Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Drax

Arcane
They didn't hire 300 people on a short time, they have been steadily increasing their staff since the project started.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah and they also seem to specialized different studios they own in different things.

Like for example Frankfurt studio is mostly made out of ex-Crytek dudes who now work on engine (their studio is responsible for procedural planet generation btw)

UK does SQ42

US does mostly SC and supplies UK with assets and content.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
In terms of an MMO's development time, it's on a fairly normal pace. Hell, The Elder Scrolls Online was in development for seven years, and is estimated to have had a budget of around $200 million, same goes for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
In terms of an MMO's development time, it's on a fairly normal pace. Hell, The Elder Scrolls Online was in development for seven years, and is estimated to have had a budget of around $200 million, same goes for Star Wars: The Old Republic.
So where's the single player game?

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

When the single player component is tied so deeply to the MMO on both a technical and design level it is very much affected by the usual MMO development cycle and its length.

Perkel

Arcane

Q1 2017

I don't think they spoke which Q. Just hinted at 2017. I expect it mid year to end of a year.

Perkel

Arcane
Something big is a-brewing in the Smart lab.

old_shacka_lrg.jpg

justincz

Scholar
if thats suppose to represent DS credibility i wouldnt want to know how CR shed looks like. by mid 2017 he is finished! noone will ever forget all the ways he managed to fuck up, and people like you allowed him to.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I'd just wish that Derek Smart would release an actual working game for once. It is a genuine mystery to me how this guy has made a rather profitable career out of releasing the shit he makes.

Star Citizen in the mean time? Dunno. I expected a Wing Commander clone when I backed it. Then a Privateer clone when the scope seemed to expand. Then it seemed to turn into a Privateer clone with an added Wing Commander on top. By then I kinda stopped following this. Prime example of feature creep. Personally I'll be surprised if it ever comes off the ground. And even if it does, if it won't be a massive disappointment.

Still, I've been digging Roberts his ambitious vision on gaming since forever. Fondly remember the days when a new Origins blockbuster would mean having to buy a new pc. Games like Strike Commander will always have a special place with me.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Problem with those "visionaries" is they promise going to the Moon and then Mars and then outside the Solar System yet they never go the Moon.

Its a question of being a realist, its fine to want to create a holodeck but at the end of the day you know you cannot create a holodeck so you try to get as close as they can, that brings the other issue ... Crowd Funding have no accountability and as you can argue they arent intending to mislead people, that is no intent to create fraud the fact is this cannot be extended to everyone, it reminds of the The Producers were you can have a Franz Liebkind but you will also have a Max Bialystock.

Perkel

Arcane
citizen con is such a bullshit right now. It should start at 11:00 (where i live) then i check website and in about 30 minutes pre show will start. Fucking great it isn't 11:00 but 12:00...

Pre show garbage show where they talk to fanboys now is like 1,5h and it is 1:00 am. Fucking great. They say show will start shortly at least from last 30 minutes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom