Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Mr. Salty

Novice
The tech is impressive, and many of the individual components look great. The ships, the space station, etc. However, when taking it as a whole, the overall experience is pretty shitty. It's horrifically un-optimized, crashes regularly, and can't host more than a dozen - or fewer - people in an instance. I want it to be better, but they're so unfocused, I really can't see this coming together.

Beastro

Arcane
Feels like someone doing a jigsaw puzzle and moving on to another puzzle leaving half of the old one full of voids.

Or to put it another way, they're making games like many people play them, moving on with features as many leave most games they play unfinished.

Perkel

Arcane
From what i see they already have most of the systems they wanted in game at near finished level.
I think from that point it will be mostly about performance, bugfixing and content content content.

There is obviously game design part and how to make proper fun gameplay loop which is big unknown but that will be tuned later when more content will come out.

SQ42 should be their first release and since most of their systems are almost ready or finished i think end of next year or start of 2019 is realistic release.

Their netcode still seems to be fucked but i don't really care about that since i don't like multiplayer in space sim games.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
x8alfzfmmnuz.jpg

fosJML_n.jpg

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There is a game coming that will put Star Citizen to shame with all their budget

It's probably vapourware too but it can't possibly end up any worse than Scam Shitizen.

I could write a 1000 word autistic post on why Dual Universe will smoke SC but I don't care enough to do it.

All someone needs to know to know it's not vapourware like Chris Roberts smoke and mirror demos is to see their tech in action which they actualy showed as one of the first things

kgZ1RlT.gif

yYIPU7S.gif

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Dual Universe looks cool, but I feel like it's more of a No Mans Sky than Star Citizen.

No, it's Eve + minecraft if you want to compare it to something

Basicaly SC MP wants to be the same thing......... Star Citizen will be only worth for the single player wing commander experience....... MP will be Dual Universe, becaue SC MP will never live up to the expectations, they will never reach Dual Universe 1200 rendered players in player vicinity and everyone in the same server.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
ITZ gonna be pretty awesome, you can create an outpost on a planet and claim territory over it

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Their engine is very very impressive, everything is editable and destructible with 1200 rendered players, yes even ground, so theoreticaly players will be able to vaporize planets.

Perkel

Arcane
DU looks like minecraft + space.
SC MP will be basically MMORPG as in premade quests + player driven economy/quests etc.

They are like two entirely different concepts.

Elite, DU, No Man's Sky etc. relly on procedural generation to create content.

SC on other hand does thing old way. Instead of proceduraly generating everything they use it as base for their hand made creations. Instead of quest you take from mission board on some station you will have NPC that will be animated, have voice actor, lines of dialog even like they shown before C&C where player could finish mission differently according to mission design.

Personally i wait for X4. X3 was one of the most amazing space sim/economy games i played and X4 seems to be doing right things. Despite lack of amazing graphics and way less complex systems i will be able to earn shit, build factories and finally create my own fleets and strike groups and wage war across universe where in SC, Elite etc. i will always be some space trucker at best not involved in fate of universe itself.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
That's why SC is better for single player, and DU for MP, because SC will have to be rolling expansions like WoW which is also hand crafted or everything will get stellar pretty fast.

DU will just drop a huge sandbox galaxy and players will be doing stuff - what a basic mmo concept should be.

I think its the biggest mmo ever, is there any other mmo that can render 1200 players at once and everyone on one server?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
yea but they are doing sc 5 years now, DU 1 year and alpha will be playable early next year

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't the real question why anyone would want to render 1050 players?
It's usually better to avoid other people, put 1000 of them in a virtual room all at once and the result cannot be good.
Expect heavy nudity.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The biggest battle in EVE Online I was in was around 1600 players. It was not the biggest one EVE had. Such large scale battles only work if each side is behaving like a proper military force. It can be really unfun just to follow orders or die. Or follow orders and die anyway. Everyone but the people on top of command chain have very little agency. So I don't really get this push to get that many people interacting at the same time.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The biggest battle in EVE Online I was in was around 1600 players. It was not the biggest one EVE had. Such large scale battles only work if each side is behaving like a proper military force. It can be really unfun just to follow orders or die. Or follow orders and die anyway. Everyone but the people on top of command chain have very little agency. So I don't really get this push to get that many people interacting at the same time.

As I said earlier: The people clamoring for these ideas are mainly people who know jack shit about game design, server infrastructure or even simple interactions between people online. They think "more players = betterer" and that's it and get really really upset when you point out any potential problems.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And the thing with space is that you have a whole lot more of... well, space. So even thousands of players can't make it crowded. No meaningful player interactions in space while having congested space stations does not seem like an entertaining mix.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom