Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
At least it's TWO planets this time and not Gay Planet™ they introduced with RotHC. Only problem is that's still only two zones becuase that's what planets are in TOR so it's still very slim pickings for an expansion pack. But hey, gotta keep up with the Joneses and get rid of that old talent tree for disciplines.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I am not, the Exile was a much better character anyways."

No.

That said,l i thoguht this game bombed. Why make an expansion for a failed game. R00fles!

Avellion

Erudite
"I am not, the Exile was a much better character anyways."

No.

That said,l i thoguht this game bombed. Why make an expansion for a failed game. R00fles!
1. Yes. Revan's may fit in better with Star Wars, with the whole tale of redemption, but ultimately that is all he was, just another redeemed villain (and now he is appearantly back to being a villain). The exile didnt feel to be anywhere near as generic as revan.
2. SWTOR did not bomb, it is one of the most successful mmorpgs out there, somehow.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
At the end of the day, I'm sure the management of EA knew they would not kill WoW. Even if the game was better somehow and funded by gazillions of dorrito reviews. It doesn't take much to see that killing WoW would take years maybe decades, a long uphill battle to pry away ancient gamer base.

Avellion

Erudite
TOR bombed on launch, the proof is in the fact that they went F2P so quickly.

It is now doing well but it didn't become the WoW killer that EA expected it to be.
Yes. Thanks for the correction.

The TORtanic related stuff was hilarious at launch. Watching the BioDrones go in full damage control, when you pointed out all sorts of evidence such as the unsubscribe button suddenly disappearing (which also happened to Warhammer Online... hmm), activity charts which in addition to showing a massive drop off showcased a significantly negative derivative on the population, massive server merges and all sorts of stuff, you saw these Biodrones claim that SWTOR's population was bigger than ever.

I dont think I have met a more delusional fanboys, outside of that one GW2 fanboy claiming that GW2 has over 3 million active players, everyone loves the living story and claiming GW2 is a sandbox mmo.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
5nurud.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Dying, Revan attempted to become one with the Force, but he was unsuccessful. While part of him moved on and joined the Force, the rest—the part that had embraced the darkness to escape the pain of the Emperor's torture—refused to do so, and was left in control of his body. Now insane and fully submerged in the dark side, the new "dark" Revan believed his mind to be "clearer" and his strength to have increased.
On Lehon, the Revanites embedded fragments of the destroyed Star Forge in the bodies of their recruits, creating soldiers who could heal rapidly and possessed great strength.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Unless Wookiepedia hasn't fully written about the expansion's plot, it looks like Revan's still alive after this update.

Deleted member 7219

I just can't believe how much they've shat on the Revan of KOTOR and KOTOR 2 by this point.

The thing is, TOR is not entirely without merits. Some of the class storylines really are good. But they have done nothing to add to them since, just a generic Hutt addon, a starfighter addon, and now... this. Complete bollocks.

I imagine that when the license comes up for renewal, Disney will say no.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Could be worse, this is more or less in line with other random shenanigans in SW universe.
True. But the canon for Revan had always been decent - or at least made sense - before this MMO. Including KOTOR.

Edit: Hmm I see. Most of Revan's (back?)story between KOTOR and SWTOR was written by Drew Karpyshyn - who yes of course was a really mediocre Bioware writer - but he key word was, as he left in 2012 and it looks like they found someone even shittier (or got Hamburger to write it). Actually Revan's little storyline in his 4-player dungeon thingie was plausible, probably also written by Crappyshin.

But jesus what the fuck is this new shit? Dragon Ball Z?

I just can't believe how much they've shat on the Revan of KOTOR and KOTOR 2 by this point.

The thing is, TOR is not entirely without merits. Some of the class storylines really are good. But they have done nothing to add to them since, just a generic Hutt addon, a starfighter addon, and now... this. Complete bollocks.

I imagine that when the license comes up for renewal, Disney will say no.
Yeah the additions are horrible. (And no I haven't played them lol).

Completely ignoring the shit gameplay*, yup, some of the class storylines were pretty good (Imperial Agent especially, and seemingly Sith Warrior). And the rest were at the worst mediocre (well, I didn't play all of them but it seemed that way).

*I also played only the stealth advanced classes. Sith Assassin and... Imperial something. So I avoided a shitload of combat. If I had to actually fight all the mobs I'd have shot myself.

Unwanted

Sycophantic Noob

Andhaira
Andhaira
Have the new movies increased interest in the MMO? And how long does EA have the MMO license anyway?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom