Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Perkel

Arcane
I honestly don't know what you're trying to say. Are you saying Roberts is right? Or Smart? Are you saying the project has no problems, or that it's fucked?

There is no situation in which you can say Smart is right.

That being said. SC imo has simply way to big scope to be finished (i mean persistent universe part) anytime soon and i has huge chance to self combust under share amount of features they want in game. Increased complexity means usually that game will need to be polished more before being ready and in case of SC i don't think they will polish it enough at all to being "polished" state even year after release of full persistent universe.

On other hand SQ48 which is imo what i want personally is not really a problem for them to finish and deliver even this year.

Either way SQ48 is what they will deliver first in therm of full product and they will probably follow that year or 1.5 year later with 1.0 release of SC

edit:

This is probably due to mostly iterative process of their developement. Unlike other games where most of design in put forward before production even begun CGI seems to follow iterative process where they put in new things while they develop game thus sometimes needing to scrap part of their work to accomodate for those new things.

On one hand it streatches out developement of game increasing cost of production a lot. On other hand you can create/remove things that you like/dislike while you are in full production. IF you feel that game would be better with for example full scale solar system and players would want that in game then in iterative process you can do that usually meaning scraping part of work.

Normally such production wouldn't fly in publisher type game because they biggest margins even at cost of worse game. CGI have amazing situation in which they are payed up front their whole developement cost and then some. So they can follow iterative process.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Ah. Yeah, that makes sense. Pretty sure SQ48 will launch one way or another, there's no arguing that. Problem here is the PU, like you say. It's grown so much in scope there's almost no way they can deliver a polished, satisfying product there. I'd like to be wrong, of course, since I'd rather have one more good game out there rather than the alternative, but it's the PU and not the SQ48 part of the original project that might end up being the problem.

Actually that seems to mainly be Smart's narrative as well, he's mostly stomping on PU rather than the singleplayer campaign.

Perkel

Arcane
Only way i see them releasing it in polished state is via expanding universe.

So they will release beta with like 20 systems, then 30-40 on release and with coming months next systems.

Still most of problems will come from systems they are trying to mash and bugs that will be caused by that.

Item ports i think will be the biggest one and they confirmed that in that video that this is their biggest issue currently.

Mortmal

Arcane
1cc80e49-2b53-4aa4-a55c-87c1df822c1a.jpg

hknt

Literate
So basically Derek Smart was wrong and this game will actually come out, is what you're saying?

hknt

Literate
Continue reading 165 pages of conflicting information I don't know what to make of or ask someone who actually followed this monster thread for years for a simplified answer? Damn, guess I made the wrong choice. If only I signed in 4 years earlier to ask the question I only started wanting to ask recently about a project that didn't have my interest until now. Curse my lack of foresight!!

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Here is the short version.

Star Citizen was delayed several times already, they have never meet a release deadline and they decided to sell Squadron 42 and the Persistent Universe separately.

Will it come out? Squadron 42 might some time from now to 2020, they delayed it so much most of the whales migrated so they have to put something out but the Persistent Universe suffered from so much feature creep its unlikely to come out unless Roberts develops a common sense and starts cutting the fat, keep in mind it was supposed to come out at the end of 2014 and that was their words, not ours.

This simply became a example of mismanagement and how you cannot just throw money at a problem to make it go away.

Severian Silk

How are high pings affecting gameplay in ED? Will it be the same for SC or do they have a better solution?

Dexter

Arcane
Some more Drama, tards that spent lots of money on this flaming shitheap have discovered that CIG Customer Support have given them special tags in their CS system, apparently unaware that they were visible: http://archive.is/L2G1k

Some of them are "Snowflakes", "Grey Market Trading", "High Maintenance":
61f6dcb8dd466e938d16418de4fcc55f85d4c07c.png

o0UJmfc.png

Vn9qL7h.png

I wonder what they tagged Blaine as.

Also Roberts won't make it to E3, even though he promised +M: http://archive.is/5DRdx

CLOUD IMPERIUM GAMES

Last year, developer Chris Roberts promised to show up in person at the 2016 PC Gaming Show to talk about Star Citizen. However, Polygon has learned that Roberts will not be on hand. Cloud Imperium will not be participating in the PC Gaming Show despite agreeing several months ago to do so.

A representative for Cloud Imperium tells us that Roberts sent PC Gamer his regrets just a few weeks ago, saying that his schedule won't allow for a trip to Los Angeles. In fact, the studio is skipping E3 entirely.

Instead, the spokesperson tells us that Roberts will be devoting all his efforts to work on Squadron 42 at his studio in England. The rep added that the studio will have something to show at Gamescom in August.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-part-of-the-e3-pc-gaming-show-after-all.aspx

http://en.yibada.com/articles/12549...ate-crowdfunding-reaches-more-110-million.htm
Cloud Imperium CEO Chris Roberts explained in his interview with BBC that although the continuous cash flow indicates a positive feedback from supporters, the total amount of money they are collecting from the crowdfunding is still uncertain, which makes it one of its pitfalls. He also assured that he has no intentions of pocketing the money because Cloud Imperium intends to create the best game possible.

Roberts also mentioned that despite the enormous amount of money received right now, there are still times games get cancelled and "pushed back." He further explained that it takes years for a game to be fully developed, and by the time the general public hears about a game, it is most likely been in development for quite some time already. Despite the large amount of money from the crowdfunding, Roberts also explained that this poses another difficulty because pledgers are given the opportunity to demand something for the game, and a variety of these is not healthy.

At least it's apparently offering some amazin' emergent gameplay:

PewPewPewPewPew!

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
How much more abuse do these retards spending tens of thousands of dollars on virtual ships have to put up with before they get mad enough to threaten legal action?

Roberts also explained that this poses another difficulty because pledgers are given the opportunity to demand something for the game, and a variety of these is not healthy.
Just fucking say no. Stick to the original plan, or at least make sure any new features you promise are actually possible before you promise them. Do what Elite did and deliver the core game, then add features through DLC as you go along.

polo

Magister
>40k? FFS you can buy a good lawyer for that money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom