Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Dead Air is in TOP5 on Moddb, so it must be translated.
And it is.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Translated? Good! Also, it's a bit unbalanced, or how to say? Buggy? Heard that at some locations mutants spawns after some point so you can't really be there.

mwnn85

Savant
Hoping that OpenXray makes big progress - particularly for Linux.
It sounds like the xray engine was a bit of technical mess reading the commits/comments on GitHub.

Getting it up and running across multiple platforms, fixing any quirks and adding 64 bit support is the best way to ensure STALKER remains playable in the future.
They're aiming to get all three games playable under a unified engine; be great if that happens.
Tons of improvements that could be added - Vulkan support, faster loading times, more stable modding, etc.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Hoping that OpenXray makes big progress - particularly for Linux.
It sounds like the xray engine was a bit of technical mess reading the commits/comments on GitHub.

Getting it up and running across multiple platforms, fixing any quirks and adding 64 bit support is the best way to ensure STALKER remains playable in the future.
They're aiming to get all three games playable under a unified engine; be great if that happens.
Tons of improvements that could be added - Vulkan support, faster loading times, more stable modding, etc.
I saw Shadow of Chernobyl in the news with "Steam on Linux" so there is hope...

mwnn85

Savant
Yes, Valve have added a customized version of Wine (Proton) to the Steam client on Linux.
Wine is a bit wonky though.
Still it's surprising to see how many new games play well with Wine & DXVK.

I did try several games I own on Steam - Battle Brothers, Mordheim, Underrail, etc
Didn't have any joy with those titles yet... (Mordheim got to the main menu)

I didn't bother trying Dark Crusade as they claim it works.
People are submitting whitelist requests here
I've gotten Dark Souls (1+2+3) and AoW (1+3) working.

I'll have to try Call of Pripyat with the latest Wine + DXVK.
I'd much rather run native programs when given the choice i.e. rbdoom3/dhewm3, gzdoom, shocolate, openxcom, etc.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
X-Ray was a technical mess because the primary engine developers quit the studio mid SoC development, which meant that people unfamiliar with how it worked had to take over duties keeping it. They got it in a pretty proper state by Call of Pripyat though. CoP was essentially pristine.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I urge everybody to try out Anomaly 1.4.0., its still a preview version but hot damn, that is some next level shit. Just check out the changes. Especially the Character creation (and you can rightly call it that now) is really deep with several tweaks to the economy and difficulty. A lot of hardcore options like stating how many lives you get at the start (kinda necessary since dying to random anomalies in ironman is very frustrating), how and when you can save...

LWsRSha.jpg

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That is my favorite of the Call of Chernobyl offshoots; the modified 64 engine is great and overall it looks and plays fantastic

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I see the power of ripping-off borrowing inspiration is stronk among fellow stalkers and modders.
That loadout is similar to Dead Air but you don't get perks.

Why nobody borrow something from Legend Return? You gain XPs here, improve your characters (better meds, marauding, repairs etc.).
Everyone call STALKERs "RPG" but beside LR there is no other project deserving that label.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Anomaly is getting a big 1.5.0 update, certainly making it the best Stalker mod in my book. There is no comprehensive list of changes, since the dev is posting updates in the discord, but I made this pastebin of the current updates to give you guys an idea about the scope of the upcoming update.

https://pastebin.com/CDHPtjcx

ciox

Liturgist
I'll look into this mod at some point, the character creation looks great, I'm definitely into that DeploymentFeel of creating a loadout before you go in.

Plisken

Learned
I see the power of ripping-off borrowing inspiration is stronk among fellow stalkers and modders.
That loadout is similar to Dead Air but you don't get perks.

Why nobody borrow something from Legend Return? You gain XPs here, improve your characters (better meds, marauding, repairs etc.).
Everyone call STALKERs "RPG" but beside LR there is no other project deserving that label.

uh you're the only person ive ever seen call stalker an rpg and ive been playing and in the various communities since it first came out

what is frequently said is that vanilla stalker has rpg-lite or like progression systems for gear and artifacts, which it does, and which mods completely obliterate in the name of realism.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
uh you're the only person ive ever seen call stalker an rpg and ive been playing and in the various communities since it first came out
what is frequently said is that vanilla stalker has rpg-lite or like progression systems for gear and artifacts, which it does, and which mods completely obliterate in the name of realism.

Really? I swear that they call Stalker as RPG everywhere else. Like gaming journos, some forums and communities and else. Guess it's Potato thing then...
I don't call it RPG tho, no stats or XP gathering that make your adventure better.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Anomaly is getting a big 1.5.0 update, certainly making it the best Stalker mod in my book. There is no comprehensive list of changes, since the dev is posting updates in the discord, but I made this pastebin of the current updates to give you guys an idea about the scope of the upcoming update.

https://pastebin.com/CDHPtjcx
sweet, do you know when it's gonna be released? Need something before Legend Return 1.0 get released.

stats = guns
xp = artifacts

FACTS

gun progress exist in most action games - first/third person shooters for example.
arifacts - powerups but less powerful with no timers

and yeah I know u trollin' but still gonna post to clarify stuff or people start calling STALKER an RPG

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wouldn’t consider it an RPG... but it is a much better Open World Game than both Fallout 3 & 4 so maybe it is
At least it is the only FPS I do play as an RPG, meaning I try to do side quests, scout for artifacts and better gear, and retrace my progress to older maps to uncover catches to upgrade my gear rather than go from point A to B in a map
Besides Dark Souls the Stalker games are by far my favorite game series since the 2000

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Found some tutorial videos for both Anomaly and Dead Air, gonna wait for Anomaly 1.5 or Dead Air 1.0...

@up
enemy guns jammin in their hands? about fkn time, it pissed me off that they had unlimited ammo and no jamming moment in original Misery.

Silva

Arcane
About Anomaly...

1) How to install it? Just get a clean install of CoP and install it over?

2) Is there some story, even if simplist?

3) How is the role-playing/world simulation here? Do factions relations change if you kill them or help them? Can you befriend the bandits in Zaton and become their leader? Are there pacific Stalkers searching for anomalies, and can you kill and rob them, etc? Thanks.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
1) Anomaly is standalone. You basically just download it and play it.

2) Very simple, same thing as in CoC. But the "Lost to the Zone" mod has been ported to Anomaly. It adds a new storyline if you're into that. But you need to add it to your game, it won't come with Anomaly.

3) Faction relations change. You can befriend factions by killing their enemies, disguising as one of them and doing tasks for them and so on. You can't become a faction leader though. Yes, you can rob Stalkers of artifacts and they do search for them.

Join the Anomaly discord, everything will be clarified there.

Plisken

Learned
I went with dead air instead of anomaly because it was a smaller download

I'm surprised; I don't hate it, despite it being MEMERY derivative stuff. The visual changes and audio are actually quite impressive, they've really managed to get extra juice out of that old 32 bit executable. It feels different enough that I'm actually enjoying the misery style elements instead of rolling my eyes at how modders manage to find various ways of raping STALKER. Of course, it still has those utterly tedious elements - animations and black screens that actually serve to do the opposite of immersing the player and become incredibly annoying by about the 10th time.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Are there pacific Stalkers searching for anomalies, and can you kill and rob them, etc? Thanks.
yes
sometimes someone send SMS message via dynamic message system network with something like "I found artifact X, now I can retire! Anyone know the price?", then you can find him somewhere in the Zone and loot this art from him, for real.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Does SGM 2.2 Lost Soul have any worthwhile addons to get? About to start a playthrough of it and I'm wondering if there's anything I need to get for it to make the experience better.

Silva

Arcane
I went with dead air instead of anomaly because it was a smaller download

I'm surprised; I don't hate it, despite it being MEMERY derivative stuff. The visual changes and audio are actually quite impressive, they've really managed to get extra juice out of that old 32 bit executable. It feels different enough that I'm actually enjoying the misery style elements instead of rolling my eyes at how modders manage to find various ways of raping STALKER. Of course, it still has those utterly tedious elements - animations and black screens that actually serve to do the opposite of immersing the player and become incredibly annoying by about the 10th time.
Do you think the mod would cater to an old Misery 1 fan (instead of the masochistic shit that was 2.0 forward) ? From what I've seen of it, looks interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom