Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
How did you even reach the library at level 1? :o You're fucked, reload an earlier save.

Goblino

Savant
Bashed it really hard. I guess I have to start all over again. This time I'll keep alternate saves. On the upside, I'm finally getting used to navigating a gold box game.

Goblino

Savant
Thanks, I'm starting to really get into this game. It wasn't until I printed the journal and made a code wheel that I started to really enjoy it.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Sure. But e.g. in Kalistes Land one does not find enough shields and only in the last dungeon a good mace, flail, quarter staff. I guess we had it before further up in the thread: In the computer games there is a strange discrepancy between the number of weapons that are available and the ones that are any good. And for whatever reason they put so much useless stuff there that I keep thinking I must be missing some point. E.g. ring mail, scale mail, battle axe (two handed but basically like a long sword), trident (dito), crossbow (shoots only one bolt whereas one can shoot 2 arrows).
It would be easier to give us just gems or maybe wands once in a while...
Or they should have put in some restrictions like that dwarves can only use xbows ore whatever.

What they should have done is implement the weapon type vs armor class rules from 1st edition AD&D. That gives you a lot more reason to use different types of weapons.

speed+factor.png

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Just started playing PoR for real. Going 100% legit. No walkthroughs or anything. Using rolled stats and non of that cheating shit you fags do. Got a fancy spiral notepad of graph paper for mapping. Might post a pic of maps later when I make more progress.

So far I've been going back and forth between mapping the main town and the slums. I'm broke as shit because after I bought starting gear, I gambled all my remaining money at a tavern. The game host is a cheating nigger.

I got about 50% of the town mapped, with 25% of the slums explored. Got ambushed by orcs and almost died. Found a Leather+1. Might sell it for more gambling funds.

Is there any penalties for a fighter/thief to wear heavy armor? Can I still back stab?

Goblino

Savant
I could be wrong. But I think you can get away with whatever they let your class equip. All my multis be decked in plate, yo. Also clerics with bows

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The rules change in subtle ways for each GB game. I think PoR is the only GB game that implements the Studded Leather restriction for backstabbing (there's definitely no restirction in FRUA).
Also, in PoR an Elf Fighter/Mage can cast spells while wearing heavy armour for some reason.

Goblino

Savant
So a thief/fighter needs to be in studded at best to get backstabbing? Is it worthwhile to wear heavy until I get a little tougher and find studded plus?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
In general backtsabbing is not worth the trouble in PoR for two reasons:

1. You need two other characters to set up the backstab. Only one is needed in later games. OTOH you can backstab any enemy, no just human sized ones.
2. At low levels the low backstab modifier means you don't deal that much more damage.

Goblino

Savant
So is a straight halfling thief a waste as opposed to a human or race fig/thief hybrid?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So is a straight halfling thief a waste as opposed to a human or race fig/thief hybrid?

A Halfling Thief is fine if you don't intend to transfer him to CoA, although due to XP caps he'll soon be maxed out, so you would probably be better off with a Figher/Thief anyway, for the better THAC0 and more HP.

But in the long run a Dwarf or Half-Elf Fighter/Thief is the best choice IMO.

Last edited:

Goblino

Savant
So is a plus 2 spear equivalent to or better than a longsword? Ohlo gave me one

Goblino

Savant
Sweet, so my lvl 2 fighter is about to strike and sweep like Wotan on a crack binge.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
So is a plus 2 spear equivalent to or better than a longsword? Ohlo gave me one

I just met this idiot. He sent me on a suicide quest into a soap-on-the-rope clubhouse where I cant use the area map. As soon as I step in MY GUYS GOT RAPED BY A WAVE OF KOLBOLDS. Everyone got KOs except my 2-handed fighter and my mage of all people. I managed to make it back to town without any encounters but then I discovered there is no natural healing. I have a pure cleric and a mage/cleric but they where both down. Visiting one of the temples is the only option unless I want to be a bitch a reload. Get this, though- its costs 100gp for a cure light wounds service- Thats like 20 pps which I didnt have because that cross-eyed butt faggot at the tavern stole it with his shitty rigged games.

I ended up selling some cleric scrolls to play for temple and inn services. I hope I dont need them for anything- If they could be used I couldnt figure it out.

Goblino

Savant
Just finished up the slums. Save the encounter with the big monsters in the "soap on a rope club" for last. It is the rapey-est. It really picked up for me as soon as I got a few level ups and some useful loot. Now I'm at the keep and I've run into a giant army of orcs and hobgoblins. Was stinking cloud a good choice for my first lvl 2 spell?

Goblino

Savant
Keep is super annoying due to trash mobs, but I got the army killed, and then I found their would-be comrades under a well and introduced them to genocide.. sounds like there's another squad left out there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom