Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That video is at least worth 2 tanks and a moon.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
72twrpy.jpg
cringe

Now more than ever I think SQ42 will be a commercial flop.

I hoped that leaning in FPS combat would be in by now and give gun-play a more tactical feel but still same CoD shit all the way.
They are way more behind schedule than everybody thought. If they will be forced by financial reasons to ship a half baked game, it's game over for Roberts and his dream to make "the best spacesim ever" as in the best interactive movie ever.
I even dozed off when seeing that gameplay video. :)
But hey! It's pre-alpha! They written that in big letters at the bottom of the screen so no worry. Mods will fix it ")

And that epic fuckin music at every fuckin corner. But peasants love to be drowned in bombastic shit.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Haven't I read/watched this story somewhere else? Like, five times already?

Nice radiant AI at work.

"Lieutenant"

Maybe they have hired some people from-

"Lieutenant"

Bethesda or--

"Lieutenant"

...God damn it

"Lieutenant"

Also, loved the "Marine" FPS section. Enemies start firing even though the player isn't in the view of any of them. They literally are scripted to start firing.

Then when the player enters the ducts, they literally instantly stop looking for him. The second he enters the duct. Even when they were just rushing in the room a few seconds earlier.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Watched the video now... but man... this was the most boring gameplay ever.

Impressions:

- Performance looks like 5-15fps only. I thought the singleplayer campaign would not suffer the abhorrend performance of the Persistent Universe?
- Pointless dialogue options. Choice is nice and all, but most dialogue "options" could have been avoided altogether.
- Cringy shootouts and takedowns. Wtf??

What I disliked most was the pointless fidelity:

- So the guy in the armory lays a weapon on the table, and when you grab it, a "half" animation plays where the weapon "snaps" to your hand. This looks worse than if the weapon would just disappear from the table and appear in your hand.
- Pressing 3-4 buttons or so just to get out of the ship (power off, engine off, open cover, get out), and each button on a different location in the ship. If you need to do it each and every time... "Nice" the first time, but "cumbersome and annoying" the 2nd time and 3rd time...
- Overall too much precise mouse hover action required overall on buttons, switches, on your arm-computer, on your ship-computer, on tablets, etc. The whole thing seems like an artificially bloated fidelity, but not one that contributes to an enjoyable gameplay experience.

That original very first trailer of Squadron 42 (or was it the Morrow Tour?) in the Kickstarter had a simpler and smoother approach - if I recall correctly. Basically it was 1 button press to enter the ship and 1 button to exit ship. That was perfectly fine.

Also now I have no doubt anymore that while we may get a (mediocre only) SP campaign, Star Citizen will never happen.

Perkel

Arcane
Looks pretty amazing imo. Though this is "vertical slice"

I wonder how they will handle openess of environments. Will they create invisible walls and mission failure when you move outside of pre-scripted path ?
Because like that last part half of that was needless when you could just go around that base which had shutdown power.

I really like interactive elements of cockpit, player ui etc. It looks wonky a bit with half finished animations but when they will get it working right it should be fluid. Framerate was stuttery but later on it worked ok for most part. Imo they have still problems with LOD system. You could see that stutters mostly happened when you moved around and game tried to stream assets. Like when you were first time out of hangar or that old dude called on com after a long while and looks like game had to again load all of his assets.

Biggest thing to me was that it looks more like Descent than space game. Especially that part when they flew between rocks.

Terrible performance, more pointless walking around than a walking sim, and ground combat that a Call of Duty game would be ashamed of. Looks like a real winner.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Because like that last part half of that was needless when you could just go around that base which had shutdown power.

I think that turret from the movie will shoot you down or something if you try a more direct path.
But in overall, of course they will limit the player and not letting him roam freely in single player, either by quantum fuel, turrets or a desertion message followed by game over.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Finally got the Live 3.0 build up and running. Sad to say it is simply not playable right now. Even at low settings at 1080p I got framerates in the single digits. Dropping resolution to the lowest option moderately improved the frames, but it still intermittently stuttered, and the UI test was too blurry to read. I don't know what they're thinking calling this the big release, it's definitely not ready for primetime yet.

Intrigued007

Educated
Is it just me, or does it seem weird that the YouTube video only has 64k~ views and 2k Likes, and the original Twitch.TV video only had 27k viewers? For a major release demo of SQ42 in a game that apparently has nearly two million backers, doesn't really seem like the backers are really interested. Especially since this is the famed "vertical slice" video, touted and hyped for a full year, showing off all the work they've accomplished in 5-6 years.

In regards to the actual demo, it was boring IMO; out of the hour plus of video, only about 15 minutes (which is being generous) held my attention. It was mostly just slowly walking from point A to point B.

The dialogue was so cringe, and the FPS was god awful. You could tell whoever was playing/recording the video was intentionally not trying to move any more than a few degrees at a time to allow the assets to load and prevent the frames from tanking. Additionally, the conversations had this incredibly awkward pause between each line of dialogue, which made it seem really fake. No one pauses for a full second or two after each line of speech.

Of course, this is still "pre-alpha" demo (after 5-6 years lol). So I'm not going to nitpick over things like silly object interactions, how many actions it took just to get out of the ship, and the clunky looking animations.

So ... Beta 4.0 is the next Jesus patch when?

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Finally got the Live 3.0 build up and running. Sad to say it is simply not playable right now. Even at low settings at 1080p I got framerates in the single digits. Dropping resolution to the lowest option moderately improved the frames, but it still intermittently stuttered, and the UI test was too blurry to read. I don't know what they're thinking calling this the big release, it's definitely not ready for primetime yet.

FPS in the single digits? JFC. Will this thing ever be properly optimized?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Fwiw, since then I have played a few sessions where I got somewhat better performance. I teamed up with some friends and we ran a couple missions together. The party system is very lacking - there doesn't seem to be a way to accept missions as a group, there are no team indicators, and even getting into the same server took a few tries. Crashing and glitching out are both common.

I had some fun though. There were some glimmers of a great multiplayer experience in there, if they can ever make the game stable.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron

I don't know, I wouldn't consider virtualizing a virtual control of a spaceship as "omg, best thing ever". This reminds me so much of an apple techdemo years ago, windows being flipped around and such and the crowd went aaah and ooh. Actual functionality be damned, just pull a magic trick.

I don't know, I wouldn't consider virtualizing a virtual control of a spaceship as "omg, best thing ever". This reminds me so much of an apple techdemo years ago, windows being flipped around and such and the crowd went aaah and ooh. Actual functionality be damned, just pull a magic trick.

It makes sense if you are supposed to be able to walk around a ship and fiddle with controls from any position rather than having separate "controlling a pilot in a ship" and "controlling a ship" modes. Someone just neglected to include a rule preventing actions conducted from hundreds of feet away and separated by glass.

But it's certainly not some kind of technical achievement. People oohed and aahed over Doom 3 having in-universe interactable UIs, then no one cared because it's not a big deal.

What would be really impressive is if they made the player model's physical interactions with the environment do things, so you'd attempt to push a button and nothing would happen until the character's real physical finger pushed the button. Then you'd realistically be able to fuck your whole ship up if you accidentally turned around and kicked the stick or pushed a button or something. But it would of course be dumb to actually play even with some kind of VR interface.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom