Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
So now anytime you want to refund a ship to buy a new one there is a 5 USD tax?
I must admit, it is a brilliant tactic in its deviousness to milk more money.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I don't see the problem, tbh, and I am firmly in the pre-orders are for idiots crowd.

You "bought" a virtual ship. The assumption is that you used it. Did you fly the ship in the game? If not, you have an argument - the seal is still on the box, so to speak.

If you did use your purchase, that you can get a refund is actually surprising. What is not surprising is that you have to pay a "re-stocking" fee.

So, are you a crybaby who doesn't understand how money works, or did you make an accidental purchase?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Doesn't matter what digital is, half-wit.

There is such a thing as COGS. Cost of goods sold.

It doesn't take no money to make the ship that was purchased. Yes, it doesn't technically have to be restocked, but that doesn't mean anything was free to make.

Nirvash

Liturgist
People won't continue funneling munney into this pyramid scheme forever, r-right?

Nope.

The one and only thing able to stop this fraud is a new legit big scope space game.

So... nothing? Maybe starfield (if not just a space fallout)? Is eve 2 in the works?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I check this only infrequently, but what I read sounds pretty disheartening. Wasn't 3.0 supposed to come out in June, and introduce real gameplay?

Morkar Left

I don't see the problem, tbh, and I am firmly in the pre-orders are for idiots crowd.

You "bought" a virtual ship. The assumption is that you used it. Did you fly the ship in the game? If not, you have an argument - the seal is still on the box, so to speak.

If you did use your purchase, that you can get a refund is actually surprising. What is not surprising is that you have to pay a "re-stocking" fee.

So, are you a crybaby who doesn't understand how money works, or did you make an accidental purchase?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Actually it's surprising they are taking only a small amount. Everybody knows that the value of a new car is lowered the most the moment it gets bought.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Doesn't matter what digital is, half-wit.

There is such a thing as COGS. Cost of goods sold.

It doesn't take no money to make the ship that was purchased. Yes, it doesn't technically have to be restocked, but that doesn't mean anything was free to make.
:deathclaw:
Wow. Just wow.
Thankfully people with such a limited grasp of the digital world are rare here.

You should take your "basics of economy" and keep them to yourself. They might become useful once we're back to feudal kingdoms and mercantilism.
COGS? Seriously? Did you just hear that in a classroom? :lol:

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Yeah, I just heard it in a classroom. :yeah:

I am not lacking in understanding how digital works. I perhaps understand better how the world at large works...

Bricks and mortar pal.

justincz

Scholar
great news! F42 just took out a potentially major loan with ALL assets as security. this is highly suspicious. they could use that money only to stay aflout for a few months, wind it all down and the bank takes over everything for auction.
sell anything to a dev as discussed on the previous page? well that probably wouldnt be possible any longer either. remeber at 60mil when Roberts said they had plenty money for all he could ever want in the game? or that they would treat backers "with the same ammount of respect as a developer" lol.

http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/sc-scoop/#post-5346
https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...id=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1336#post473732601

Perkel

Arcane
Are you retard?
The money is gone, the "R&D" were it was spend is for a existing engine, nothing that come out of it have any actual use since its entirely based on existing licensed technology.

There is nothing of worth, anyone that would buy it would end up in a situation were all they could do is pushing for the project completion within a reasonable time and hope it would recover costs, a unlikely situation.

False. They do use Lumberyard (and earlier CryEngine) but mostly for internal stuff. Everything considering rendering, networking, animation etc. was completely detached from CryEngine to point where they didn't want to implement any changes recent CryEngine updates. Like HL2 engine it is basically their own thing (HL2 engine started as Q2 engine) and they only take updates to main engine manually to not brake things with their own tech.

People won't continue funneling munney into this pyramid scheme forever, r-right?

great news! F42 just took out a potentially major loan with ALL assets as security. this is highly suspicious. they could use that money only to stay aflout for a few months, wind it all down and the bank takes over everything for auction.
sell anything to a dev as discussed on the previous page? well that probably wouldnt be possible any longer either. remeber at 60mil when Roberts said they had plenty money for all he could ever want in the game? or that they would treat backers "with the same ammount of respect as a developer" lol.

http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/sc-scoop/#post-5346
https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...id=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1336#post473732601

lol

YxpA23W.jpg

yes that is $20 mln in last 6 months. They obviously are in very stable financial situation and their earning actually are rising YoY. It is more like they are establishing credit line for company which requires you to actually use some bank services in first place. Or they just need quick money to expand and not wait 5-6 months to get new devteam/building.

Imo they are getting quickmoney to expand faster. Most of their tech in mature enough or close to finishing so they probably will be hiring a lot of artists to fill up production line.

flyingjohn

Arcane
They could hire all of ea and still wouldn't be able to make this game in less then 10 years.They literally have nothing except tech demos.This loan is just a way to maintain the money laundry scheme a little more.
And hiring more people is a easy way to never get anything done.More people != more productivity.The mythical man moth ironically is right in these cases.
As for people believing they have anything except tech demos,show me a video of the game with multiple connected elements and not just modules.
Cause if they have nothing after 4 years,they will have nothing for another 4 years.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They should have scrapped first person shooting part of the game ages ago, leave only first person personal ship exploration and focus on actual space sim part.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
I promised. I promised myself I wouldn't do it again. I had a little fighter, and my happy lil' Connie Taurus. I saw the dragonfly come and go, looked awesome, definitely buying one in the 'verse and keeping it in my hold for a little exploration or just the odd zip around space, but not enough to get me to open my wallet. I was good, I was set, I was putting no more money into this game until launch... But then you HAD to go and release a sexier space bike. That's not fair! I was happy... I was content with what I had... Are you happy now, you monsters? You have yet more of my money. There'd better be a loner Dragonfly in this for me till I get my hands on this thing... I need a beer...
- from the tribulations of a Star Citizen backer

They should have scrapped first person shooting part of the game ages ago, leave only first person personal ship exploration and focus on actual space sim part.

although expensive, if they did not implemented the first person aspect, I bet all the major gaming magazines would've said that the game is still anchored in the past and just a reskin and tied to a genre that is out of vogue since the late '90 and that the game should've come with something fresh to imbue the dying genre.

Morkar Left

They should have just stick to their guns and make Squadron 42 first with traditional WC combat, altered by some physics system, with additional special missions in fps mode and running around on the carrier.
Star citizen should only allow landing on a few planets chossen planets on chosen locations via cut scenes (ports, cities). That was perfectly doable and the press would have enjoyed it as well. Because the only game that actually managed something like that before was The Precursors. And that was anything than perfect because it was on a shoe string budget, especially for such an endeavour.
Sadly, Roberts showed that he is not able to manage a company and bring projects to conclusion. Nor does he seem to recognize this fact and hire a manager who knows how to organize such a project. And even if he did, he probably wouldn't follow the rules of that manager and constantly interfere in the management. Which is said, because Roberts is really good in bringing a world alive and feel believable.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

although expensive, if they did not implemented the first person aspect, I bet all the major gaming magazines would've said that the game is still anchored in the past and just a reskin and tied to a genre that is out of vogue since the late '90 and that the game should've come with something fresh to imbue the dying genre.

They could have just said that they plan to implement first person combat post launch as an expansion, also nobody cares what gaming mags say anymore.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
also nobody cares what gaming mags say anymore.
More than ever with the gaming industry growing substantially each year.

Nobody cares what it is promised post launch when gamers voraciously gobble your game and they're gone to the next best thing in a saturated market.
The first impression is paramount when launching a game for that game to stick and remain in the collective consciousness and for anyone to give a fuck when you make a sequel or addon.
Also if Squadron 42 will not be a hit and sell like hot cakes, Star Citizen can kiss its future bye bye.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
They obviously are in very stable financial situation and their earning actually are rising YoY.
LOL. F42 numbers are public for gods sake, they are not healthy in any way. why the hell do you think they put ALL their assets at stake for the bank?
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history

Did you even check it ? It says they have about milion pound profit. YoY.

Secondly. Loan is taken by UK studio not US one. F42 is smaller studio than rest of combined and i somehow doubt you could go to bank and sell their unfinished game as stake.

IP, buildings etc. is only worth something to bank because everything else is mostly developers themselves that you can't sell.

edit: lel Smart is about to suecide

Our UK companies are entitled to a Government Game tax credit rebate which we earn every month on the Squadron 42 development. These rebates are payable by the UK Government in the fall of the next following year when we file our tax returns. Foundry 42 and its parent company Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd. have elected to partner with Coutts, a highly regarded, very selective, and specialized UK banking institution, to obtain a regular advance against this rebate, which will allow us to avoid converting unnecessarily other currencies into GBP. We obviously incur a significant part of our expenditures in GBP while our collections are mostly in USD and EUR. Given today's low interest rates versus the ongoing and uncertain currency fluctuations, this is simply a smart money management move, which we implemented upon recommendation of our financial advisors.

The collateral granted in connection with this discounting loan is absolutely standard and pertains to our UK operation only, which develops Squadron 42. As a careful review of the security will show and contrary to some irresponsible and misleading reports, the collateral specifically excludes “Star Citizen.”

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
I check this only infrequently, but what I read sounds pretty disheartening. Wasn't 3.0 supposed to come out in June, and introduce real gameplay?

there's a full tracker/schedule somewhere. last i checked, it's currently delayed by cca 1 month. considering Gamescom is right around the corner, if they don't show anything substantial/release 3.0 by then, you can join the doomsayers. if 3.0 gets released by/at Gamescom, it will give Derek "Smart" a heart attack or brain aneurysm. win-win

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The meltdown of this game will be glorious, butthurt levels never seen before. If they are taking loans it means they are already out of money.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The meltdown of this game will be glorious, butthurt levels never seen before. If they are taking loans it means they are already out of money.
That's how reasonable people would operate.

It's not how snowball scheming people or any big businesses operate. There, taking a loan just means more growth. And the growth will pay for the loan.
Hate to break for you, but no, this is not a sign of anything.

Not saying it might not be true, of course. All we can see from the outside are what they deem to show us, after all ;)

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It's not how snowball scheming people or any big businesses operate. There, taking a loan just means more growth. And the growth will pay for the loan.

So it means they are just stupid? Because they have to pay for the loan, if they had money they could just put the money into growth without the loan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom