Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Control: Origins - Star Control reboot from Stardock

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Looks like shit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Sounds like shit too.

People can recognize the familiar tones of the Hyperspace track - but it's cut off/changed just at the limit where copyright/trademark sets in.

No hope left for this reboot...unfortunately.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...ins-gameplay-prequel-due-for-release-in-2h17/

A first look at Star Control: Origins gameplay—prequel due for release in 2H17
Stardock founder calls it the biggest game the company has ever done.

SCO_Teasershot-listing-c-800x434.png

Enlarge / A system view, with navigation between planets, and a fleet status? This is looking very Star Control to me!
Stardock

All right, *campers*, there’s some new news lurking on the horizon for Star Control fans eager to find a new *happy town*. This morning, Stardock founder Brad Wardell announced the official name of the company’s upcoming Star Control prequel: Star Control: Origins. Wardell has also offered up the first public gameplay video:

Today’s announcement also gives us a tentative release date and an early price: the game will be coming to Windows and consoles, and the PC release will be in the second half of 2017. For $35 (£30), players can join the studio’s “Founder’s Program” and get access to the closed beta and some additional developer goodies.

The announcement has been a long time coming. Ars first spoke with Wardell about Star Control in the beginning of 2014, about six months after the company acquired the naming rights to the Star Control series from Atari’s bankruptcy fire sale. Since then, Stardock has formed a new studio arm in Maryland and is producing the game in partnership with Oxide Games and Mohawk Games. Wardell is acting as executive producer.

A milieu of new sentients
Star Control: Origins, as its name suggests, will explore the time period around the founding of Earth’s “Star Control” organization. The game starts off 69 years before the events in Star Control 2, shortly after the Androsynth Rebellion. Stardock’s press release explains a bit more of the game’s opening:

The game starts in the year 2086 with the unaware humans receiving a distress call from an alien ship that has crashed on the moon of Triton leading to the formation of Star Control, an international space agency dedicated to protecting the Earth. The player takes on the role of The Captain of Earth’s first interstellar ship whose first mission is to investigate the distress signal.

The decision to go with a prequel rather than a sequel seems at first an odd choice, but it’s the result of the complexities of the Star Control franchise intellectual property. Even though Stardock has the naming and publishing rights to the Star Control franchise, it does not have the rights to use any of the Star Control aliens or story material in the first two games. All of that remains the property of original Star Control creators Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III. Ars reached out to Ford and Reiche for some elaboration, and Reiche responded with this clarifying statement:

Fred and I retain the copyright to all material in Star Control I & II, but we do not own the name "Star Control," which is why our open source project is called, "The Ur-Quan Masters." Stardock purchased the trademark for Star Control as well as the original material in Star Control III, which Fred and I also did not create. Super space-cows? What were they thinking?!

While it’s gratifying to see that Ford and Reiche hated Star Control 3 as much as the rest of us, this means that we won’t see the return of any familiar alien faces in Star Control: Origins—no Chenjesu, no Arilou, and no menacing green Ur-Quan. The company is spinning up all new aliens and an all new story to fill in the gap after the Androsynth rebellion but before the Ur-Quan wars.

As for an in-universe explanation on why those new aliens aren't in the follow-up games, Wardell explains that Star Control might get a little metaphysical. "One of the things we've done withOrigins is make it clear that Star Control 1/2, 3, and Origins each exist in their own game universe. Have you ever read the book Ready Player One?" he asked. "We'd like to build Star Control up to being a multiverse where you start the game and can choose which universe you want to go into. A significant part of our budget has been put into developing tools so that after Origins is released, fans will be able to share their own universes with their own stories, aliens, etc."

And where are Fred and Paul?

tOn the subject of multiverses and the original Star Control creators, they haven’t had any official involvement in Stardock’s project. For the past several years, they’ve been involved in makingSkylanders, the combo video game/collectible figure property that continues to almost literally print money. Though the two haven’t ruled out a return to Star Control one day, Stardock’s project isn’t their project.

I’ve passed e-mails back and forth with the pair a few times over the past couple of years, and I can report that trading e-mails with Paul Reiche III is exactly like talking to a slightly unstable Star Control alien—perhaps a Spathi who’s off his meds or an Umgah in the middle of an awesome joke. Unfortunately, it sounds like we’ll have to keep waiting for a resolution to Star Control 2’snotorious cliffhanger ending. Maybe someday we’ll find out what happened next.

Enlarge
/ Sorry, kids—grandpa's gonna keep holding out on you.
The Ur-Quan Masters

Music, passion, and the real sport of kings
But let’s set aside thoughts of a sequel we don’t have and focus on the prequel we’re getting. Star Control: Origins is by all accounts a passion project for Wardell and Stardock, and the developers are going to great pains to ensure that the title works not just as a good game but as a good Star Control game. Of particular interest is the involvement of Finnish composer Riku Nuottajärvi, who was responsible for much of Star Control 2’s iconic .MOD music score. The music in the above embedded video was written by Nuottajärvi, and he’ll be contributing more music to the finished game.

More to the point, Wardell also assures me that the gameplay and storytelling style of Star Control 2 will be respected and mirrored in the new game—something that was sorely absent in Star Control 3. The old Star Control 2 is one of the finest examples of a “space exploration-adventure” sim, a genre that has been tragically underserved for more than two decades. Although modern titles like the Mass Effect series take some of their inspiration from the genre, the holy gaming trinity of Starflight, Starflight 2, and Star Control 2 stands alone, with no modern games quite managing to emulate that same mixture of beautifully crafted storytelling in a massive, open-space universe.

Enlarge
/ PEW PEW PEW! Crowding around the keyboard and getting your fleets on for some head-to-head combat against a friend was a highlight of the earlier games.
The Ur-Quan Masters

Star Control: Origins aims squarely at that place, but it also includes another Star Control staple: space melee combat. Arguably one of the most memorable features of the series, the previous games’ melee and “super melee” functions let players pick ships and face off against each other in heads-up combat on the same computer, with one player occupying the left half of the keyboard and the other player on the right. Although Star Control 2 veterans might remember Frungy as the sport of kings, the series' melee mode sucked down hours and hours of my life. Competitive Star Control melee let me imagine myself as a world-class video game athlete years before pro gaming was a thing.

Origins will continue the grand Star Control melee tradition and will also add netplay. "We intend to make Super Melee a pretty big part of the game from a multiplayer point of view," Wardell told Ars. "It'll be an expansion on what was in Star Control 2, except we would like to support more sophisticated battle arenas and up to 8 players. We picture there being a lot of different modes for Super Melee, ranging from classic to Dota-style super melee."

Release dates and early access
As mentioned above, Wardell is targeting the second half of 2017 for the PC release of the game, with a console release to follow. A final price hasn’t been announced, but for $35 (£30), interested gamers can join phase two of Stardock’s Founder’s program, which gets early access to the game’s beta, along with “mod tools, private journals and more.”

The first thing members of the Founder’s program will have access to is the multiplayer version of Super Melee, the head-to-head space combat portion of the game. Wardell indicated that Super Melee is planned for the fall of 2016, and more early access pieces will follow after that.

"This will be, by far, the biggest game we've ever done," said Wardell. "It has been a challenge to make sure this feels like a Star Control game. If it weren't for Paul and Fred, I probably wouldn't have become a game developer in the first place," he continued. "So it means a great deal to me personally that we make something that lives up to their standards. A lot of people forget that Paul and Fred didn't just do Star Control 1/2. They also made Archon, Mail Order Monsters, and of course Skylanders. They may be the greatest game designers in history."

Last edited:

ColCol

Arcane
Procedural generation and none of the original race I hear. Not a good start.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heh it's pretty obvious that most of Star Control 2's map was procedurally generated too though. I don't think Paul and Fred had time to go and manually populate hundreds and hundreds of planets. The difference is they only did it once and baked that into the game.

ColCol

Arcane
True. True. I'm letting my replays of star control cloud my judgment.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The curse starts I guess. The gameplay video is blocked. Can't be watched hehe.

"Blocked on copyright grounds"

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
The curse starts I guess. The gameplay video is blocked. Can't be watched hehe.

"Blocked on copyright grounds"
Ok. What connection CondeNast has to Star Control -ip?

edit.
Is it the bloody Ars technica article? :lol:
The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast.

Mozg

Arcane
I hate the corny little Super Mario Galaxy planet. I realize that the old rectangle planets weren't exactly serious sims, but being that abstract at least let you fill it in with your own preconceptions about space.

The mythic attraction of space is that it's real fuggin huge

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is that even gameplay? Look very pre-rendered to me.

Or gameplay-tease meaning they are teasing what the gameplay could look like?

hpstg

Savant
Is that even gameplay? Look very pre-rendered to me.

Or gameplay-tease meaning they are teasing what the gameplay could look like?
It's most likely a gameplay teaser, but the graphics are definitely in-engine with good amounts of temporal AA applied. This type of game would be a cakewalk for the Nitrous engine. It will be a DX11 game because it's not as draw call/CPU heavy as Ashes of the Singularity (which acted as Stardock's engine-fund). If nothing else, expect performance to be good even with five year old GPUs.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
What I basically get from this is that this is a space game that happens to have the same name as Star Control but for the rest barely has anything in common with that franchise.
I never played the original games but I know enough details about its background to recognize some of the major differences.

Couldn't this game have been released under its own name with perhaps the text that it is inspired by Star Control?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Couldn't this game have been released under its own name with perhaps the text that it is inspired by Star Control?

No. Stardock bought the license with the obvious intention of trying to revive the franchise. However, in their utter stupidity they're doing the same mistake as Accolade did 20 years ago - trying to distance themselves from the world that Toys for Bob created, instead of trying to make more of it. What's worse, they're doing it far too late. 10 years ago they might have had a chance as the Ur-Quan Masters release was still a thing back then.

And if you don't have the Toys for Bob "magic" involved...then why bother making a Star Control clone in the first place? Just make your own game. But it's too late for Stardock now...

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
No. Stardock bought the license with the obvious intention of trying to revive the franchise. However, in their utter stupidity they're doing the same mistake as Accolade did 20 years ago - trying to distance themselves from the world that Toys for Bob created, instead of trying to make more of it. What's worse, they're doing it far too late. 10 years ago they might have had a chance as the Ur-Quan Masters release was still a thing back then.

And if you don't have the Toys for Bob "magic" involved...then why bother making a Star Control clone in the first place? Just make your own game. But it's too late for Stardock now...

From what i gather from reading topic at the Neogaf, Stardock bought rights to the name but the rights to all the content (name of alien races, worlds etc.) are still with the original creators. The only exception is the content from the Star Control 3, which Stardock could use freely.

Here it is (Arstechnica article):

Fred and I retain the copyright to all material in Star Control I & II, but we do not own the name "Star Control," which is why our open source project is called, "The Ur-Quan Masters." Stardock purchased the trademark for Star Control as well as the original material in Star Control III, which Fred and I also did not create. Super space-cows? What were they thinking?!

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Exactly. Which is why this game will suck donkey balls. It's like when they decided to start calling those shitty Korean plastic cars "Chevrolet".

Don't worry guys no one will notice, we have the same name. Who cares about content, amirite?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Looks like pre-rendered garbage, without any real gameplay.

And they clearly have no idea of what made Star Control great when they tease their game with a generic-looking alien that speaks cliches in plain English.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
What's pre-rendered looking about it? I thought pre-rendered scenes were supposed to look unrealistically good. It looks like a typical lowish budget 3D game to me.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What's pre-rendered looking about it? I thought pre-rendered scenes were supposed to look unrealistically good. It looks like a typical lowish budget 3D game to me.
Do you look at that and feel like you're seeing actual gameplay?

The way he went from the galaxy map to the planet scan & landed on the planet seamlessly, then explored the entire planet in like 5 seconds? Which has NOTHING interesting to offer? Then there's stuff like terrain no way that probe will navigate through, the dark side of the planet (and the vehicle headlights).... it all looks like someone doing a concept video, a "wouldn't it look cool if..." promo, without any thought on how gameplay will actually work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom