Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
So I tried a couple of Russian mods, like Secret Trails 2 and AlternativA. As usual with russian PC game developers and modders, they were inventive, innovative, compelling, lovely to look at and utterly bugfucked. I couldn't even click on the "Do you have anything interesting to say?" dialogue option with the first NPC I encountered in ST2 without it crash crash crashing, not to mention corrupted saves with my very second save. Yet...there was something there...something good that made me wanna keep playing. I mean, how can you not love love LOVE Tom Waits playing on the radio in the hermit's hut in the first few moments of the game? I shall return.

Severian Silk

I have a AK74 with scope on it now, so I'm not dying as much any more.

But I have a few questions. Can weapons be repaired? Or are they toast once they get damaged?

Also, it has been said this game has RPG characteristics. What are they exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I have a AK74 with scope on it now, so I'm not dying much any more.

But I have a few questions. Can weapons be repaired? Or are they toast once they get damaged?

Also, it has been said this game has RPG characteristics. What are they exactly?

Inventory, Quest, Statlines (in terms of armor, artifact buffs and weapons), Multiple Endings and an Economy
In Shadow of Chernobyl base there is no way to repair weapons, though some mods give you that option.
Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat has weapon and armor repair.

Severian Silk

Thanks. My main gripe with this game is the GUI. I don't like the map controls, and some of the longer dialogues don't appear in the diary. Luckily ZRP adds a hotkey for quick saves.

Otherwise it is pretty fun.

[edit]

Is there an English subtitles mod for this game? One that works with ZRP?

Sodafish

Arcane
AA has item repair too. The lack of repair *is* one of the worst things about vanilla SOC, as it made you scared to actually use that awesome rare minty FT-200M or Strelok's Sig.

Sodafish

Arcane
Zombies are no threat whatsoever. Have you run into snorks, bloodsuckers or controllers yet?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Zombies are no threat whatsoever. Have you run into snorks, bloodsuckers or controllers yet?

In call of pripyat and SoC, no, but I found Zombies in clear sky to be stupidly tough.
Then again, there are bullet sponges everywhere in that game so go figure.

It's funny, they knew they made clear sky too hard and frustrating, so they tried dialing it down in Pripyat and ended up making it too easy and boring.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

In call of pripyat and SoC, no, but I found Zombies in clear sky to be stupidly tough.
Then again, there are bullet sponges everywhere in that game so go figure..

I haven't played CS yet, but does the Master difficulty level also allow one-hit headshot kills against the enemy AI like in SHoC & CoP? My one playthrough of SHoC back in the day was a real bitch because I had selected Medium difficulty, and unbeknownst to me at the time it's one of the difficulty settings that automatically turns everything into a bullet sponge. I remember pumping ridiculous amounts of ammo into armed zombies and thinking, "Wah! Dis game iz hard!"

Severian Silk

Just finished SoC. I would give the game a 8.9/10. More if the UI were better (e.g. 16:9 aspect ratio is not supported everywhere), and if there were subtitles for important cutscenes/dialogues (the environment around my computer is noisy).

:bro:

Which STALKER game should I play next?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I just played through SoC on Master. It was great until it became too linear for my taste. The whole race-against-time element and the ridiculous challenge of the stuff inside the NPP weren't so great.

I tried CS even though I didn't remember enjoying it much at all, but it crashed on me once when I tried to talk to an NPC, and then again when I tried to change a setting in the console, so I uninstalled and went straight into CoP.

Severian Silk

Both. The game trolled me, then I reloaded a save and proceeded onward to the true ending.

Old One

Arcane
I like CoP with the Misery mod best, however it's far from perfect. The criticisms I've read of CoP are mostly true. Vanilla is quite easy, in part because, unlike SoC, the anomalies are all grouped together in easily recognizable spots so you never have to worry about accidentally running into one while you're sprinting around.

Misery ups the difficulty in a number of ways, but unfortunately one of those ways is by, in my opinion, overpopulating the maps. It is harder, yes, but it also defies logic. There are way more bandits, and way more zombies, and way more people in general. How many zombies can you have in the Zone, considering that you can't have a zombie without having a human being first? Apparently the answer is thousands and thousands. In Misery the Zone is literally packed with life and unlife. In vanilla I would climb up on the pipeline by the stalker base in Zaton and wait, and it might take a long time before I saw anything moving that wasn't a flesh or a boar. In Misery, I would do the same thing and it wasn't uncommon to see three faction patrols at the same time.

Not that fighting isn't fun, but it doesn't improve the desolate atmosphere.

If someone took the best elements of these games and merged them into one, it could be really, really good.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Try Misery 1.2 it is exactly what you want; it takes the already stellar CoP and gives it a much grittier Misery flavor...before the moders gonna mod bullshit so there is a bit of grinding to get started but once you know a fee stashes and get familiar with the flow of the game it is superb. Just restarted a new shotgun heavy run and it is oh so good. The new Misery mods feel too grindy and frankly not very rewarding; it truly makes you feel miserable having to scavenge and starve with a rusty rifle which jams half the time. Maybe that is the true role of a publisher is having someone who might say "leave the best stuff in and whatever seems too complicated should probably be left out" since most moders tend to go overboard with good ideas taken too far

Soulcucker

Savant
I would second Misery 1.2, the only issues I had with it was the ridiculously low stamina and I found the helmet overlays more annoying than immersive. Stamina can be edited in a config file and the helmets overlays can be removed by editing hud files.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom