Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Free Stars: Children of Infinity - upcoming Star Control 2 sequel from Fred Ford's Pistol Shrimp Games - Kickstarter Live

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If Stardock felt they owned everything about Star Control then why weren't they using the original games' aliens in their game? Why the need to require Paul and Fred to hand over their notes, art, etc. related to Star Control and to assign all their rights to Star Control over to Stardock?

I'm pretty sure I read long before this that Stardock even said they didn't have the rights to the original games' aliens or story and they were hoping to work something out with Fred and Paul.

I believe they're aiming to receive the Star Control 1 & 2 intellectual properties as part of a compensation settlement for Paul & Fred's alleged "trademark infringement". They don't claim to own it now, at least not all of it.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did they have even a half-baked reason to believe they actually owned Star Control 3? They’re either very confident or they’re getting suboptimal legal advice if they think it’s a good idea to file a fake/erroneous DMCA takedown notice. Or maybe they just don’t care about the money. That would explain a lot.

Irata

Scholar
I believe they're aiming to receive the Star Control 1 & 2 intellectual properties as part of a compensation settlement for Paul & Fred's alleged "trademark infringement". They don't claim to own it now, at least not all of it.

If you people who Stardock quoted as evidence of confusion keep me from getting a new Fred and Paul game in the Star Control universe I'll...I'll... do absolutely nothing about it. Strange that Stardock is pulling the cart-before-the-horse to trademark names for things they don't own (yet) though.

Anyway, I will be disappointed if a game in the Star Control universe by the original creators isn't made because of Fred & Paul's overzealousness and/or Stardock being dicks.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
No one's going to back down at this point, it'd be like admitting the other side was right. We'll get both games, eventually.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wait... PART 1?!?

cinema.gif

EDIT: Skip to 6:00 to learn how to pronounce "Infogrames".
rating_retarded.png

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Can this topic outdo the Star Citizen one?

Let me add my bit into it. Isn't Brad Wardell the guy that sexually harassed a female coworker or something? Or maybe one of the people under him did. It was a big deal way back...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Let me add my bit into it. Isn't Brad Wardell the guy that sexually harassed a female coworker or something? Or maybe one of the people under him did. It was a big deal way back...

All lies. Wardell was the alleged offender and the case went to the courts, where the judge dismissed it with prejudice, meaning that it can't be brought before the courts ever again.

Just one of several reasons why Ben Kuchera should be kicked in the face, as he was the one who 'broke the story'.

SerratedBiz

Arcane

How is this even relevant to the discussion? Go serve the Kool-aid somewhere else, buddy.

ArchAngel

Arcane

How is this even relevant to the discussion? Go serve the Kool-aid somewhere else, buddy.
How is anything relevant anywhere.. I just remembered this and it seemed to fit the topic well with all the other shit stuff going on.
I didn't know it was resolved or how.

I just wish these two entities would put aside their autism and just focus on their respective games. Before all this legal shit it all looked pretty fucking sensible in a taciturn way. Now its legal shite. I like Stardock, I like Star Control. I just want more SC goddamnit!

Cael

Arcane
Man, I go away on holiday for a few months and more drama.

I don't know the law about it exactly, but I do believe that you can't trademark something that is known to represent something else. This is on top of the standard caveats, which includes every day words, common names and things like that (you can't trademark "John", for example). Therefore, I believe that it may be difficult to trademark anything to do with SC2 if you don't own the IP for it in the first place. You can create things that look a lot like them, but not exactly. Heck, SC2 blatantly copied a lot of stuff (Ur-Quan Dreadnaught, Chmmr Avatar, Earthling Cruiser, Yehat Interceptor, Mrmmhrmm X-Wing, just to name a few) to begin with.

You can't just one day decide to trademark the names and pics of aliens from SC2 just because the IP holders have not done so yet. I don't think the law works that way.

Mind you, I am not surprised that Stardock would try it on. The guy's a shithead jerk and that is exactly the kind of ploy I'd expect him to try.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Weather: Class 7
Tectonics: Class 7
Temperature: 666c
OK, you say, I can made it, I have all InfiMelnorme upgrades...
and then you find yourself in the DOS version of Starflight. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom