Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Drakron

Arcane
Can STO allow two players complete the same mission in a group like TOR did?

Yes but thats not really that advisable since STO scales up so if you team with someone else you get extra enemies and most XP gain is by quest completion so there isnt any real incentive for doing it but in some end game areas (like Defera) thats pretty much how its supposed to work, teamed as its are zone, not instance so mobs spawns are always the same no matter what.

Drakron

Arcane

STO is very soloing friendly except at end game were its pretty much all grouping.

Then again, STO missions arent getting 10 cockrings in a grinding even if some are kinda like that, mostly they are "go here, kill everyone, then go over there" with the exception of end game, plus its Star Trek and you do get a away team of 4 Bridge Officers on ground barring some exceptions.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I know, I tried. I got through the Borg evac and didn't feel like doing anymore.
There's something very disengaging about the whole thing and I kept coming back to TOR just to advance the class storyline while paired up with another class to experience two narrative at once.
While the writing does have ups and mostly downs, I do feel it added something to the game, just enough to keep me playing. - they acknowledge the player class that spoke with them, even the dialogue reflected that.
It even takes note if you're in a party or not.

It's not much when you look at it from single player games perspective, but for MMO to have somewhat - 'meatier' co-op content with narrative I felt TOR kept me playing.
And the only reason why it 'failed' is because creating an engaging content like that - takes a long time and once all the hardcore players consumed all of them they're just going to leave within a month because there's not much else to do.

Also more Imperial Agent lol:
swtor%202014-05-25%2001-49-40-47.jpg

swtor%202014-05-25%2001-49-42-59.jpg

RK47

Patron
Corvus fucked up his installation again, so I ran Republic Group Mission instead.
Got into group of 4.
Was playing a medic trooper, hence in charge of healing those damn people running in front, wearing cloth armor while swinging a laser toothpick wildly.
Then one decision moment to pick whether to eject the engineering to vacuum or try another harder path I manage to roll the highest for the sole vote to let the Engineers suck vacuum. :smug:
The butthurt in party chat from the two Jedis were delicious.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's not like it matters because they still get LS points from their choices, only difference is how it plays out. I hope you ditched the ambassador as well. For consistency, of course. :obviously: You'll also probably be horribly heartbroken interested to find out those first two flashpoints, one per faction, are really the only ones with actual stories going on. The higher level you get the more they become your typical tank and spank affairs.

RK47

Patron
You'll also probably be horribly heartbroken interested to find out those first two flashpoints, one per faction, are really the only ones with actual stories going on. The higher level you get the more they become your typical tank and spank affairs.

I already assumed as much. There's a reason why the game subs dropped so quick.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
You'll also probably be horribly heartbroken interested to find out those first two flashpoints, one per faction, are really the only ones with actual stories going on. The higher level you get the more they become your typical tank and spank affairs.

I already assumed as much. There's a reason why the game subs dropped so quick.

That's not entirelly accurate, though, admittedly, there is not *much* more to FPs. It's just that the majority of "story" elements have been relegated to areas outside the flashpoint proper. That is: you go to the Fleet, chat up a Moff or a Sith Lord, hear the introduction and *then* you enter the FP instance. Within the instance dialogues are limited, if present at all, though of course the bosses will taunt you, a light/dark choice is usually included, etc. After you're done, you go back to your quest giver and have moar discussions, possibly including a light/dark choice.
Or, if you don't want to chat with the Moff/Sith Lord or you have already finished the story component and thus *can't* chat with said quest giver, you can just enter the FP instance and harvest those sweet, sweet commendations.

I assume it has been done so that people who just want to get those comms don't have to listen to tons and tons of dialogue. Or don't have to wait for those who want to listen. Quite resonable, come to think of it, though, of course, the story elements outside the FP instance could have been significantly expanded.

RK47

Patron
Well, all I meant is that the unique story-based campaign is finite.
People stop playing once they felt 'done' with their characters.
It's strange that I don't really pay attention to gear or level as much when playing TOR and that was a pleasant surprise.

RK47

Patron
I hope you enjoy BitRaider stealing your Internets ...

Frankly, I enjoy a free to play single player campaign with the occasional random person tagging along and a semi-regular bro exploring new planets and laughing at sometimes terrible writing and learning about Bioware's vision of Post-Obsidian Star Wars Universe that is not even considered canon by the creator.

I just visited Taris on the Republic Commando - remember that ship you were on in KOTOR tutorial? Yeah, it crashed hard. And once Revan and Bastila hightailed out of there, the Sith bombared the whole planet and turned it to shit. There's also that cameo of rakghouls. Hundreds of them. 300 years have passed, and they still can't beat these dudes.

Also, the refugees at the Undercity? The one you gave the map to Promised Land? They all died in the end. Checking five holo recordings of their last moments as their numbers shrank and hopes of finding that Promised Land faded to oblivion was pretty moving. Only to be ruined by my team mate's remark.

'Oh man, this is like the Hebrews...'

I laughed out loud and whipped out a thermal detonator at the nearby concentration of Rakghouls.

'How do you know? You weren't even there, friend.'

Just another day in the crumbling republic.

ALFA.png

Lt. Alfarius, Havoc Squad. Out.

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
Just switching in between. I go Agent when Corvus is online, when he's not I just solo on Republic.
Sith Empire POV seems kinda boring - I just encountered Revanites and finished that temple in the capital world.
Can you say 'inane'? That whole temple made Dark side seems like a joke.
And the forced Light / Dark choice at the end is pathetic at times. There is never an all dark option - there is always a Light Side!
Despite doing stupid things like letting a stark raving lunatic stay in a the temple, possessed by the Sith forever. If you spare his life, dooming him to an entire existence in the temple, it's +50 Light! Watching Corvus taking those Light Side options were cringeworthy.

Also, despite the massively reduced EXP rate, I'm not feeling it too much. Lower purple number appears when I defeat enemies, so what?
It doesn't seem that harmful.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Wel the Light/Dark choices in the game are mostly retarded, yes. Like handing a traitorous Imperial general over to the tender mercies of the Inquisitorius and the Imperial Intelligence netting you light side points because "omg you spared his life!!!!1111".

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It's not like your light/dark rating affects anything except some minor buff items.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I wonder if Bioware will ever deliver neutral relics and gear. There's basically no mechanical reason to play a neutral character and hasn't been since launch. You WANT to go full LS or DS for at least some fringe benefits.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
It's not like your light/dark rating affects anything except some minor buff items.

It does affect appearance. Trust me, maintaining the proper Sith looks of Dark III is troublesome to say the least. Why, oh why did Bugoware think giving higher Dark tires fugly red eyes is a good idea.

I wonder if Bioware will ever deliver neutral relics and gear. There's basically no mechanical reason to play a neutral character and hasn't been since launch. You WANT to go full LS or DS for at least some fringe benefits.

Ummm... The game's full of neutral relics and gear. All the endgame gear is neutral.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Ummm... The game's full of neutral relics and gear. All the endgame gear is neutral.
I think he means neutral-exclusive gear, so that the game isn't effectively punishing you for choosing a mix of dark and light choices. This is something they've been promising since before the game was released.

RK47

Patron
Huh? They're worried about those little blue and red glowy at the end of conversations?
I'm Neutral on my Commando and I pick the answers that I felt fitting. No mercy for Separatists and traitors etc.
People are seriously obsessed about numbers too much in MMO.

I'm glad I chose the Combat Medic build cause people are really selfish and Flashpoints are really harsh without decent heals to back it up.
I generally hate playing healer in games but I felt I'm doing fine in this game. I spent Commendations on gears I want, spec on healing and that's that.
PVE with Companion is perfectly do-able. World Heroics can get tricky if you get paired with a squishy teammate with no tank, but if two companions sacrifice their lives to buy time and we outlevel the Elites by a few - we'll make it.

Anyways, Lv 24 now. One more to get that Speeder ride on Republic Commando.
I felt my Lv 20 Imperial Sniper felt too static and boring in PVE - honestly I did not feel comfortable just planting my feet down on cover to spam 3s channeled snipes, but it seemed to work fine as long as I ignore every targets on the background and systematically eliminate the elites from weakest to strongest. Activating that 20m cooldown skill was hilarious with the theme song kicking in too, anyway, I regret going Sniper - Operative seems more flexible in open world PVE.

As for the story, I finished up Coruscant & Imperial Capital.
Got the third companion for Commando - ex-Imperial Officer. Debating whether her combat medic support or the original tank commando companion is more useful in combat. I do get bored of hearing that Cathar guy. I was also pleasantly surprised when I made a return trip to Taris after finishing the plot related quests - the governor of the system contacted me and unlocked a new bonus area to clear. Nice. The way it is being presented felt like I'm in a single player campaign yet there's freedom to do any content in any order I wished.

Tried the space missions - good god it reminded me of Rebel Assault. I can't believe they did it here, but whatever - it's fast, it's shallow, it's EXP. Just do it thrice a week for F2P and move on. EXP is always good.

All in all, I can see myself playing this game for a long time just to see the plot for every character.
4 out of 7 - would pay for additional char slot in the future.

TMNT_and_Republic_Commando_by_Ayej.jpg

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I think he means neutral-exclusive gear, so that the game isn't effectively punishing you for choosing a mix of dark and light choices. This is something they've been promising since before the game was released.
Punished? Please. The light and dark exclusive items are insignificant in the greater scheme of things, their numerical value a trifle.

I regret going Sniper - Operative seems more flexible in open world PVE.
I hear Operative sucks as DPS. He's a glorious healer, though.

As for the story, I finished up Coruscant & Imperial Capital.
Did you refuse to bow to Darth Jadus? Please say you refused to bow to Darth Jadus :troll:

All in all, I can see myself playing this game for a long time just to see the plot for every character.
4 out of 7 - would pay for additional char slot in the future.

I might be able to offer you a scheme that will make you a preffered player (and that means 6 char slots, I believe), and net me a couple of cartel coins :smug:

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
Do tell.
Yeah I refused to suck his dick.
And he died as a result. :smug: (Or did He?)

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Upon further inspection, the little scheme that BioBugoware has come up with no longer works this way, or the description is bugged. Basically, I can generate a link and clicking it gives you just some experience boost items and an additional row of inventory slots. I think it used to give you sub rights for a week and pref status after that... but now this supposedly works only on former subs. There's only one way to find out - you'll find the link in a PM. Also, consider subbing for a month or two anyway. This will convert you to a pref after the subscription runs out, meaning character slots and other perks you'd otherwise have to buy.

Yeah I refused to suck his dick.
And he died as a result. :smug: (Or did He?)

One had nothing to do with the other. Did you enjoy the medcenter, though? :troll: Too bad it's the only such moment in the entire game (as far as I know, that is, but I've seen all the stories the Empire has to offer). This should happen a dozen times to unruly Agents and Bounty Hunters, and 3-4 times to Inquisitors or Warriors who decide to mouth off to their Master.

RK47

Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom