Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Darts for magic users are great for the coup de grace on disabled foes. Other than that, I would have the mage make lame attempts to disrupt enemy casters or take out that '1hp left' guy.

If none of the situations above where present, I just say fuck it and put him in guard mode.

rezaf

Cipher
If none of the situations above where present, I just say fuck it and put him in guard mode.

Seconded. I tend to accept those low-level mages are kinda useless baggage in battles where it's overkill to cast a sleep spell or something. They do prove their worth when such situations arise, though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Seconded. I tend to accept those low-level mages are kinda useless baggage in battles where it's overkill to cast a sleep spell or something. They do prove their worth when such situations arise, though.

They can very useful for setting up backstabs for the (Fighter/)Thief, though.

Finn Willoughby

Literate
I just recently played through the Dragonlance series again....I gotta go through the others now. Man, how I have missed these games!

Difficulty level. What does it do? Can't find from the manual any mention of it.

Also in general, but in specific I'm interested in Dark Queen of Krynn. Starting a game with fresh characters. Am I gonna have a good time with the middle difficulty (veteran)?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The games are fine in default difficulty with a normal party. No reason to play them differently in my opinion.

The games are fine in default difficulty with a normal party. No reason to play them differently in my opinion.
That's what I ended up doing. (for now)

Tactics for the first fight: reload until blue dragons get bad enough initiative rolls that I can drop them before they get to act (and murder half my team). Promising start!
:negative:

Now clearing draconian caves with Sheriff Daenor.
:positive:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Using an imported party with one or two Dragonlances would have made the fight easier.
Also, spells like Hold Monsters is very effective against Dragons who despite their high levels have relatively poor Saving Throws.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Guyz, plz halp.

When I played the GOG version of GtSF, I edited dosbox_gateway.conf with 'windowresolution=1024x768' to get the 4:3 windowed goodness of proper size.

I now want to start Champions of Krynn. I did the same: edited the dosboxChampionsofKrynn.conf with exactly the same line. But the GOG Dosbox doesn't see that and I'm still playing in what seems to be 320x240 or something like that.

The game does read the file, because it reacts properly to 'fullscreen=false'.

What should I do? I had a problem like that a few years ago, but I've forgotten completely how I dealt with it.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Guyz, plz halp.

When I played the GOG version of GtSF, I edited dosbox_gateway.conf with 'windowresolution=1024x768' to get the 4:3 windowed goodness of proper size.

I now want to start Champions of Krynn. I did the same: edited the dosboxChampionsofKrynn.conf with exactly the same line. But the GOG Dosbox doesn't see that and I'm still playing in what seems to be 320x240 or something like that.

The game does read the file, because it reacts properly to 'fullscreen=false'.

What should I do? I had a problem like that a few years ago, but I've forgotten completely how I dealt with it.

An easy way is just copying the entire contents of the savage frontier config, then paste over everying in the krynn fig.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, duh. Just needed to change 'output=surface' to something else, e.g. 'output=overlay'.

The pregenerated party for CoK is quite interesting. I will read about the different mage types in the manual. Any tips for a good starting party? Are kenders a must? I remember reading about 'Tas' or whatever sth like 20+ years ago so I'd like to have one.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For me a "good party" is a diverse party to have all classes and races represented, so something like this:

Human Knight
Human White Mage
Dwarf Fighter
Kender Cleric/Thief
Silvanesti Elf Ranger/Cleric
Qualinesti Fighter/Red Mage

The Kender is good in the two first games of the trilogy, due to his Taunts and being able to backstab with a Hoopak (very useful against Skeletal Warriors who take half damage from any other backstab able weapon).

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
In addition, Hoopaks are the only weapon that can be used as both melee and ranged weapons (without tracking ammunition...yet another bonus). And, since only Kender get to use them, it's worth having one to take advantage of them, given that you might find some of magical variety.

Besides, their taunt ability is both amusing and useful. They sometimes make the enemy do stupid things to your advantage (which is the intent), like run away from you so that they can get to the Kender.

Erebus

Arcane
Also in general, but in specific I'm interested in Dark Queen of Krynn. Starting a game with fresh characters. Am I gonna have a good time with the middle difficulty (veteran)?

With new characters, I'd say that average difficulty is quite a reasonable challenge already. You don't have the cool items you can find in "Death Knight" (especially the dragonlance) and that makes a significant difference.

Though I'm not completely sure, I believe that the higher the difficulty level, the more XP you gain out of combat.

Tactics for the first fight: reload until blue dragons get bad enough initiative rolls that I can drop them before they get to act (and murder half my team).

Initiative rolls are extremely important in the game, especially because of the rule that prevents a wizard who was wounded from casting until the next round.

With new characters, I'd say that average difficulty is quite a reasonable challenge already. You don't have the cool items you can find in "Death Knight" (especially the dragonlance) and that makes a significant difference.
Yeah, it hasn't been too easy. I'm at the marble halls under the sea. Lot of reloading has taken place.

Do people ever play these games in ironman?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Do people ever play these games in ironman?

I play them Ironman Light. Reloads only if party death or if my cat walks over the keyboard during a crucial fight.
No save scumming, and Gone (dead and not revivable) means Gone. Makes it extra important to protect the Elf characters in the Krynn games, since you can't resurrect them.

eXalted

Arcane
Prepare for my question!

How do I use Detect Magic to identify which item is enchanted when looting?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I think it's in the looting options (maybe you need to select a character who has Detect Magic memorized).

Then after your spell is cast magic items are marked with a *.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I think it's in the looting options (maybe you need to select a character who has Detect Magic memorized).

Then after your spell is cast magic items are marked with a *.

CryptRat is right. Select a character who has Detect Magic memorized and an additional button will appear at the bottom that says "Detect." While it is in effect, an asterisk will appear next to an item that is magical. If you check a character's inventory, all magical items in there will be highlighted as well, giving you a chance to identify magical items that you may have picked up previously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom