is looking for files in the wrong directory.

Elwro

Arcane
Goddamnit. I have installed it using the GOG scripts, without changing anything.

One weird thing is that if I quickly create a char, jump into the game, walk a few tiles, and save -- then the game is able to load the savegame perfectly. Maybe the issue is tied only to savegames created right after party creation.

I'll have to meticulously craft my party again, including the icons. :rage:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Goddamnit. I have installed it using the GOG scripts, without changing anything.

One weird thing is that if I quickly create a char, jump into the game, walk a few tiles, and save -- then the game is able to load the savegame perfectly. Maybe the issue is tied only to savegames created right after party creation.

I'll have to meticulously craft my party again, including the icons. :rage:

Don't do that. Instead do some research on the file structure and see if you can manually create new folders and move the files to where the program is looking. It might take you some time to figure it out, but it would keep you from playing from scratch.

Elwro

Arcane
The problem is I know exactly where the program is looking. There are 3 save files there: savgama.dat, savgamb.dat and savgamc.dat. The 'a' one is the one made after char creation. The 'b' and 'c' are my test saves using shitty random chars I made to check; I started playing using them, moved a few tiles, saved, and that's it. The 'b' and 'c' files load perfectly. The 'a' one does not.

A different issue: there are various 'chrdata' files in that folder. First 6 correspond to my carefully crafted characters. But I'm not able to access them from the main menu via 'add char to party'. Is that's how it's supposed to be?

Elwro

Arcane
Haven't played these games for years.

Now the first thing I did was put both of my clerics to sleep. :D

Does the spell ever wear off? The manual is silent about that.

edit: they're not really asleep now. But I don't understand one thing. Their names are purple on the character list. But the status says 'OK'. What's going on?

edit: I can't believe how good this game plays now. It has aged a little, but just a little...

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
So guys, I got a quest from some 'Captain' to find a Bane priest in Nesme. When I was shown his portrait I was sure at a certain point I'd have to choose the villain from a set of suspects. But it didn't happen. I found him and killed him.

Now, I'm short on cash and 5 of my guys need leveling up. Went to the trolls and maybe I'll return for more. But: I returned to Yartar to go to the Captain in the hope of receiving some cash for my troubles. I can't go into the room he was in. Is that how it's supposed to be?

janior

Arcane
Patron
Guys why did i get literally THOUSANDS of jewellery and gems in PoR :retarded:. I know that in-game economy is broken but this bothers me anyway.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
'cause that's how you get XP. Killing the monsters gets you next to nothing, looting them does. Old AD&D rules.

Kirben

Novice
Now, I'm short on cash and 5 of my guys need leveling up. Went to the trolls and maybe I'll return for more. But: I returned to Yartar to go to the Captain in the hope of receiving some cash for my troubles. I can't go into the room he was in. Is that how it's supposed to be?
The trolls in Nesme are the best source of easy experience and gold at the start, although you will need to encamp to trigger the battles after awhile.

There is no way to return to the captain in Yartar for a reward.

Elwro

Arcane
In the meantime I decided for the hill giants to the NW of Yartar to be my primary source of income. Thanks for the info regarding the captain!

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
'cause that's how you get XP. Killing the monsters gets you next to nothing, looting them does. Old AD&D rules.

I always preferred those rules, too. The goal should be getting loot to spend on wine, woman and song, and not killing for the sake of killing. Though I admit then it comes to question how you were able to increase combat proficiency from what is really tomb raiding.

janior

Arcane
Patron
I fucking hate those stupid boring fights against kobolds, especially when you have to fight like 50 of them. It's such a waste of time(even with quick combat).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I fucking hate those stupid boring fights against kobolds, especially when you have to fight like 50 of them. It's such a waste of time(even with quick combat).

It's fun whem your fighter types have some levels and can Sweep them.
Also, with maxed out stats the random encounters will be larger.

Null Null

Arbiter

Depending on how much manipulation of the game you are willing to perform (some prefer to wander and explore, or find this sort of thing de-immersive), I recommend the following strategy:

Since encounters in the Slums, Kuto's Well, and Podol Plaza areas scale with levels, camp at the entrance to the Slums and rest until you have had 15 encounters. Then explore at your leisure. Repeat with Kuto's Well. Don't do this with Podol Plaza--wait until after you've had the mission to visit the auction. If you clear the plaza before the auction, it will repopulate for the auction and you will not be able to clear it (this is a major nuisance as you have to pass through Podol Plaza to get to the castle).

janior

Arcane
Patron
If i didn't complete that quest with bottle for silver dragon will i miss something important cause i killed that djin thing in kobold caves(i assume that was the quest item bottle)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom