Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Slow James

Savant
Mass Effect 1 had C&C that carried over to Mass Effect 3.
True story.

I do have to concede this. The Virmire survivor did wind up becoming a choice that resulted in a lot of divergent content. Granted, there was a lot of railroading and pigeonholing to make VS out of the picture for huge chunks of ME2 and 3, it still is undeniable that they did provide at least that as truly stand-alone, non-copied content.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
True story.

I do have to concede this. The Virmire survivor did wind up becoming a choice that resulted in a lot of divergent content. Granted, there was a lot of railroading and pigeonholing to make VS out of the picture for huge chunks of ME2 and 3, it still is undeniable that they did provide at least that as truly stand-alone, non-copied content.

I pretty much killed Jim the Dinosaur in Virmire cause I couldn't stand him.
And was pretty happy when I told Mordin in Mass Effect 2 to do what had to be done, because the Krogans are not who we thought they were.
Seeing it crystalize into an outcome where I could simply fool the new Krogan War Chief with a fake solution and convincing Mordin it was the right decision to make was the highest point of the game for me. It did what it promised to do. Powerful stuff.

Slow James

Savant
True story.

I pretty much killed Jim the Dinosaur in Virmire cause I couldn't stand him.
And was pretty happy when I told Mordin in Mass Effect 2 to do what had to be done, because the Krogans are not who we thought they were.
Seeing it crystalize into an outcome where I could simply fool the new Krogan War Chief with a fake solution and convincing Mordin it was the right decision to make was the highest point of the game for me. It did what it promised to do. Powerful stuff.

...if you killed Wrex in ME1. If not, the game just waves it in your face how awesome he is and how utopian all of the Blue conversation options are.

And... to top it off... the endings of ME3 pretty much nuke any sort of player agency anyway. Synthesis? What does it matter if you cured the Krogan or not - everyone is robozombies! Control? What possible threat could rapidly breeding Krogans pose to a combined front of the rest of the galaxy PLUS God Shephard and his armada of robo-Chutlus?

Destroy leaves room for these things to actually play out, but given the presence of the other two options, it won't. Bioware will marginalize and reduce every choice made in previous games to avoid the disparities presented in the last ten minutes. And since the game gave no clear indication on the future of what your chocies actually meant, it means that aspect of the story will never be told.

In light of that amount of total futility, where we will either never know if the Krogan have evolved past their roots or whether they are still a huge threat to galaxy, then I find it nearly impossible to find value in the choices. The scenes were well done, but the actual C&C still is very shallow. No consequence to the game world other than former companions being alive or dead - that's not a reason for me to feel like I've done anything for the greater good of the galaxy.

RK47

Patron
Did you see any of your Vegas decision change anything?
Just a paragraph of narration by Ron Perlman.
That was enough wasn't it?
You wanna go all out and have the full blown DA:O Origins narrative end perhaps.
This is where ME3 dropped the ball I agree.
But expecting the sequel to display full effects of C&C is futile. This is why Gaider went the safe route in DAI by only allowing you to ditch companions you didn't want and not outright kill them like in Origins.

Slow James

Savant
Did you see any of your Vegas decision change anything?
Just a paragraph of narration by Ron Perlman.
That was enough wasn't it?
You wanna go all out and have the full blown DA:O Origins narrative end perhaps.
This is where ME3 dropped the ball I agree.
But expecting the sequel to display full effects of C&C is futile. This is why Gaider went the safe route in DAI by only allowing you to ditch companions you didn't want and not outright kill them like in Origins.

See, that's my problem. One paragraph elaborating on the future and impact of my decision DOES make everything better for me. It doesn't tease things out into some unknown future, where the consequences are never seen.

And I don't want a game where everyone's choices from previous games result in wildly divergent story lines. Or, at least, I know the feasibility of such a model is pretty much impossible in almost any scope.

What I would like is for a game to offer a morally grey choice (or preferably multiple ones). To deal with the consequences of that choice both in the game as well as in the ending, showing us how the cards laid out. DA:O, Arcanum, the Fallout games and others did this pretty well.

What I would like on top of that is for future games to not run away from these decisions, but instead set a canon and continue developing the stories they have already created and vested the player in. Bioware tries to do that with the Save Import, but in my eyes fails miserably because they make all choices seem totally insignificant in the scheme of things, since nothing of material difference is seen. Fallout embraces setting canon when it suits them, but also runs away (clear across the continent sometimes) in future games.

Give me a game not afraid to give big choices, which make me feel like the choice was important to the rest of the world and then give me a sequel that actually explores what this new world stage is like, even if it can only be done through setting a clear canon that may not even be the choice I made.

Surprisingly, very few games are willing and able to do this.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Technological plateau. It isn't new - Star Wars was hardly the first science fiction or fantasy universe to do it. Tolkien (although Middle-Earth is meant to turn into Earth at some point - Tolkien only hinted at it in letters and such), D&D, Warcraft, Warhammer 40K...
Only one would like them to be consitent about it. Star Wars expanded universe is full of technological advancement. (Which then is usually ignored or sidelined by the next author...)
And if anything the Prequels and Old Republic stuff looks/is more advanced than the original movies. (At the same time substituting the Original's charming Space Trash style with Apple iShit style.)

Anyway, has TOR killed WoW yet? :M

RK47

Patron
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
WITTY REPARTEE
DEAL WITH IT.GIF
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Hey assholes, do you even play this MMO?

RK47

Patron
5nurud.jpg

Norfleet

I'm not even sure who he was responding to with that image, anyway. Sure hell can't have been me, since that response makes no sense.

RK47

Patron
Question:

Is there spaceship ramming in this game?

Hard to say.
My experience in the Galactic Starfighter felt more like a Rogue Squadron with strafing and speed paying off when combined with great ship upgrades.
Most of the veterans are probably killing noobs so quick nowadays with their fully souped ship.
You can't ram shit if the bombers drop mines anyway, it was a fun distraction and the credits can really help in paying off upgrade bills if you like to keep your gear up to date.

The other 'rail-shooting' PVE starfighter is not even worth talking about it.
I still cannot believe they gated the F2P from playing just 3 maps of it a week. :lol:
I tried a few and can't even be arsed to keep up with the level scaling bullshit that the enemy AI drones exhibits.

Technological plateau. It isn't new - Star Wars was hardly the first science fiction or fantasy universe to do it. Tolkien (although Middle-Earth is meant to turn into Earth at some point - Tolkien only hinted at it in letters and such), D&D, Warcraft, Warhammer 40K...
Only one would like them to be consitent about it. Star Wars expanded universe is full of technological advancement. (Which then is usually ignored or sidelined by the next author...)
And if anything the Prequels and Old Republic stuff looks/is more advanced than the original movies. (At the same time substituting the Original's charming Space Trash style with Apple iShit style.)

Anyway, has TOR killed WoW yet? :M

Instead of altering the original trilogy to frame Greedo, Lucas should have added in one line by Grand Moff Tarkin that suggests an Asimov 'Foundation series' decline (specifically, 'Foundation and Empire' where the Empire starts expanding again after managing to fluke a great President and great General in power at the same time):

"Send our best frigates, state of the line. Nothing less than 300 years old."

Instantly a better setting. Even gives a motivation for the trade federation shenanigans in TPM (galaxy in ultra-slow economic and scientific decline, simply too big to be effectively governed under a central body unless you've got someone like Sidious who will commit to totalitarian measures, the trade federation has realised the long term trend but can't do shit through the senate for the same reasons - even validates the rebels in the original trilogy, as they seem to be fighting for a decentralised galaxy in which individual planets have self-sovereignty).

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Saw the main game being sold for 5 jews and since I wanted to check out the wreck (and didn't want to be a f2p pleb) I bought it. In before I actually like it and subscribe. #mmowhoreconfessions

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom