Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's odd CryTek is doing this lawsuit when the very specific clear definition of the contract is being followed.

Drakron

Arcane
It's odd CryTek is doing this lawsuit when the very specific clear definition of the contract is being followed.

Outside then trying to sell Squadron 42 separately, not informing of the changes they made to the engine and then "dropping it" in favor of Lumberyard as in not really since they didt hide too well they were still using CryEngine 3.0 ... besides that they followed the contract.

In other words, shut up Jaesun.

Some financial reports: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/...M0OGFkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

Page 16:

DTS7qImXcAA4M8s.jpg

So, they now have 1.25 times more people and now pay 1.5 times less than before as salaries.
:philosoraptor:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What kind of toasters (ie, servers) are they running this thing on to where it slows down with 50 people on board anyway?

Lumberyard servers are hosted on AWS.
Which come in all sizes and variants of graphics cards, CPUs, etc.
I dealt with AWS servers a lot and they are really good quality - that is, if you do buy the high-end ones (and of course don't focus on the virtual ones for your core simulations).

If there are server problems, I would primarily blame the engine, not the servers.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What? Even my cheap as fuck transition connection is like 100mb. With no data-caps. O.o
I take it you don't live in the US? Last cheap internet connection I had in America was an introductory $35 a month, but only about 20mbps and it ballooned to I think around $50 a month after the first year. Speeds went up in my area though, so my parents told me they pay about $70 a month for 60mbps.

But those speeds are only down. They typically throttle upload speeds due to limit torrents.

Contrast that to the obscenely cheap high-speed rates present in parts of Russia, Eastern Europe and Europe:

VlteZU2.png

(Costs less than the cheapest American plan.)

Perkel

Arcane
If there are server problems, I would primarily blame the engine, not the servers.

CIG outright said that they deployed 3.0 without new multiplayer backend (which was supposed to be one of major features of 3.0) and it is main cause of slowdowns. They don't blame servers.

Deathsquid

Learned
What kind of toasters (ie, servers) are they running this thing on to where it slows down with 50 people on board anyway?

I dealt with AWS servers a lot and they are really good quality - that is, if you do buy the high-end ones (and of course don't focus on the virtual ones for your core simulations).

Yeah, it's the engine. Apparently it just renders fucking EVERYTHING. Things you can't see for blocked LOS? Rendered behind that wall. Things that you can barely see in the distance? Rendered in full because I think they still don't have LOD scaling and the original vision forbids LOD scaling anyway because it's against the "absolute fidelity".

Framerate is also somehow bound to connection quality (I don't fucking know) which only makes things worse. Oh yeah and it's still CryEngine, the world's least power-consuming engine out there.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

Yeah, it's the engine. Apparently it just renders fucking EVERYTHING. Things you can't see for blocked LOS? Rendered behind that wall. Things that you can barely see in the distance? Rendered in full because I think they still don't have LOD scaling and the original vision forbids LOD scaling anyway because it's against the "absolute fidelity".

Framerate is also somehow bound to connection quality (I don't fucking know) which only makes things worse. Oh yeah and it's still CryEngine, the world's least power-consuming engine out there.

That's not quite true. The problem is not that they don't have a graphical LOD system, it's that they need a network LOD system which is completely different. At the moment, the server is currently getting choked up (which is the reason for low framerates) because every player's action, every event that happens is being broadcast to every player across the server regardless of if they are within range (or however they are going to determine the detial).

They provided an update on the system supposed to fix all this yesterday:

On the engine side, we’ve been working on a telemetry system to capture performance stats on a large scale and allow automated processing of the results. This new system will allows us to get a good grasp on the top issues on a daily basis without massive manual effort. Once this is done, we’ll return to the zone system optimizations (parallel updates) mentioned last year.

The network team continued with the range based update optimizations from last year and will then focus on bind culling (the next step in that series of tasks). This is going to be a bigger change, so it’s going to need help from the game code team to address resulting bugs.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/Schedule-report

Deathsquid

Learned

That's not quite true. The problem is not that they don't have a graphical LOD system, it's that they need a network LOD system which is completely different. At the moment, the server is currently getting choked up (which is the reason for low framerates) because every player's action, every event that happens is being broadcast to every player across the server regardless of if they are within range (or however they are going to determine the detial).
I think it was something of a case of both, but I'm no spaceship scientist and didn't look that much further into it. Network system is broadcasting pretty much everything though, yeah, including sounds, which can end up with one player hearing another player's audio at random.

Deathsquid

Learned
Best case scenario would be Crytek winning, only to find out CIG doesn't have any money to pay neither the damages nor the lawyers, and as a result having Crytek pay the lawyers themselves, and promptly run out of whatever money they have left.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I only now noticed that both of the asses are censored.

...but why?
My interpretation of the gif is that the two eating the shit are EA and Ubishit,while cig is pulling crytek trying to get the money. It is the eternal struggle of the poor people fighting over scraps.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Another scripted demo or real? if real......

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom