Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

:Flash:

Arcane
Perkel , considering that you are a giant fan of all the vapourware salesmen, what do you think will happen first, Chris Roberts releasing a full version of Star Citizen or Elon Musk transporting people in a Hyperloop capsule, or to Mars?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
hub_large.jpg

just look at their faces

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
At the moment the servers struggle when it has to support/render a big ship like the Starfarer and we keep getting tailored "demos" with humongous planets and other things to be.

Some time ago procedural planets were a thing to be explored on and now citizencon revolves just around them.
Netcode will make or kill this game.

Turjan

Arcane
It's called jealousy, he's butthurt because no one recognizes he's obviously a genius of game development that already made star citizen in the 50s or something.
You may as well be right, but who knows? Derek Smart may be the only reason why Chris Roberts keeps struggling on, because he doesn't want to give Smart his victory.

Perkel

Arcane
We'll see in ~2 weeks. At next citizent con in two weeks they will probably announce release Q or exact date for SQ42. I am betting q4 2017 for that holiday spot.

I guess we now know, don't we?

This is about their original kickstarter release date (which was end of 2016). They didn't say anything about any delays in citizen con. There was no formal release date anonced before hand (Aside from initial pitch goal and that is for 2mln not 6mln campaign). On contrary they said that they are finishing SQ42. Most levels are done and they will be doing first complete SQ42 chapter to final polish (out of 26) by end of/early next year.

My original estimate is end of 2017 with possible slip to early 2018 and judging by presentation it will be delivered in those qs as when they will go final polish on chapter1 they will be much faster with each new chapter they will finish (chapter 1 is used as metric and standard setter for their content creation, polish and finish).

Turjan

Arcane
We'll see in ~2 weeks. At next citizent con in two weeks they will probably announce release Q or exact date for SQ42. I am betting q4 2017 for that holiday spot.

I guess we now know, don't we?

This is about their original kickstarter release date (which was end of 2016)
I was contrasting your "will probably announce release Q or exact date for SQ42" with "Squadron 42, the single player campaign for upcoming space MMO Star Citizen, has been delayed indefinitely."

Drakron

Arcane
I was contrasting your "will probably announce release Q or exact date for SQ42" with "Squadron 42, the single player campaign for upcoming space MMO Star Citizen, has been delayed indefinitely."

I dont think it will be cancelled for two reasons, first one being SQ42 sales will be a injection of money as the second one being that is being done by his brother in England so cancelling would mean the termination of the entire English studio.

If that happens, anyone with half a brain cell would abandon ship.

Perkel

Arcane
Procedural planets are really coming along

What is like the most about their choice in making planets 1:1 is sense of scale. Everytime you play space game you are near station and you see planet and you can't actually feel that this planet is megabig.

This is because usually planets are either done via simple faking by either fiddling with scale or just using textures instead of planets or simple objects and have limit to how close you can get to planet.

Then there is topography of planet. If you play No man's sky you can perfectly see that all of its topography is like 100m+/- whilre real life at least of earth is like from -10k to +8km AND you can feel it standing on mountaing that.

This is same things normal games have problem with. Take for example Skyrim's High Hrotgard. IT LOOKS like huge mountain but in reality it is literally small hill from POV of size of player. That is because it is simply that. A hill with FX to camuflage it as huge mountain.

Space Engine doesn't have funky graphics but when you set yourself on cliff of crater and you look down you can "feel" that this crater is unimaginably big to just walk in it.

:Flash:

Arcane
Procedural planets are really coming along

What is like the most about their choice in making planets 1:1 is sense of scale. Everytime you play space game you are near station and you see planet and you can't actually feel that this planet is megabig.

This is because usually planets are either done via simple faking by either fiddling with scale or just using textures instead of planets or simple objects and have limit to how close you can get to planet.

Then there is topography of planet. If you play No man's sky you can perfectly see that all of its topography is like 100m+/- whilre real life at least of earth is like from -10k to +8km AND you can feel it standing on mountaing that.

This is same things normal games have problem with. Take for example Skyrim's High Hrotgard. IT LOOKS like huge mountain but in reality it is literally small hill from POV of size of player. That is because it is simply that. A hill with FX to camuflage it as huge mountain.

Space Engine doesn't have funky graphics but when you set yourself on cliff of crater and you look down you can "feel" that this crater is unimaginably big to just walk in it.

The problem is that big != fun
Derek Smarts games had realistically sized planets, as did Frontier. It just means that there is lots of nothing to do in between mission areas. Star Quest on the other hand had planets that were absolutely not to scale, but were actually fun.

sullynathan

Arcane
The thing with NMS is that no one had actually played the game and it was all sean's talk, with SC people can try out different aspects of the game already.
A lot of people played No Mans Sky. The difference was that the devs didn't ask you to pay to play its demo.

ortucis

Prophet
The thing with NMS is that no one had actually played the game and it was all sean's talk, with SC people can try out different aspects of the game already.
A lot of people played No Mans Sky.

No they didn't. They played it after it was released, not before. Before Sean showed a video and stood in front of it with a gamepad pretending to play it.

Also, developers aren't forcing you to play Star Citizen. You can wait for the release to pay to play.

I love how much progress these guys are making. If I had some money to spare, I'd support them (not that they need it anymore). But I'll just wait for the release and enjoy these videos they release. Finally a game that's pushing PC gaming and a genre instead of being just a pretty tech demo (Crysis).

sullynathan

Arcane
No they didn't. They played it after it was released, not before. Before Sean showed a video and stood in front of it with a gamepad pretending to play it.
gaming journos played No Mans Sky before release. That's why there was so much ambiguity about what you do in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom