Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
They certainly know how to surprise in a presentation, that looked fantastic.

Wow, there is actually a game in there. I have to say, this shit looks amazing. Makes you wonder what this game could have been if the devs weren't bogged down with the stupid FPS mode and shit like that. If they concentrated on making a good space sim, we might have a game by now.

Seeing the crowd cheering like hell, I have no doubts that these videos will bring in another few millions for Chris Roberts.

Looks good, like presentation of No Man's Game or something. I expected space sim thought.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, certainly good to see that maybe my $30 might see me a game one day, and that one of several dozen features finally got a working prototype. Hopefully they'll work on actual gameplay next, though, because, yeah, NMS.

Latelistener

Arcane
I assume the goal was to make Chris Roberts a millionaire, who will make enjoyable trailers, when he has free time from doing coke and smoking prostitutes? In this case, that's definitely a success.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
YouTube comments all boil down to 1. Take that haters 2. This proves the game is awesome and bestest thing ever

Funny enough, none of what was shown is currently available to play by backers... And I suspect won't be anytime in the next few years.

Perkel

Arcane
Well that looked ace. Especially air space support for ground combat.
Also it is kind of crazy that they went away totally with loading and level based planet bases.

Most imo interesting info from that presentation was that Stanton (aka only one system) will have around 40-50 space stations and few ground bases all created mostly by hand and work with their modular bases/station system they created along the way.

Secondly they confirmed that there will be shitload of AI npcs with their daily lifecycle on station so even if you play offline you will feel like stations are cities and not ghost ships.

Finally that Freelancer hud was pure sex and it seems like every ship will get their own hud instead of one generalized one for each ship.

For their planetary tech it looks even better than space engine and they say that this is only V1 and V2 will look way better...

In october there will be citizen con and they will blow out info and possible release date for SQ42.

Old Hans

Arcane
If SC is such a transparent crowdfunded alpha test, why are they showing off 3.0 while the gamescom streamers are making fools of themselves playing 2.4?
oh yea, because its all fake.

the real SC is all in chris roberts imagination.

Mortmal

Arcane
YouTube comments all boil down to 1. Take that haters 2. This proves the game is awesome and bestest thing ever

Funny enough, none of what was shown is currently available to play by backers... And I suspect won't be anytime in the next few years.

Probably not before 2018 at least , although theres some part of that demo already available to backers.The part you get up from bed wander in station , meet other people and pick together its real . Sometimes friendly players let you try their collection of ships.So its not all gloom and despair...
It shows more potential than elite dangerous , even if they take their sweet time here' some progress . I start to think it will end up a much better,much more fun game.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Derek Smart ‏@dsmart 2h2 hours ago
to be fair, even though the planet was rudimentary and just a basic mesh they threw together, R&D is coming along

LoL. Smart says that there is actually R&D in play.
I've lived to see this :)
Does that mean that he will shut up for a while and work on his own stuff?

And more importantly, will Blaine buy his Idris corvette back for more that he sold it for in Black Internetz? :)D just joking, couldn't resist)

That looked quite nice to be honest. I can see it now that they will be releasing new star systems on monthly-yearly basis with some basic back story attached AFTER they release Star Citizen 1.0 (aka Alpha 17.09.345) which will be a barebone 3-5 systems. Which means that all those stretch goals of 60+ star systems, alien languages and what not will materialize in full in around 2030 (if they care to support it).
But even if they can deliver 1/10 of what they promised within a year and if it looks like the videos above, I may be interested in trying it.

Mortmal

Arcane
Blaine sold his capital ship for the double of its price, he could just buy some of the newer ships . I am pretty sure its not the last time they will put capitals on sale either.For now he will have to do with a 345$ model at best like the other peasants ;)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GucYhhLwIxg

An excellent demonstration PR presentation to buy a couple more years and bring in even more money.

I admit, if a lot of things about it were to improve, that looks like something I would very much like to play as a single player campaign. It looks shallow and tedious as shit, though.

Why does it take $500 million to remake Privateer with modern graphics?

Seethe

Arbiter
Why's that Gamescom video so praised? How do they still not realize that developers just take 0.001% of the game and polish it for presentation sake while the rest is still an unfinished mess? Those comments just make me cringe. "Hurr, told you guys, they are working on it". Literal retards.

Perkel

Arcane
Why's that Gamescom video so praised? How do they still not realize that developers just take 0.001% of the game and polish it for presentation sake while the rest is still an unfinished mess? Those comments just make me cringe. "Hurr, told you guys, they are working on it". Literal retards.

Because game shows systems working so many people thought it wouldn't work. And it isn't just for show. This will be in update 3.0 toward end of this year same as their previous presentation where they shown multicrew ships working and localized physic grid system also working.

They basically already have core of the game in place and everything they wanted to achieve from technology standpoint. From now on they can focus on polishing only tech and producing content.
This also means that SQ42 is around corner as SQ42 was held back by technology still being wip.

Their biggest challange imo right now is netcode. They say that they have complete rewrite of it in mind for 2.7-3.0 but i remaind i doubt.

If anything games proved for last 20 years is that you can't make MMO action game as fudging and walls typical to RPGs and other type of games simply can't work in action game.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
If it wasn't just for show why did they have the inward facing monitors during the Gamescom stream play 2.4 where you can't even open a door to a ship without glitching through the wall? Absolute shit, absolute scam. Shitizens shrieking 'netcode' isn't going to make the game actually happen.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Because game shows systems working so many people thought it wouldn't work. And it isn't just for show. This will be in update 3.0 toward end of this year same as their previous presentation where they shown multicrew ships working and localized physic grid system also working.

Jesus fucking Christ. It doesn't show a fucking thing.

It shows they have a controlled environment scripted demonstration. Even if this was a single player game, it'd be highly dubious.

Perkel

Arcane

It shows they have a controlled environment scripted demonstration. Even if this was a single player game, it'd be highly dubious.

Just like their last presentation with multiple crew which didn't work and people are playing it right now...

Angthoron

Arcane
Thing that most seem to miss is that even if this feature works (and I will reserve my final judgement until I see that thing I paid 30 bucks for), it doesn't show how well and how universally it works. Okay, you can land on one planet. That's great! Let's even assume the sequence isn't scripted or pre-rendered! Let's do that - it's a real sequence of landing on a real planet. Alright! Let's ignore the characteristic lack of jitter that every video of alpha 1 and 2 has had - maybe it's indeed fixed in 3.

We immediately arrive at the next set of things, however.

1) The planet base. Is every planet in the game going to have something like this? Is it going to be implemented in as much - totally unscripted - detail? Or has it been built purely for the sake of the presentation? Is this from the SP module only, or will MP have dozens/hundreds of such hubs?
2) Landing on other planets - can it be done? Should it be done?
3) Player-based planet bases. When are the backers going to see anything that even remotely hints at it being doable? In 5.0 at Gamescom 2017?
4) Where's the fucking gameplay?
5) By the way, do you remember the presentations of No Man's Sky?

So yeah. They showed a - probably working - feature, but that really means fuck-all at this point because there's hundreds of features that need to make it into the final product for those planet landings to matter at all. But hey - if people that find themselves either sexually aroused about StarCitizen's possible failure, or those that need to have a fap every time they see a new JPG concept, find this presentation exciting, all the best for 'em.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

b-but C-Chris San would never lie!!!!!1111111

:M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GucYhhLwIxg

An excellent demonstration PR presentation to buy a couple more years and bring in even more money.

I admit, if a lot of things about it were to improve, that looks like something I would very much like to play as a single player campaign. It looks shallow and tedious as shit, though.

Why does it take $500 million to remake Privateer with modern graphics?

Because modern "immersive game menus" cost that much to make. That is what most of this video consists of. Doing tedious shit in immersive 3D that would take a few clicks in a few seconds to do through game menus of the old. Not saying it is necessarily bad but there doesn't seem to be a context for any gameplay elements to justify so much theme park game space.

And Privateer's talking portrait is still so much better.

Perkel

Arcane
Thing that most seem to miss is that even if this feature works (and I will reserve my final judgement until I see that thing I paid 30 bucks for), it doesn't show how well and how universally it works. Okay, you can land on one planet. That's great! Let's even assume the sequence isn't scripted or pre-rendered! Let's do that - it's a real sequence of landing on a real planet. Alright! Let's ignore the characteristic lack of jitter that every video of alpha 1 and 2 has had - maybe it's indeed fixed in 3.

We immediately arrive at the next set of things, however.

1) The planet base. Is every planet in the game going to have something like this? Is it going to be implemented in as much - totally unscripted - detail? Or has it been built purely for the sake of the presentation? Is this from the SP module only, or will MP have dozens/hundreds of such hubs?
2) Landing on other planets - can it be done? Should it be done?
3) Player-based planet bases. When are the backers going to see anything that even remotely hints at it being doable? In 5.0 at Gamescom 2017?
4) Where's the fucking gameplay?
5) By the way, do you remember the presentations of No Man's Sky?

So yeah. They showed a - probably working - feature, but that really means fuck-all at this point because there's hundreds of features that need to make it into the final product for those planet landings to matter at all. But hey - if people that find themselves either sexually aroused about StarCitizen's possible failure, or those that need to have a fap every time they see a new JPG concept, find this presentation exciting, all the best for 'em.

You should watch whole presentation ?

1) Not all planets. Only when it makes sense. Some planets will have multiple cities you can visit some none. They created modular tech that allows them to create quickly bases like this and then use hands of artists to make it unique. Base in presentation was mining colony.

That mining colony is part of 3.0 update and will be relesed by end of year along with shitload of other stuff (about 30-40 stations in Stanton system + planet based bases like in presentation)

Purpose of that demo was to show that they have working procedural planet creation which works in tandem with handmade content that can be placed on planets like that station.

2). From presentation: Any planet, asteroid etc as long as it has surface. IMO there will be few planets where you won't be able to do it (like city-planet type which is simply to much needless work). Procedural tech was part of their streatchgoals and they even plan to add vegetation and shit.

3) what does that mean ? Like player made cities and bases ? That never was part of SC in streatchgoals. But in same presentation Chris said that with procedural tech done they have basically bilions of square kilometers on planets that can be claimed by players hiting player owned homes etc. Imo probably something they have in mind but didn't even put any work toward it since it requires first finishing prc.tech.

4) In presentation ? Dude started at station, went with friends to other station, accepted quest from dude to recover blackbox, they fly off and made to wreck, they switch to fps and go into that wreck recover black box, quest giver contacts them and proposes alternative to quest to which they agree, after fight inside of ship they fly off to planet surface where dudes do groud combat with space ship support and finish quest, quest giver contacts them and doublecrosses them.

That quest alone by most of codexian could be considered basically from some RPG game.
IMO: how much of content of this quality they can produce ? Who knows 100mln+ at work.

5) NMS didn't have any presentations. They had few trailers and talk with developer where he showed them absolutely nothing to point where press was confused what you actually do in NMS like 2-3 months before release...

They showed a - probably working - feature, but that really means fuck-all at this point because there's hundreds of features that need to make it into the final product for those planet landings to matter at all.

They already have all features in place for planet landing. 64bit tech removed limits for their solar systems / planet sizes, localized physic grid allowed them literally to have fluidly changing gravity between player/ship/space/station/planet which basically allowed them to have planetary landing, They integrated FPS module with rest of the game, they integrated all animation into one pipeline that governs everything from ships to ground combat, they rewritten cryengine to point where it should even be called like that to allow proper streaming tech (aka no loadings) and many other things cryengine didn't allow for, planetary procedural tech allowed them to quickly make planets and have handmade content on them without it sticking like sore thumb.

3.0 aka what was shown according to them will be available by end of the year. Stanton will grow to about 40+station/bases with a lot of bodies on which you can land outside of those stations. And that is just one of 100+ systems

Anyone who even briefly follow their development videos saw that coming as they presented one after another pieces they were working on, improving on them and showing parts of them working already.

edit:

also planetary landing isn't new. Space Engine has it, Evochron mercenary, Elite Dangerous fucking NMS and most of those games were made by fraction of people CIG has. IT would be hilarious if they wouldn't be able to do this with one of best tech heads in business (they poached a lot of tech talent over the years from other studios, their engine developement is spearheaded by same people who designed Cryengine ((they poached them from crytek back when crytek was in deep shit))

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom