Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Diablo169

Arcane
Doesn't everyone in the game already get a fucking STARSHIP? Unless this is going to be like Lost Galaxies, which is blatently isnt. Then this is the height of pointlessness.

Angthoron

Arcane
Maybe if this was there at launch, they'd have gone F2P three months later than they had.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I wonder if they'll sell housing or include in a patch. It's already known they have two expansions planned for 2014 similar to Galactic Starfighter and Rise of the Hutt Cartel in size.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I get why an MMO would include player housing (it'd be pretty easy to implement), but I'm just not sure if it's something players really want. I mean, WoW survived for 10 years without player housing, and anyway it's not exactly a novel feature at this point. I played a bunch of those shitty F2P MMOs and pretty much all of them had player housing in one form or another, and many of them didn't even require you to pay anything for a house (knowing TOR's F2P model you'll probably have to pay $5 per character for player housing or something).

I wonder if they'll sell housing or include in a patch. It's already known they have two expansions planned for 2014 similar to Galactic Starfighter and Rise of the Hutt Cartel in size.
Did the starfighter expansion include any actual content (as in, dungeons or whatever) or was it just more rail shooting segments? My theory is that they can't afford to produce any real content because of voice acting costs - they'd have to record branching dialog for 8 classes and two genders for anything they add to the game, and with the F2P model developers tend to abandon producing content for subscribers and instead focus on cheap content to entice F2P players to spend real money on the game - things like alternate costumes, vanity mounts, etc. Or something like player housing, which could be a goldmine in they made a bunch of vanity items for houses and monetized them.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Starfighter is the only halfway decent gameplay in the game right now. It's PvP space shooting without rails and with plenty of different ship classes. Most of the enjoyment comes from the fact that 90% of the playerbase can't actually fly properly, so you can rack up ridiculous kill counts. Still much worse than any dedicated PvP space game of course.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't get why these mmo devs don't just use their fucking heads for once.

Here's what you do:

-Generate big piece of terrain (for ToR it'd be a big planet surface)
-Put in lots of scenery, and most importantly player bases.
-Allow pvp everywhere in this area, make bases capturable.
-Create some mechanics around capturing all this stuff, resources, npc soldiers, rep or something.

There ya go. Keeps the players happy and busy for months.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I get why an MMO would include player housing (it'd be pretty easy to implement), but I'm just not sure if it's something players really want. I mean, WoW survived for 10 years without player housing, and anyway it's not exactly a novel feature at this point. I played a bunch of those shitty F2P MMOs and pretty much all of them had player housing in one form or another, and many of them didn't even require you to pay anything for a house (knowing TOR's F2P model you'll probably have to pay $5 per character for player housing or something).

Did the starfighter expansion include any actual content (as in, dungeons or whatever) or was it just more rail shooting segments? My theory is that they can't afford to produce any real content because of voice acting costs - they'd have to record branching dialog for 8 classes and two genders for anything they add to the game, and with the F2P model developers tend to abandon producing content for subscribers and instead focus on cheap content to entice F2P players to spend real money on the game - things like alternate costumes, vanity mounts, etc. Or something like player housing, which could be a goldmine in they made a bunch of vanity items for houses and monetized them.

I imagine a lot of players think they want housing, but they only want it as a feature in their favorite MMO and not something that really adds to the game. If housing in TOR works the way typical housing works you'll probably have some kind of "teleport spell" to get there faster which people will use to circumvent horrendous world structure and half a dozen loading screens you need to go through to get anywhere. Maybe they'll surprise everyone, who knows.

GSF's main addition as an expansion was the inclusion of a new space PvP mode and accompanying things like microtransaction ship skins, etc. It didn't really add anything else to the game proper. And Bioware gave up on class stories a LONG time ago, probably right after launch when they realized that yes, voice acting for eight classes and two genders does indeed cost a metric ton of money. All story content since launch has pretty much been faction-wide with as much sharing as possible to minimize costs and most of other content boils down to reputation grinds with daily caps.

Lhynn

Arcane
I have yet to try TOR but then I'm reminded that it's just another timewasting MMO.
From what ive seen, its actually not, theres decent writing at the start of the game, unno how good it is after that because im not paying for a game that forces me to pay2enjoy.

J1M

Arcane
Yes, players are retarded. Player housing is something that is easy to ask for because it feels like something you would want. (Who doesn't want to own a house in real life?) Functionally, it is not much different from a doll house that acts as a bank.

Wow players cheered when reforging stats on gear was announced. They cheered more when it was announced that reforging was being removed. :lol:

eremita

Savant
About those boring side quests... Too bad they made those F2P restrictions on PVP content. Back in the day, you could be leveling through Warzones/Space Combat missions to get the desired level and then just progress through the main story-line. As a subscriber, you just had overall more options to make that game much less tedious...

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
F2P players can level through Starfighter PvP now. It was really a pretty good expansion, but the game itself is just horrible.

if you want pew pew there's star conflict, allegiance or eternal silence.
no need to suffer through tor.

In this thread we learn that people in the darkest depths of WoW addiction are not good judges of a future mmorpg's success.*

*Sure, we might at first expect the guy's bias would go the other way, and that as a WoW fanboy he's going be biased towards WoW. But note I said 'addiction', not 'fanboy'. Give an addict who is just going through the motions of staving off withdrawals each day a whole new type of crack, and WOW OMG IT'S LIKE THE VERY FIRST TIME I TRIED THE OLD CRACK! This new one must be WAY better!!!

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The notion of player housing is pretty silly, given how everyone already has a personal starship thrice the size of the Millennium Falcon, with the possibility of buying a "teleport spell" which will bring you there, and buying all sorts of other crap needed (simple vendor, auction terminal, mailbox). The only downside is that you can invite only 3 other people at a time there. And I guess you won't be able to allow more into this house thing either.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The game was quite fun while you played it as a single player kotor crpg. I had a genuine good time leveling my deranged cackling sith sorcerer. It's just that Bioware couldn't keep up with the class story content and scrapped it altogether later, in favor of more general questing... hint: having voice overs for everything is shit for content production schedules and costs.

Lhynn

Arcane
The game was quite fun while you played it as a single player kotor crpg. I had a genuine good time leveling my deranged cackling sith sorcerer. It's just that Bioware couldn't keep up with the class story content and scrapped it altogether later, in favor of more general questing... hint: having voice overs for everything is shit for content production schedules and costs.
They knew that, they were just expecting to be able to afford it because they thought every mmo player, star wars fan and bioware fag would be throwing them money so hard that theyd have to use full body armor to be able to get tru the day.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They knew that, they were just expecting to be able to afford it because they thought every mmo player, star wars fan and bioware fag would be throwing them money so hard that theyd have to use full body armor to be able to get tru the day.

I'm seeing the same problem with TESO, everything is voiced and Zenimax being even more penny counting obsessed than EA will not look kindly into the production costs of maintaining the pace of content production these mmo beasts consume. They probably have their first year of updates already lined up, but if the cash cow doesn't milk as expected, im seeing content releases drying up eventually to SWTOR levels of mediocrity.

anus_pounder

Arcane

In all honesty, I 'finished' the game twice. It was fun at times, I admit. Absolutely not worth paying for though. Which is why I was only subscribed for half a year in total. :dance:

Kem0sabe

Arcane

In all honesty, I 'finished' the game twice. It was fun at times, I admit. Absolutely not worth paying for though. Which is why I was only subscribed for half a year in total. :dance:

Yeah, i tried the free trial that added sub status to your account, to level up a new class, but i didnt enjoy the experience all over again, once was more than enough. In the end it was worth the money, as was GW2, thats all you can ask from these things.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
You know, things are different if you have people to play with. Of course that does nothing to defend the game itself, but on the other hand I believe an MMO, of all things, can be forgiven for relying on its multiplayer component. And since the monthly subscription equals to what, three beers...

Kem0sabe

Arcane
You know, things are different if you have people to play with. Of course that does nothing to defend the game itself, but on the other hand I believe an MMO, of all things, can be forgiven for relying on its multiplayer component. And since the monthly subscription equals to what, three beers...

thats a bit of the reasoning behind me buying ESO, me and my brother were jogging last night and we decided to rekindle or WoW time buy buying ESO and leveling up for a bit there and having some fun. As hes military and has a lot of free time and i have enough time myself (finally) to enjoy an mmo, we will play for at least the free month.

anus_pounder

Arcane

thats a bit of the reasoning behind me buying ESO, me and my brother were jogging last night and we decided to rekindle or WoW time buy buying ESO and leveling up for a bit there and having some fun. As hes military and has a lot of free time and i have enough time myself (finally) to enjoy an mmo, we will play for at least the free month.

thats a bit of the reasoning behind me buying ESO

reasoning behind me buying ESO

buying ESO

:what:

Kem0sabe

Arcane

thats a bit of the reasoning behind me buying ESO

reasoning behind me buying ESO

buying ESO

:what:

I told him i would get no end of abuse from the codex lol. He said: "those guys you talk online about rpg's", i said "the same"...

"fuck the mainlanders" was his response. :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom