Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Battlefront

deuxhero

Arcane
Googled it because curious

Ok, so they existed, but were rare (3 in 9216) enough to explain why we never saw any before. Bonus points because EA doesn't even have to make a separate model for them. Carry on.

That's not all! The front of Hoth was Vader's personal 501st legion, which was ALL clone. That's even referenced (though hardly exclusive to, it's in promotional material for episode 3, not just stuff that's no longer canon) in Battlefront II.

Caim

Arcane
The story mode for Battlefront II was pretty nice. It was minimalistic, not overly bombastic or distracting and had some interesting things to talk about (how does the 501st react to attacking the Jedi Temple or having a lot of their buddies blown up on board the Death Star?), and the ending was rather poignant.

Divinity: Original Sin
That's not all! The front of Hoth was Vader's personal 501st legion, which was ALL clone. That's even referenced (though hardly exclusive to, it's in promotional material for episode 3, not just stuff that's no longer canon) in Battlefront II.

Clones of blacks, asians, latinos.

Dexter

Arcane
Okay what the fuck. Why the fuss with Y-wings and AT-ATs? Why not just give the Empire the walkers, the Rebels some Snowspeeders and let them go at it?
This is possible, probably the best way to take one down too, I'm guessing the map at the beginning as nobody has any idea what to do is imbalanced for Imperials, but as more people know what to do it'll be imba the other way around and people will have to actively protect the things:
nuLjcUT.gif

Anyway, I played the Beta for a while and while the Battlefield 3 one made me want to Pre-Order that shit like yesterday (despite being somewhat dumbed down), this didn't do it at all for me.

- Vehicles and aircraft are kinda floaty and shit (some like the AT-AT come with 60 second timers, others die pretty fast)
- Powerups instead of hangar or airfield is stupid, it all feels very arcade like you're playing a pinball game instead of a giant battle
- Small 20v20 maps instead of epic 64v64 battles on large maps
- The objectives seem stupid, gotta run and activate the same shit all the time
- There's barely any destructability in comparison to the recent Battlefields
- No class system that would require different classes like Engineers, Assault, Medics, Recon etc. and would give the game more depth. From what I've seen most people run around with the same weapon loadout
- Unlockable weapons so far are boring/meh, no heavy weapons class or sniper class, just powerups/pickups like fire-once rocket launchers or cooldown snipers
- You can randomly die a lot faster and often do so on spawn or without even seeing any enemy - often from just 1-2 shots because there doesn't seem to be a base/no-go zone, and everything is always open as fuck
- I didn't generally see much in the way of tactics or squad play possible like in Battlefield.

They should've made another Jedi Knight or an actual Battlefield "Reskin" instead of this thing, or at least another Republic Commando.

Last edited:

omega21

Arcane
Nah, Vader's Fist were all pure-blood Django Fett, he would have accepted no less.

Other legions did get new (inferior11!) genestock, but nothing but the best for Vader IIRC.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The stormtroopers are supposed to be elite badasses but they're usually portrayed as utterly incompetent in the movies and can't aim for shit.

omega21

Arcane
I guess it's easier to build up an "elite badass" image in books after the fact. Also it was probably decided to go for the funny angle and have them get beaten up by Ewoks I imagine.

There are plenty of in-universe explanations for their shitty performance though, eg. being told to let the Rebels get away from the Death Star easy...

Cadmus

Arcane
I really used to like shooters, you know, Soldier of Fortune, Quake 3, Jedi Knight, the first 2 Battlefronts even, Counter Strike...
Now when I think of playing them again, I don't even know what to play that doesn't look like total shit for children.

Caim

Arcane
I really used to like shooters, you know, Soldier of Fortune, Quake 3, Jedi Knight, the first 2 Battlefronts even, Counter Strike...
Now when I think of playing them again, I don't even know what to play that doesn't look like total shit for children.
Jedi Outcast and its sequel Jedi Academy still are the best that lightsaber combat has ever been done, disregarding all that motion crap stuff and the trite that is The Force Unleashed.

Cadmus

Arcane
Jedi Outcast and its sequel Jedi Academy still are the best that lightsaber combat has ever been done, disregarding all that motion crap stuff and the trite that is The Force Unleashed.
That would be Movie Battles 2, the best of the best.

chotread

Educated
No matter how hard they tried, DICE's incompetent developers never mamaged to copy the gunplay from COD... sad story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom