Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fans Have Dropped $77M on This Guy’s Buggy, Half-Built Game

https://www.wired.com/2015/03/fans-dropped-77m-guys-buggy-half-built-game/

Chris Roberts, creator of Star Citizen, calls this mode “in-fiction,” and it's a signature element of his new game's appeal for fans who adore the neglected niche of the sci-fi game genre that Star Citizen occupies. And yet for every would-be player who thinks Roberts is the savior of hardcore PC gaming—George Lucas crossed with Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto—there's one who thinks him a charlatan, a 21st-century snake-oil salesman. What's undeniably true is that he's one of the greatest marketers the industry has ever seen.

Beyond that, how does Roberts explain the $77 million secret of Star Citizen's success? “The big thing is the thing that we didn't do,” he says. “Most crowdfunding campaigns engage some people, convince them to become backers, and then the campaign stops. We didn't stop.”

Star Citizen backers spend a lot of time thinking about what they're going to do when the final version of the game appears. Many have already formed guilds and squadrons. Knight spends a lot of time online with his own 59-member guild, which gets together over group Skype chat. They mostly do team-building exercises, though they also dip into other online games, like Destiny and Evolve. Last June, a pre-alpha piece of Star Citizen was released that allowed players to square off against each other in a limited selection of single-occupant combat planes, but despite being patched, Knight says, it's still too buggy to be worthwhile for group training. “If we put time into learning how it works now,” he says, “that might not be rewarded, because it's probably not going to work the same way in a month.”
These people are fucking insane.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Insane people doing insane things is one thing.

But how about the guys who take advantage of the insane people? How do the SC scamsters look themselves in the mirror, how can they sleep their nights knowing that they most probably have ruined more than a few lives? I wouldn't be surprised if there more than a few deaths involving victims "suckers" of this hoax.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
I would sleep the sleep of kings and Scrooge McDuck in his fucking moneybin if I made some sucker commit suicide because he spent life-alteringly bad sums of money on my imaginary spaceships.

Caveat Emptor, baby!

Deathsquid

Learned

But how about the guys who take advantage of the insane people? How do the SC scamsters look themselves in the mirror, how can they sleep their nights knowing that they most probably have ruined more than a few lives? I wouldn't be surprised if there more than a few deaths involving victims "suckers" of this hoax.
Think there was some guy that sold his farm to fuel his SC picture addiction, and some other guy that got into his kid's college fund, and a few other sad, broken people.

Also, shit like this.

sIvgYLT.png

mS5DkDt.png

These people really need to see someone about whatever the fuck is wrong with them.

Took advantage my ass. They allowed themselves to be fooled that way because they are gullible and indulge in sheep herd mentality.

I thought they were all "whales", wealthy people or at least ITs with no kids and some money to burn, but the idea that there are other people losing money over this is disturbing.

There are some players making money out of this though.

Deathsquid

Learned
There are some players making money out of this though.

Eh, that market is gone now, that was in 2016. I think someone here actually made money on their account, maybe Blaine. Right now grey market is fairly anemic and idiots to buy someone else's JPG collection coming in fresh are few and far between. There's still an amazing amount of old whales buying whatever shit that comes to concept sales though.

Including space parachutes.

In a space game.

About space.

[article from 2015]

[video from 2016]

It's like pulling out all the mashed up rotten guts from inside the dead horse, then putting it inside a fur coat to pretend that it's a fresh horse that can once again be beaten into mush.
I didn't bother looking at the dates because everything that happened since just confirmed the red flags and criticisms. Here is a glassdoor review from 4 Nov 2017:

cloud-imperium-games-squarelogo-1429791890883.png

"A once in a lifetime opportunity"
StarStarStarStarStar
Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Manchester, England (UK)

Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
Disapproves of CEO
I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* However this project and business turn out I'm happy I got to work on this once in a lifetime project that has really pushed boundaries in many areas of software development, games development, networking, and computer science.

* Despite a lot of my ex-colleagues being younger, newer in the industry and sometimes inexperienced / naïve, they really worked incredibly hard and with huge amounts of enthusiasm, … Show More

Cons

* A lot of the management have little to no idea what they are doing, use software development methodologies from the last century and are frankly out of their depth. This causes an exponentially increasing spiral of delays that a modern experienced project manager would see coming from a mile away and know how to deal with. The project is getting ever further away from completion despite what public statements to the contrary say. These managers may have been the best of the best back in their day, but it is no longer that day and people rarely have consistent hits their entire career.

* This issue is compounded by the fact that CIG pays below industry average salaries, because they correctly think many people will want the prestige of having worked on such an exciting project to be on their CV, however you also don't get the best talent this way.

* Both the salary and management issues have caused a lot of more experienced staff who were really making the most progress to leave. A lot of the people left are fairly wet behind the ears and need a lot more mentoring before stepping up to the plate. I spent over half my time mentoring other members of staff even in areas I only have a vague passing knowledge of.

* Collectively we ended up grinding harder and harder, losing increasingly more of our lives, over smaller and smaller irrelevant things that the CEO dreamed up. This has been getting worse recently not better, especially with recent technologies added to the game that should have been implemented at the end, not now.Show Less

Advice to Management

Hire experienced executives and professional project managers with current decade skills and qualifications - Not family members, friends or old contacts.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
MandaloreGaming is my favourite game youtuber,that guy actually have real life do goes to work and doing it for the fun. He really have good videos.

On the other note. I can see the mass suicides and terrorist acts when this game is pronounced as finished. The idiot brigade will be decimated once they realise that the game will be that small shitty star system.... maybe two at best. Ohhh it will be glorious amusement .

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
On the other note. I can see the mass suicides and terrorist acts when this game is pronounced as finished. The idiot brigade will be decimated once they realise that the game will be that small shitty star system.... maybe two at best. Ohhh it will be glorious amusement .

I've come up with another theory meanwhile...

First there were harsh critcisms. Many quarrels. Very passionate. Because people cared. Then many years passed. Most of the criticisms lost their bite. Even Derek Smart mostly stays in his own forum. No active warfare anymore. Fewer and fewer people follow Starcitizen development. Backers lose their interest. They are tired of it. They care less and less. Eventually there is a chance, that CIG goes bankrupt or there is still no game in X years. But instead of a revolt, big bang and aftermath - people will just accept it - because they have no energy anymore. They don't care anymore. Everything will "quietly fart out"...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I've come up with another theory meanwhile...

First there were harsh critcisms. Many quarrels. Very passionate. Because people cared. Then many years passed. Most of the criticisms lost their bite. Even Derek Smart mostly stays in his own forum. No active warfare anymore. Fewer and fewer people follow Starcitizen development. Backers lose their interest. They are tired of it. They care less and less. Eventually there is a chance, that CIG goes bankrupt or there is still no game in X years. But instead of a revolt, big bang and aftermath - people will just accept it - because they have no energy anymore. They don't care anymore. Everything will "quietly fart out"...
Oh yeah,it is a smart tactic,most people will forget it in time. Still an asshole that sold his farm for the game could become very unstable and decides to bomb the studio or something. There are some crazy people backing that shit. If person stakes his life and existing on such shit and he is betrayed,they could easily snap.

Big Wrangle

I'm only hoping it comes out so that Mandalore will finally make an epilogue video on it.

Deathsquid

Learned
Those two should join forces to make an ultimate space autism chariot game that would never come out and even if it did no-one would ever be able to play it for a myriad of reasons.

It would be amazing.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

I dont know but with 100+ million stuffed in my mattress I could sleep like a baby.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I dont know but with 100+ million stuffed in my mattress I could sleep like a baby.
You won't sleep at all mate. You will become hyper paranoid that someone could be stealing from your mattress. Of course fire is always a danger. Will you dare to leave your house to to the local shop?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You won't sleep at all mate. You will become hyper paranoid that someone could be stealing from your mattress. Of course fire is always a danger. Will you dare to leave your house to to the local shop?
100+ million stuffed in the mattress can't be comfortable either.

HansDampf

Arcane
So, what's the status, aside from all the drama? I haven't been following this for a while. What's the current "official release date" for SQ42? :M

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

100+ million stuffed in the mattress can't be comfortable either.
Unless you like hard beds,it will feel like sleeping on a wooden floor.

Deathsquid

Learned
So, what's the status, aside from all the drama? I haven't been following this for a while. What's the current "official release date" for SQ42? :M
The website no longer has the "Answer the call: Year", it's just "Answer the call" now.

So I guess it's whenever you answer the call? Idk tbh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom