Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Finished Voss and it was very classic neutral planet courted by two factions - and player comes in, affect things.
I kinda like how this one concluded due to how I decided to approach things: direct and short violence.
I do wonder if the conclusion can be changed had I done it less violently.

RK47

Patron

Wooh. Corellia, this is when being an asshole really, really felt evil for the bounty hunter storyline, and I can justify that by being framed over that 10 million cred bounty.
Correllia is a decent planet and is a worthwhile climax to the storylline imo.
The only bad part is knowing that you're so close to the end that the there'd be no more class storyline to pursue after this planet concludes.
And by the time I finished with this planet, I'm done with the character skill development anyway.

RK47

Patron
I'll be honest, I'm enjoying the Houk sidekick.

Indeed. He came in too late.
There's always an issue of 'This companion's kinda fit my narrative choices - but he's kinda terrible in combat.'
Or... 'Man I wish I can use the healer droid, but I don't wanna miss out on the dialogue with that smuggler'.
Thing is, the cast of the Bounty Hunter companion is kinda spread out.

The Medic
First we have, Mako the intel girl who can heal and stuck with the hunter from the start - a lot of people doesn't like her and I can see why.
05.jpg

She whines about killing people and is a fan of bounty hunter. This is like a fan of Justin Wong hating Street Fighter 4 Super Arkay Edition - makes no frickin' sense.
I think the biggest issue here is putting her as a form of 'conscience' which is totally BS when you're bounty hunting.

The Sniper
Then we have. Geralt of Rivia. Gould. Gault. Or Gauld. The Devoronian
01.jpg

I really hate this guy at the start - you spent a lot of time chasing this guy in Tatooine and Excidium was kinda right - he is the epitome of fake choice.
At the end of the long chase, he gave the hunter an offer: Take him as a crew and he'll turn in his clone for the bounty. And assumes a new ID: hence the name, Gould. The original name escapes me. Think of it like a less memorable version of andhaira. I guess if you shot him - you'd still take his clone in. But as I got sick of Mako's whining - Gault seems like a breath of fresh air. He's very profit driven with no traces of altruism. He will not take risk nor will appreciate when the player puts himself in unnecessary danger. He's kinda complex - he won't hesitate to shoot an enemy but if you can squeeze more money from NOT squeezing the trigger - he'll appreciate if you take it. I like it. The voice fits and the facial expression fits.

The Mandalorian Bore
Then we have...Broseph the Mandalorian.
02.jpg

Bland as fuck. His name escapes me. I kept calling him Broseph cause he resembles his pic. There was a bounty on his dad, a mandalorian traitor. To cleanse the dishonor from his clan yada yada, he has to yada yada his father.
He helped me, I helped him. He wants to follow. And this is the female bounty hunter's potential romantic partnet. HAH.
He's just a bland, honorable hunter persona types that is predictable and totally forgettable. In the end his pathetic skillset - melee aoe dps - build didn't fit so well and I dropped him for Gault the Sniper.

The Gypsy Kid
Hoth is a shit planet. The bloom on the icy surface kills my eyes. And I can barely take the missions there. It was just long stretch of icy wastelands.
But there was one redeeming feature. Gypsy Kid.

03.jpg

Blizz, the Jawa. Gypsy Kid is as Jawa as they come. This is probably the most unique companion that most classes would love to have and willing to pay real money to have. Instead they pay for Ewok lmao suckers.
His plot line is pretty boring - but it's his light-hearted antics and quips that breaks the 'serious business' of Star Wars. Kinda like a tolerable version of Jar Jar Binks. I grinned when he went 'BOSS DONT KILL SPACE OTTER MAMA' in Corellia. -100 affection. Awww. Little guy is a ranged tank too. Which is funny, considering his size. And Bioware is lazy when designing his looks. You will not see any cosmetical changes on him despite outfitting him with different armor.
I'd say people's tolerance for Blizz varies. Some like the break in boring guy, especially after Broseph the Mandalorian - but they really want a ruthless guy as their right hand man...and so Bioware thought - why not just put him in a Prison colony?

Butt-fucker

04.jpg

Skadge has no fucks to give. If it's fighting - he'll want in. If it's blood, there better be blood. Intimidation gets him chuckles. Hell, he'd watch a suicide to laugh at it. Whatever you do, as long as it's aggressive, and ruthless - Skadge will brofist. This no-holds barred ruthlessness fits the theme of the final arc of Bounty Hunter when his infamy gets the better of him and he gets framed with a 10mil bounty. You can larp trying to clear your name - or wanting some serious payback. The latter will want Skadge simply to fit the 'ruthless' theme, the former may want to stick with other crews whose motive is slightly less violent. For me who had to put up with Mako's whining and Gault's calculative suggestions and Blizz's cute, yet naive comments, Skadge is like a plate of nice juicy beef in the middle of salad bar. All meat, peppered and sauced. I'd go with him all the way. He's a melee tank too, so he fits the bill for my ranged dps hunter. Excidium claims he's undeveloped, I'd say that's just how ex-convicts are. They just want to put their fist up someone's holes. There doesn't need to be anything else.

Thanks for reading, and thanks Bioware for a cash-free adventure (Not exactly, I spent 5 bucks for the additional 2 hot bars, bank space and other minor stuff.)
I'm happy with this. Really am. But after hitting 50, there's no incentive to play on. I'm done with the story. The Operations are non-accessible for F2P but I care not.
I might do a solo run on lower level flashpoints to show off some places I really liked.

On the mean time, here's the final vid on Mercenary.

:bro:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I guess if you shot him - you'd still take his clone in.
Actually the most you can do is act angry about taking him in.

Also I don't remember if I told you, if you don't romance Mako she hooks up with Broseph :M

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Pffff. Pisses me off that it's fake choice, and the only badass among the fucking bounty hunter companions is the Houk.
But other than that, not bad.
What race works best with bounty hunter?

RK47

Patron
I don't think race even has any inherent advantage/disadvantage.
I doubt they acknowledge any racial choice.
Pick a cyborg probably. But it really doesn't make any difference.

RK47

Patron
A better game: They couldn't even if they wanted to.
The kind of narrative they wanted to deliver isn't really going to work for the entire MMO gameplay.
Story ends at Lv 50. It killed any desire for me to login on the merc. I'm not an achiever. I just want to finish the narrative and move on.
I'd say this game is PERFECT for duos. Play two different class and start teaming up to complete quests. The flow of the planet quests felt right and even with 25% EXP penalty as F2P player, I never once was underleveled. There's always enough quest EXP to push me to the next planet level. My biggest surprise was actually having more fun in the narrative and not seeing the whole level-up thing as a treadmill. Compare it to Guild Wars 2 where the whole setup felt lame where I felt like I was doing the story for the EXP - not the other way around.

The 'Set Skills' Syndrome
Abilities continue to develop to 55, yet you receive most of your 'core' rotation skills at level 30ish. It felt the same as Guild Wars 2 IMO. Only by going into Flashpoints/Heroics I was forced to play differently.
40 onwards - you're cycling through the same 5-6 skills with the occasional 3-5 situational skill or long cooldowns. They should've lowered the level cap.

Class Variety
Also, PVP vs PVE balance was considered 'too hard' hence both faction receive identical skill sets and classes with different names. I was kinda disappointed, but after seeing how Warhammer Online turned out - I can understand why they chickened out. Too much 'What ifs' and 'I'll quit if you nerf X'. Just give both side different narrative and cosmetics. Please the PVE while PVP has nothing to grumble about.

Gearing up
Gearing is also made 'easier' for casuals to level up with - yet the final top tier 'set pieces' can only be attained from a few 'Hard' instances that require more than 4 man to execute. This is something I don't care about - and was never convinced that having a 16 man is there to improve the experience for the players - it was pure dev laziness. The amount of effort does reward you with high tier gear - but like I said, there's no more Class story for me - hence I'm done by 50.

The joke from the gearing up 1-49 is that anything you get from 4-man flashpoints, 'stat-wise' is attainable outside of it - and all you gained from doing flashpoints is probably a chance of earning an unique skin or completing quests and gaining extra EXP. This is a big plus but kinda killed the anticipation of grouping up for bigger rewards. I mostly did flashpoints once and never returned again since it took extra effort to coordinate and seems slower than just questing to level normally or if you're up for something even quicker read below...

The Galactic Starfighter
I'll be honest, I like it - but man does it suck to be in imbalanced team whether you're winning or losing. There's no good balance, but really - how hard is it to keep track of pilot levels by checking earned requisitions? Why continue to slaughter beginners by pitting them against 6 month vet craft? Is this supposed to encourage beginners to open their wallet to unlock the 'BEST' ship to beat the 'BEST' ship?

I simply hate coming in there and watch gunships just popping scout moles left and right. The beginners who fly in a straight line - barely understanding what killed them - or chasing after near unkillable bombers that simply shit out mines on your chest. I guess they understood that it causes grave butthurt, so the devs took action and reward the losers - a little too generously.

The Galactic Starfighter alone creates a disruptive aspect of leveling and I've mixed feelings with the whole 'fly a plane, pew pew and get rewarded even if your lose.'

Here is a PVP system that rewards players not by using their class abilities - but simply buying upgrades, and flying their ships well - with generous XP & credit rewards. It is entirely possible to level 1-50 quicker through dogfighting than PVE-ing since you have no need to speak to any NPC and just simply spend requisition points on upgrade - the big issue I see here is the amount of Credit they throw at the players while not really letting people upgrade ships with those earned credits. Hence.. why flood the market with those ridiculous credits? It was too good and efficient - even for the losing side to earn EXP & Credit. I tested one run - where I had KFC in one hand and mouse on the other.

It was basically 10 min of this
star-wars-porkins-o.gif

I got no kill and died more than 10 deaths. Still 10k credits in my bank and 8k exp. For 10 mins of PORKINNNNNNNNNSSS. What the fuck?
Are they afraid people won't play the Starfighter game if they stop getting those amount of exp & credits?
Then why not divide the pilots into beginner, seasoned, veterans, and masters. Hell even a 4 v 4 for master pilot is more engaging than the chaotic 12 v 12 that devolve into 5 people achieving 5 to 1 Kill ratios while the other 7 either chip 10% dmg assists or run into asteroids or serve as living baits.

RK47

Patron
Goddamn whoever did this choices and consequences thing needs a good smack on the face.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Your conclusions were similar to my own, although you seem to have enjoyed the story more than I did.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It's too bad the stories aren't more interactive, with more back and forth between characters and what not. Honestly, I think a badass bounty hunter with that Houk partner, both enjoying the brutality of it, would have been awesome.

RK47

Patron
Double EXP week from 1st July!
Might roll Agent!
I got a lvl 14 Marauder too.
My Jedi Guardian is lvl 36 and finally unlocked most of the move sets, loving the Overhead Slash and Saber Throws.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom