Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Conspiracy plot twist - the whole drama was pre-arranged behind the scenes:

- Crytek will win at court and CIG must pay millions of moneys back
- CIG declares development stop on Star Citizen "Sorry, we haven't enough moneys anymore. All Crytek's fault"
- CIG is happy to have escaped the Star Citizen scam and angry backers in such a wonderful way.
It is not conspiracy really,more like a smart business decision. Does the game have many fans? From what i see around the internet most people have forgotten that exist.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

- CIG declares development stop on Star Citizen "Sorry, we haven't enough moneys anymore. All Crytek's fault"
- CIG is happy to have escaped the Star Citizen scam and angry backers in such a wonderful way.
It is not conspiracy really,more like a smart business decision. Does the game have many fans? From what i see around the internet most people have forgotten that exist.
herp derp

kXetZz9.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

herp derp

kXetZz9.png
A little bit insecure there mate.
5a465cbc3d0cf55d2606d69bc37a4c14.jpg

herp derp

kXetZz9.png
Why would I be butthurt at you being caught spewing bs and not being able to back up your statements? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

herp derp

kXetZz9.png
Why would I be butthurt at you being caught spewing bs and not being able to back up your statements? :lol:
It was a question not a statement. You would feel butthurt because you most likely have throw a few thousands of dollars at this reputable firm. I too will feel butthurt if i order a nice model prostitute for a thousand bucks and at the door is a toothless midget nigger tranny with stash.

It was a question not a statement.
From what i see around the internet most people have forgotten that exist.
Gosh, must have missed the question mark on that question.
mystery.png

Also, learn to form a sentence, dude. Just a tip.
You would feel butthurt because you most likely have throw a few thousands of dollars at this reputable firm. I too will feel butthurt if i order a nice model prostitute for a thousand bucks and at the door is a toothless midget nigger tranny with stash.
And when did I order said prostitute? Do you have a receipt?

You're assuming that just because I am calling you on your bullshit that I was a SC backer. I wasn't. I just enjoy following the drama and laughing at idiots on both sides.

I'd love it if SC succeeded, don't get me wrong, but you guys that are hyped that it will fail and/or talking out of your asses without any facts to back you up are even cringier than the "Bernie can still win" crowd that think there are no problems with the game.

Based on the new sq42 website this is the minimum requirement for sq42, likely for SC too.

Windows 7 (64bit) with Service Pack 1, Windows 8 (64bit), Windows 10 - Anniversary Update (64bit)
DirectX 11 Graphics Card with 2GB RAM (4GB strongly recommended)
Quad Core CPU
16GB+ RAM
SSD strongly recommended

16gb ram :D

and I though Bioware had declined ingame dialog options.

then again, I'm not sure this was ever supposed to be an RPG, so I guess I can't criticize too harshly.

Boleskine

Arcane
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-09-star-citizen-alpha-3-impressions

Star Citizen, I am disappointed
A space time conundrum.

By Robert Purchese Published 10/01/2018

Star Citizen is a bit like an Instagram account: what you see looks amazing but the reality is hollow. As it stands, at major milestone alpha 3.0, Star Citizen does not convince as a game. But as a picture-postcard-maker - as a demonstration of technology - it's virtually peerless. Standing on top of a canyon on a dusty, windswept planet, looking up at the suns and moons in the sky and knowing you can fly up to them is hair-raisingly cool. Knowing when night comes it's because of the rotations and orbits of those same planets, of those same stars, is an awesome feeling. And even though there might only be a handful of planets to touch down on (for now), they are truly massive, taking probable hours to fly around. It's a simulation of the highest detail and largest proportions.

But once you've seen the eye-popping sights, once you've flown down from space onto a planet and then back up again - once you've seen the beautiful Blade Runner hubs with their rebellious posters on murky walls and flickering neon lights - there's little to do. You can buy fancy-looking guns, you can even buy a great big railgun, which charges up and then very satisfyingly unloads, but there's nothing to kill.

jpg

That's my Mustang Alpha, a Starter Package ship, on the ground.

Likewise, you can buy various suits of armour off mannequins in shops - one of the game's many lovely flourishes of detail - but there's no real need to other than to look cool, other than to pose for screenshots. Most shops don't have any interactive stock and so, like the hubs and the universe around them, they contribute to the feeling of touring a giant Hollywood set: all front and no substance.

There are a handful of missions to run, but they're tepid and boring. One, for instance, is an off-the-books private investigation which, admirably, can go either way depending on the evidence you find. You are to search an eerily quiet, abandoned comms station to get to the truth. It sounds OK, doesn't it? But there's no excitement, just a few computer terminals and panels to interact with. No threat, no danger, just a mission to solve an insurance claim of all things. Then it bugged and I couldn't complete it as intended. It was all so typically Star Citizen.

Even the spaceship dogfights struggled to impress me, owing to a distinct lack of heft from the available weaponry, which feels tinny and machinegun-y rather than thumping and deadly, like a Star Wars laser cannon - and more or less the same as when I last played Star Citizen two years ago.

jpg

And my Mustang Alpha looking like a Transformer while in space, looking down.

But that's OK, right? This is early access and all we expect is a working core, really, with some taster content around it - enough to prove the concept and excite us like PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds did, or any number of other early access games.

I realise that Star Citizen's professions - careers to pursue, such as salvaging, smuggling, bounty hunting and so on - are still to come, like so much else. Besides, this is a sandbox where we're supposed to make our own fun. Forget about all the buckets and spades which aren't there and concentrate on simply enjoying the sand with friends. But the problem is, you can't - you can't enjoy it. And this is the game's biggest crime.

Star Citizen is a game about spaceships - it sells them to players for hundreds of dollars, for crying out loud. These are the creations it revels in and celebrates. You can see it in the wonderful animation each spaceship has for climbing into its cockpit, and you can see it in the way each craft buzzes to life as power courses through it. They're beautiful machines - and for that money, they ought to be. But the game can't keep up with them. What is the point of owning a Lamborghini if you live in a neighbourhood with speed bumps and a 20mph speed limit?

jpg

A friend in a shop in the hard to find hub, Grim Hex.

Simply put, Star Citizen has a frame-rate issue so bad it ruins everything. There are glimpses of 60 frames per second when servers are fresh and populations low, but as soon as people join, the frame-rate plummets again. What it means is that you're unlikely to ever see more than 20 frames per second regardless of graphics settings, regardless of PC (within reason), and usually you'll hover around 15 frames per second.

What good is having a futuristic marvel of a machine if you can't feel the thrill of piercing a planet's atmosphere and roaring along the canyons below, buzzing the proverbial towers? Furthermore, what good are panels to turn things on and off, or exit vehicles, if the choppy frame rate makes it an ordeal targeting them? I was genuinely stuck in the passenger seat of a buggy for this reason - a buggy ride that would have been gawp-inducing if we had witnessed it at anything more than a slideshow. I had one glorious glimpse of 60 frames per second but within 10 minutes the server had reverted to headache-land.

Star Citizen alpha 3.0 was supposed to show the world what this game was all about, to prove the concept - that's what all the delays were in aid of. Why take so long and then shoot yourself in the foot? And we're not even talking massively multiplayer yet - we're talking servers struggling under the strain of 50 people.

It feels petty to slam a game in alpha, in early access, for performance issues. Yet in Star Citizen's mega-profile case it feels so indicative of the story so far: unfulfilled promise(s). 'Trust us,' say Roberts Space Industries, 'we're building something spectacular and it takes time.' But how much more time will it take before what is spectacular actually becomes fun to play? And how much trust is left? When I hear a friend of mine, my Star Citizen tour guide, my expert on hand, who's into the game for hundreds of pounds, talk about reining in Chris Roberts, it makes me wonder.

Star Citizen remains a tantalising prospect, and a controversial one. Perhaps the solutions I am after are right around the corner, mere moments away. Perhaps the core is inches from completion and content will soon be piped in willy-nilly and with joyous abandon, and the dream realised. Or perhaps we will be here a year from now, still stewing over the same issues. I, like many others, was led to believe alpha 3.0 would be the turning point, but what I see is an ever-growing mountain to climb, and my hope wanes.

Star Citizen, I am disappointed.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The tone of that clip doesn't even remotely match the script they used. It'd be like taking that hitler bunker scene and putting subtitles from a comedian's standup act under it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Buahahahahaha,Gothic III was running better on release than this shit. Oh the gorgeous 10 fps :) .
"on release" - there's your difference.
If SC ever sees a release, I would expect it to run well on its recommended machines as well.
By the time it is released we will be owning some PC beasts. By the looks of it,it will take ten more years to be ready for release.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I would expect it to run well on its recommended machines as well.

I bought the alpha (mistake) a long time ago. I am still waiting for this shit to run at a decent rate on my machine, which can handle most game right now.

All the gameplay looks pretty excellent. Landing on a planet - yeah, I want that game. But I'm not sure why they insist on this multiplayer boondoggle. I hate multiplayer anyway. Just keep it single player and have multiplayer dogfight zones. Maybe allow co-op.

What kind of toasters (ie, servers) are they running this thing on to where it slows down with 50 people on board anyway?

edit: or is it the user's internet connection speed? Typical US connection speeds are like 20mbps. Slow as molasses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom