Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Control: Origins - Star Control reboot from Stardock

HansDampf

Arcane
The game has been consistently described as an RPG, eg: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...boot-from-stardock.85318/page-15#post-5633971

And the Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/271260/Star_Control_Origins/

Star Control is a space role-playing game
e9ajDWO.png

OxOmqJQ.gif

Cael

Arcane
The game has been consistently described as an RPG, eg: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...boot-from-stardock.85318/page-15#post-5633971

And the Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/271260/Star_Control_Origins/

Star Control is a space role-playing game
Surely it isn't the position of the Codex that the RPG genre is whatever a developer or publisher say it is. :rpgcodex:
It is if you know who to pay off with a free game.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Played for a couple hours and am enjoying it. Game seems a bit easy so far though even on Expert, since your allies give you free ships for cannon fodder and you get free crew at base. I like that there's some kind of time limit on the horizon since the scryve are gradually expanding their way to sol.

Even though the game seems like its totally freeform and open-world, did anyone not go for the squids after the slugs?
What can you tell us about the game being an ar-pee-gee?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played for a couple hours and am enjoying it. Game seems a bit easy so far though even on Expert, since your allies give you free ships for cannon fodder and you get free crew at base. I like that there's some kind of time limit on the horizon since the scryve are gradually expanding their way to sol.

Even though the game seems like its totally freeform and open-world, did anyone not go for the squids after the slugs?

I think nobody here is playing this except you.

Help us oasis789, you're our only hope.

tindrli

Arcane
fuckin mess. colorful planet planets no drama.. boring as hell. empty ground space a lot of driving and bouncing. no crafting what so ever. in old SC we didn't had cool graphics but at least you had that sense of danger and discomfort when landing on some planets.. here.. only pink bears are missing... FFS why they didn't use a Prospector game as an reference for ground missions is beyond me..
i wonder if game will be Moddable in future because if yes it could be a great game someday

tindrli

Arcane
if this game is an rpg then im an alien. but i dont giva fuck about it anyway... crap. i wanted to like this game.... nostalgia is hitting hard. .maybe i just need to play it more

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
On one hand this is Star Control, this should be a "no-brainer* decision and purchase for me, who has been championing the series for 25 years now and even bought a retail copy of Star Control 3 at full price (plus the novel) back in the day.

On the other hand my gut feeling tells me to hold off playing this, and I can't really explain why.

Right now only two things are for certain in regards to this game's release:

# I'm far more interested in buying Breathedge than this game, and that's an Early Access game in the "Early" part of development.

# Star Control is NOT an RPG. Never was, never will be. I'll kick the nearest Melnorme in the eyeball to defend this point.

Note to self: Don't read more of this thread until I eventually get around to playing this game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Screw the fish

Why doesn't game show which systems I've been to already. It's all so barebones

Imo the writing is adorable. Also I already found some side quest, helped some dude and then his brother found me on his shep and joined my fleet.

They should have left clunky controls only for combat though and focused on easy and fun exploration of everything instead.

Overall I'm all up for reading more of game's dialogue but most of gameplay types, be it grinding RUs, traveling on autopilot/clashing with things or combat are not much fun. Someone should have checked Space Rangers, the pilotlittleshep genre actually did have some things going for it, like trade and AI doing shit around the universe and massive group ship on ship combat.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah, even 10$ is kinda stretching it, since you're really just paying for voice acting and some cutscenes compared to older titles.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The amount of grinding in this game is beyond ridiculous, it really puts to shame even the most disgusting Korean MMOs, the whole game feels like 10% cheesy dialogue, 10% wonky combat and 80% tedious resource grinding. They should be ashamed for asking 40$ for this crap.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
On one hand this is Star Control, this should be a "no-brainer* decision and purchase for me, who has been championing the series for 25 years now and even bought a retail copy of Star Control 3 at full price (plus the novel) back in the day.

On the other hand my gut feeling tells me to hold off playing this, and I can't really explain why.
Perhaps these two points have some connection.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
With so many people playing why has no one been able to explain the rpg elements? I'm giving up on getting any information and I'll just assume it is not an rpg at all and is just more lies by lying devs to increase sales because everything can be an rpg and no one questions it anymore.

You'd expect this shit on general gaming sites, but this is supposed to be rpgcodex. If this site doesn't scale to anyone's level its now because its in the negative levels and seems happy there. I wish this site would at least scale up to the level of, "understands basic rpg things."

Cael

Arcane
if this game is an rpg then im an alien. but i dont giva fuck about it anyway... crap. i wanted to like this game.... nostalgia is hitting hard. .maybe i just need to play it more
Just play SC2 again. I am. Fuck this shit by an asshole fraudster.

Cael

Arcane
The amount of grinding in this game is beyond ridiculous, it really puts to shame even the most disgusting Korean MMOs, the whole game feels like 10% cheesy dialogue, 10% wonky combat and 80% tedious resource grinding. They should be ashamed for asking 40$ for this crap.
Ashamed? Please. You already paid the puke $40. He is laughing at you all the way to the bank.

Incredible how people complain after they get defrauded when there are people telling them for months that the guy is a conman and should be avoided like the plague.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
If this were a land RPG it would be like complaining that breaking into every house and stealing a few coppers is boring and repetitive. Yes. That would be. Don’t do it.

Wouldn't a land rpg have strong rpg elements and be an rpg? Just like the space ones?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom