Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
This game is so fucking bad.

Like, I'm playing it because I'm bored, but, for hundreds of millions this is seriously all they could come up with?

Hassat Hunter

Educated
Yep, same experience. Game was retarded in how much exp it gave out. I skipped entire areas because it was leveling me too fast (the game seriously needed an EQ2 "turn off exp" feature) and I gave up on crafting because you way outpaced the time it took to make anything of worth. Aside from several other issues, that was the biggest one for me. I mean, if they slowed exp down by maybe 40-50%, the game might have felt like a game rather than some shallow interactive movie. /shrug
Unsub... problem solved.

It's quite stupid the game gets WORSE for subbing... but hey, TOR isn't exectly good in making sense anyway.

Xenich

Cipher
Yep, same experience. Game was retarded in how much exp it gave out. I skipped entire areas because it was leveling me too fast (the game seriously needed an EQ2 "turn off exp" feature) and I gave up on crafting because you way outpaced the time it took to make anything of worth. Aside from several other issues, that was the biggest one for me. I mean, if they slowed exp down by maybe 40-50%, the game might have felt like a game rather than some shallow interactive movie. /shrug
Unsub... problem solved.

It's quite stupid the game gets WORSE for subbing... but hey, TOR isn't exectly good in making sense anyway.

I was referring to what it was like on release. Only way that game will be viable for exp curve is as I said, they cut the exp gain by 40% or more. Then you might be able to actually use your crafted equipment and see most of the game before it is out leveled. The best way to the solve the problem with ToR is to not play at all. /shrug

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Men. They've added all kinds of shit to this. 3 story updates (hot for the hutts, revan returns, emperor is a space vampire), that raised level cap. The revan thing alone has 1h20m wirth of cutscenes on empire side. There's also a homestead update and a starfighter 3rd person pvp update. I'm totes reinstalling this to check it out when I get home!

CIPHER NINE RIDES AGAIN!
:yeah:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
You're still playing this game?
Nah. I played it at release when all the codexbros were hyping it. Then dropped it after my 60-days free subscription ran out.

I checked it because everyone were talking MMOs in the shoutbox today and found out they'd pushed out a bunch of major content updates. So I'm gonna check it out for shits and giggles now that it's f2p

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:hmmm:

They removed the talent trees. Shame. Now you get the same abilities at the same level as every other member of your class. The sole customisation is picking 5 "utilities" from a short list where half of the picks are obviously traps. The new space combat is OK, but nothing to write home about. And because us free players have a limited number of space combats every day, queues are long and players are bad. It's a huge step up from the rail shooter we used to have though.

I haven't had to pay a merchant to wear gear yet. My operative is wearing raid gear from back when the game was new, and it has better stats than what I've found so far. It also feels like they changed energy regen because I never ran below 60%, even when I was spamming everything. Even fighting elites. My companion died a couple of times because my targeting hotkeys weren't as I thought and I didn't keep nanobots up on her. But on the whole the game seems a lot easier than I remembered it. They also seem to have rolled the planet-specific ommendations into all-purpose commendations. So I imagine i'll be getting my gear from vendors rather than quest rewards in the long run. :P

Oh yeah, the new storeh content isn't free. But I grabbed the thingie anyway. You pay 20 bux for the revan thingie, and it includes the hutt stuffie for free. And the new emprah expansion is free, but requires lvl 60. So basically it's part of the revan bundle too. So far the hutt storyline is 'k for what it is I guess. I didn't get very far because I spent ages remembering how to do basic shit and I had to respec my operative into one of the new banality builds.

The legacy system seems ok I guess. But also a huge money sink. Basically, xp you earn goes towards your "legacy" which is essentially buffs shared across all characters on your account. You can unlock passive XP/rep boosts for your alts, you get some minor abilities for reaching certain points in the story with different classes. And any race you take to level 50 becomes unlocked for all classes, even if the race/class combo isn't usually allowed. So you can have a sith jedi if that floats your boat. The idea seems 'k on paper, but no idea how it plays out in practice.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
5nurud.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Holy fuck, they still haven't put this game out of its misery‽
It could be worse. I could be playing autism simulator with Vaarna Aarne.
And no, they're actually still adding content. New planets with missions and new storylines. New dungeons/raids. Plus the whole stronghold/guild base expansion, multiplayer space combat etc. I was pretty surprised by how much they added after going F2P. Server population seemed pretty healthy too.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
They are still adding content because they charge many moneyz for it, so the F2P aspect is mostly a demo version by now. When I returned for a short time to wrap up storymissions (when strongholds came out), I was thrown so many hurdles in my way, I couldn't even recommend the biggest Star Wars nerd to play the game purely F2P after that. Lower xp, credit limit, limited access to group content (if at all)... Pay up or stay away!

And the Star Wars license is still healthy (especially with the upcoming movies), while Star Trek was run in the ground so hard, they had to reboot it. The two new movies are not enough to make a JJTrek MMO yet. Sadly.
We can complain all we want, but the guys managing the Star Wars brand are definitely a lot smarter than the Star Trek suits.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
And no, they're actually still adding content. New planets with missions and new storylines. New dungeons/raids. Plus the whole stronghold/guild base expansion, multiplayer space combat etc. I was pretty surprised by how much they added after going F2P. Server population seemed pretty healthy too.

I think the weirdest thing is their actual paid expansions are little more than glorified content patches compared to free updates which added whole new game systems like space combat PvP and housing. First expansion was largely ONE ENTIRE NEW PLANET... which maybe sounds impressive until you realize planets are just individual zones in TOR. And it was a gay planet, too. But yeah, F2P clearly worked out better for them content-wise compared to mandatory subscription period.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert

They removed the talent trees. Shame. Now you get the same abilities at the same level as every other member of your class. The sole customisation is picking 5 "utilities" from a short list where half of the picks are obviously traps. The new space combat is OK, but nothing to write home about. And because us free players have a limited number of space combats every day, queues are long and players are bad. It's a huge step up from the rail shooter we used to have though.

I haven't had to pay a merchant to wear gear yet. My operative is wearing raid gear from back when the game was new, and it has better stats than what I've found so far. It also feels like they changed energy regen because I never ran below 60%, even when I was spamming everything. Even fighting elites. My companion died a couple of times because my targeting hotkeys weren't as I thought and I didn't keep nanobots up on her. But on the whole the game seems a lot easier than I remembered it. They also seem to have rolled the planet-specific ommendations into all-purpose commendations. So I imagine i'll be getting my gear from vendors rather than quest rewards in the long run. :P

Oh yeah, the new storeh content isn't free. But I grabbed the thingie anyway. You pay 20 bux for the revan thingie, and it includes the hutt stuffie for free. And the new emprah expansion is free, but requires lvl 60. So basically it's part of the revan bundle too. So far the hutt storyline is 'k for what it is I guess. I didn't get very far because I spent ages remembering how to do basic shit and I had to respec my operative into one of the new banality builds.

The legacy system seems ok I guess. But also a huge money sink. Basically, xp you earn goes towards your "legacy" which is essentially buffs shared across all characters on your account. You can unlock passive XP/rep boosts for your alts, you get some minor abilities for reaching certain points in the story with different classes. And any race you take to level 50 becomes unlocked for all classes, even if the race/class combo isn't usually allowed. So you can have a sith jedi if that floats your boat. The idea seems 'k on paper, but no idea how it plays out in practice.
Ah, so they went the WOW route of making the game ridiculously easy in order to jerk off clueless morons. Well, not a big surprise, it was pretty blatant wow copy in all aspects.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Considering SWTORs diffuclty came from battling poor floaty controls, ability delay and memory leak stuttering, that can only be an incline.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Ah, so they went the WOW route of making the game ridiculously easy in order to jerk off clueless morons. Well, not a big surprise, it was pretty blatant wow copy in all aspects.

The remaining 20 players are hardcore Star Wars fans, they play the game because it is Star Wars and don't care about talent trees or even a coherent and challenging game design. It therefore makes sense to have the sad dozen remaining developers churn out world levels (i.e. 'content') on the assembly line. That way the players get more of the same with the maximum extend of diversity being differences in ground texture and everyone is happy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom