Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, at least TOR was the last of the subscription based WoW clones. At least now when the F2P boom dries up we might see some new MMOs that actually try to be different than WoW.

subotaiy

Cipher
I would not count on it, Wildstar is also sub-based and pretty much WoW, the action-combat variant.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
:rage: will publishers just learn their fucking lesson and stop trying to copy WoW already!

set

Cipher
I can totally see sub mmos coming back in full force when WoW goes f2p -- the question is whether it will ever.

Drakron

Arcane
I can totally see sub mmos coming back in full force when WoW goes f2p -- the question is whether it will ever.

It wount.

WoW have a stable population that been playing it for years, WoW survives because they invested too much time to being able to leave ... this is why WoW killers failed, people eventually returned back to WoW.

Going F2P would not change WoW demographics that much but it would have to change the entire game basic design and WoW is too bloated for them to even consider it.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The Sunk Cost Fallacy is a powerful thing, so WoW isn't going f2p anytime soon. Still, it's just a matter of time before all the WoWtards have coronaries, and maybe then that fucking game will go away forever.

Delterius

Arcane
Runescape, EverQuest and even Tibia are still alive and WoW won't die either. At worst, it might become a shadow of its former self when a new kind of MMO take over the world (like EverQuest, which WoW is a refined version of).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Since the only good part this game has is the story and first run-through they should really make some minor changes and sell it as a singleplayer game. Can't imagine that would take an incredible amount of work.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

There is a market for sub based MMOs, problem is that there is no good mmos out there that justify monthly subscription.

set

Cipher
Since the only good part this game has is the story and first run-through they should really make some minor changes and sell it as a singleplayer game. Can't imagine that would take an incredible amount of work.

The "minor changes" would be: merge serverside and clientside code into one client. Yeah that sure sounds easy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

The "minor changes" would be: merge serverside and clientside code into one client. Yeah that sure sounds easy.

I'm not a tech guy, sorry. All I know is the whole game is easy to solo already, so they wouldn't have to change much on the gameplay front. I doubt it will ever happen mind you, I'm just saying that's what they SHOULD do, in my opinion. And I'm sure the community will do it after they take the MMO offline.

J1M

Arcane

You just give people the server install and have the client connect to it locally.

Xor

Arcane
TOR runs on the Hero engine, and I suspect it's not designed for single player games or capable of running them without massive reworking. They would probably have to essentially rewrite the entire engine from scratch to get it to work single player - either forcing the Hero engine to work in single player (which might well be impossible) or just creating a whole new game engine to run the existing assets. Either way that's a ton of work, so I doubt it will happen.

Xor

Arcane
Strip an MMO of its login and you'd still need to connect to the server to do anything. The client is not designed to be a standalone game.

J1M

Arcane
TOR runs on the Hero engine, and I suspect it's not designed for single player games or capable of running them without massive reworking. They would probably have to essentially rewrite the entire engine from scratch to get it to work single player - either forcing the Hero engine to work in single player (which might well be impossible) or just creating a whole new game engine to run the existing assets. Either way that's a ton of work, so I doubt it will happen.
You just give people the server install and have the client connect to it locally.

Worst case scenario, run the server install from a virtual machine on the same computer.

set

Cipher
Yes you could give all users a server client. But at that point, just give us the fucking source code and let us mod your MMO so it doesn't suck shit. Of course, neither EA nor BioWare or any MMO maker mind you would ever conceive of this as a good idea.

If you were to make SWTOR into a SP game you'd be playing in a massive ghost town, it'd be rather pointless and boring without at least other wandering NPCs.

J1M

Arcane
Yes you could give all users a server client. But at that point, just give us the fucking source code and let us mod your MMO so it doesn't suck shit. Of course, neither EA nor BioWare or any MMO maker mind you would ever conceive of this as a good idea.

If you were to make SWTOR into a SP game you'd be playing in a massive ghost town, it'd be rather pointless and boring without at least other wandering NPCs.
I'm assuming you meant something else here.

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
Just give it to the KOTOR 2 Restoration mod team. I am sure they are looking for a new SW based project to work on after completing the restoration mod.

:troll:

set

Cipher

I'm assuming you meant something else here.

I'm just blathering. SWTOR is currently a ghost town as it is, but if you were to play it offline, you'd never see anyone out in the world, you'd just have your static NPCs. To properly make a SP game out of it, you'd at least want to put roaming groups of friendly and hostile NPCs...? At least to simulate some small part of the worlds being 'alive'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom