Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars 1313 announced

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, if it's as good as "Binary Domain" at popping robots - or droids - then i'll buy it on Steam at 75 % discount.

Tytus

Arcane
Star Wars 1313 put on ice?

Those stupid fucks who have all the money in the world just can't ever get anything done right.

Disney said it wants to focus more on mobile titles and not big AAA games. Apparently we have a first victim of that policy. Oh well.

In the latest episode of the Clone Wars action took place on level 1312 I felt they were making some reference or a possible tie in. But it seems I was wrong.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Don't give them site hits

It's not unusual for a newly-revealed video game to disappear for eight months. It's not weird to be amazed by a game and then neither see nor hear anything about it for a while.
The silence around Star Wars 1313, LucasArts' seemingly next-gen game that wowed onlookers at last June's E3 show, is nevertheless unusual. The game's disappearance, our sources say, has hidden the latest in some tumultuous turns in the game's development—turns that, frustratingly, cloud the future of what could be an amazing game.
Three unrelated sources familiar with game development at LucasArts have all told us that development on the game has been frozen or put on hold since the Disney company's November acquisition of Star Wars creator George Lucas' media empire. That freeze has caused a game that was slated for a late 2013 release on next-gen platforms to potentially miss this year's E3 and to slide into next year.
LucasArts won't talk about the status of 1313, other than to assure us, when we asked, that it's not cancelled. "LucasArts has been working diligently to take advantage of the tremendous opportunities that the new Star Wars movies present," a company spokesperson told us, when we inquired about the status of the game. "Star Wars 1313 continues production."

We don't need Bothan spies to tell us that 1313 was shaping up to at the very least look amazing. But we've heard from our sources that there was and is a lot more to be excited about this game than its next-gen lighting tech. Our sources are not authorized to speak on the record about new games like 1313, but they have proven reliable about a range of gaming industry topics in the past.
The game was conceived in 2009, we've been told privately, as a tie-in to a planned live-action Star Wars TV show. The show was set to take place between the prequel Star Wars trilogy and the classic one, as was the game. The game was called Underworld, according to one of our sources, and was, like the show, going to be for an adult audience. The 1313 title, after all, refers to the seedy underworld on the planet Coruscant, where crime, violence, drugs and other seedier elements exist. That underworld would be the setting for the show and the game.
In what will surely drive fans of great Star Wars games a bit mad, Underworld/1313 was, we're told, originally going to be an open-world role-playing game similar to the beloved BioWare title Knights of the Old Republic but with episodic character updates delivered regularly over DLC. Story arcs would go to some dark places, touching on terrorism, the dealings of crime families and prostitution.
We're told that the game was scaled back in 2010 after budgetary concerns put the TV show on hold. The game was re-written with a new story that was disconnected from the TV-show material. And this is where what our sources say gets even more interesting. LucasArts supposedly was set to reinvent itself in 2011 under then-studio-president Paul Meegan, attempting to make Star Wars-style games in popular genres. There would be a Star Wars riff on FarmVille and a Call of Duty-style first-person shooter codenamed Trigger. 1313 was switched from codename Underworld to codename Hive and given platforming elements, similar to Sony's hit series Uncharted. A LucasArts rep declined to comment about any of this.
1313 was, we're told, originally going to be an open-world role-playing game similar to the beloved BioWare title Knights of the Old Republic.
Development on the game began to proceed quite well going into either 2011 or 2012 when George Lucas himself apparently saw the game. One source mentions that Lucas "loved" the game and encouraged the developers to weave stories and characters from the TV scripts. The game's storylines would answer such questions as "Who is Boba Fett?", "Why was Han working for Jabba?" and "Who were the Bothan spies?" Lucas' requests were not to be ignored, that source says, leaving the developers of the re-named 1313 with a game that had backing from the man in charge but without a concrete story or characters. A new story was still in the works when the game was shown at E3 2012.
The game dazzled at E3 and then, as any observers have noticed, went dark.
One likely venue for 1313's re-emergence was last week's PlayStation 4 event. There, finally, LucasArts could stop being coy and admit the game was next-gen. But 1313 was not shown at Sony's PS4 event, though LucasArts was listed as a developer for the Holiday 2013 console.
For weeks we've heard from multiple sources that the Disney purchase of LucasFilm (which includes LucasArts) has reoriented the company's gaming division. The focus is on the new trilogy, not on material that is unrelated to the planned JJ Abrams-directed Star Wars: Episode VII. 1313's developers may still be fervently plugging away, for all we know. As LucasArts says, the game "continues production." But it sounds from our sources like it's not currently moving forward in any official capacity.
Gamers routinely root for whichever game might be the next great Star Wars adventure. Sometimes, they're left with the disappointment of a bad game or a cancelled game. Sure, they can't all be Rogue Squadrons and X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighters and KOTORs. But after the debacle of last spring's clunky Kinect Star Wars and the oddly skimpy The Force Unleashed II before it—or even the scuttled Battlefront III1313 restored hope of something terrific to play in the Star Wars universe.
Brimming with potential, 1313 is not a game Star Wars fans would want to see left behind. It seems that, if you want this game to be made, now would be a good time to let Disney know.
As we find out more, we'll let you know.
UPDATE: Here's one other bit of odd 1313 news for you..
Last week's episode of the animated series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, was set in... the same location as the game, level 1313 underworld on the planet Coruscant. See for yourself on the official StarWars.com slideshow for the episode. Specifically, slide... 13:

A tease? A vestige of some part of this saga that is no longer planned? We know as much as you do.

Tagaziel

Scholar
Let me be random and say that the cosplay on page 1 redeems all things cosplay. And I'm not saying that because of the lack of any underwear.

Star Wars sexual fantasies aside, Republic Commando and KOTOR2 still stand as the best "dark and mature" titles in the franchise. Buzzword blockbusters aren't going to undermine them any time soon.

Tytus

Arcane
And yet we never got Imperial Commando or Kotor 3. A fact that hurst me to this day.

Instead there's Force Unleashed and Republic Heroes (Clone Wars) games. *shudders*

LucasArts had some stupid ideas oni it's own. Disney can only be dumber.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Republic Commandos ended with a cliffhanger - I'm so disappoint I never get to see Order 66 from the eyes of those clone troopers that killed every single one of those smug Jedis.

Tytus

Arcane
Republic Commando was fucking awful.

If they have to make a shooter, then it ought to be Dark Forces III.

I liked it. Especially that the three chapters the game had were drastically different from each other in terms of enviorements, hazards, enemies, level design etc. Also team banter was enjoyable. And no Jedi. The no Jedi thing was the best part of the game.

Borelli

Arcane
1313 was, we're told, originally going to be an open-world role-playing game similar to the beloved BioWare title Knights of the Old Republic but with episodic character updates delivered regularly over DLC. Story arcs would go to some dark places, touching on terrorism, the dealings of crime families and prostitution.

From open-world RPG to linear cover shooter... good to see you having some ambition LucasArts.:M

There would be a Star Wars riff on FarmVille and a Call of Duty-style first-person shooter codenamed Trigger.

Star Wars rip off on FARMVILLE?!?! Wait WHAT?

1313 was switched from codename Underworld to codename Hive and given platforming elements, similar to Sony's hit series Uncharted. A LucasArts rep declined to comment about any of this.

They even admit ripping off Uncharted. Creativity left - zero. Stay classy LucasArts.

Tytus

Arcane
1313 was, we're told, originally going to be an open-world role-playing game similar to the beloved BioWare title Knights of the Old Republic but with episodic character updates delivered regularly over DLC. Story arcs would go to some dark places, touching on terrorism, the dealings of crime families and prostitution.

From open-world RPG to linear cover shooter... good to see you having some ambition LucasArts.:M

There would be a Star Wars riff on FarmVille and a Call of Duty-style first-person shooter codenamed Trigger.

Star Wars rip off on FARMVILLE?!?! Wait WHAT?

1313 was switched from codename Underworld to codename Hive and given platforming elements, similar to Sony's hit series Uncharted. A LucasArts rep declined to comment about any of this.

They even admit ripping off Uncharted. Creativity left - zero. Stay classy LucasArts.

Regarding the Uncharted connection - they own Indiana Jones, so I think they're still on top with that ripping thing. :troll:

Ermm

Erudite
There should be an entirely specific Star Wars media where events would only take place on Coruscant.

Tytus

Arcane
There should be an entirely specific Star Wars media where events would only take place on Coruscant.

That would be great, but I don't think Coruscant is popular enough. They would quicker make a series that takes on Tatooine - a planet that mainstream knows really well - rather than Coruscant.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The no Jedi thing was the best part of the game.

There's an easter egg on the ghost ship where you find a dead guy with a lightsabre, to which 38 says 'A civilised weapon for a more civilised time, huh? Guess times have changed' :M

Tytus

Arcane
The no Jedi thing was the best part of the game.

There's an easter egg on the ghost ship where you find a dead guy with a lightsabre, to which 38 says 'A civilised weapon for a more civilised time, huh? Guess times have changed' :M

Yeah I remember that. It's even more awesome when you realize that the Trandoshans you're fighting on the Acclamator used projectile weapons instead of energy weapons. So the Jedi couldn't deflect the attacks with his lightsaber.

Ermm

Erudite

That would be great, but I don't think Coruscant is popular enough. They would quicker make a series that takes on Tatooine - a planet that mainstream knows really well - rather than Coruscant.

Well, stranger things have happened.

On a long term TV series, Coruscant would be a better choice.

Tytus

Arcane
Perhaps they're just re-purposing the setting for the Star Wars VII movie. And maybe, just maybe they go back to an open-world RPG with Obsidian as prime developer, and LucasShit as support developer.

Obsidian developed Star Wars game? Damnit, don't get my hopes up.

But hey it might happen. Repurposing a title is nothing new for them. Force Unleashed back when the pre-production started was being advertised as a Darth Vader game. There even were concept arts suggesting that the player (as Darth Vader) will be able to hire bounty hunters. Unfortunetly the title devolved into the thing we better not speak of.

Tytus

Arcane

Well, stranger things have happened.

On a long term TV series, Coruscant would be a better choice.

I agree with you completely. There was a series of books called Coruscant Nights about a group of Jedi that survived Order 66 and were hiding on the lower levels of Coruscant. I would really like to see something like that. Especially if Vader was one of the antagonists. But not the nerfed shit they tend to turn him into to make the main characters looks good. Like in Force Unleashed, where he got hit with the Worf Effect so hard that Gollum could take him.

Ermm

Erudite
Well, since they said that TV series would focus on underbelly of Star Wars, then it would make more sense to set it on Coruscant.

Tytus

Arcane
Well, since they said that TV series would focus on underbelly of Star Wars, then it would make more sense to set it on Coruscant.

The TV series wasn't able to get off the ground even when Lucas was in charge and no new episodes were planned. Now it's probably entirely dead since Disney won't want to have a life action series on TV that could threaten new movies (I know it doesn't make much sense, but this is how corparate thinks. 8th season of TNG was cancelled cause they were afraid people won't go to see a TNG movie)

Ermm

Erudite
I know the series are dead in the water right now, kinda. Actually, I don't see situation right now being worse than before.

Disney's has not said that it's cancelled. Sure, that's not anything much to hold on.
TV show also would have completely different characters, at least back then, and even if main premise would change, I can't see the TV show having main characters from movies. Maybe at the very best a glorified guest episode or cameo.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://twitter.com/ToddStashwick/status/571471698068836352/photo/1

B-5Gdy_UwAAAwkz.jpg

This probably doesn't come as a big surprise, but continuing 1313 would simply make sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom