Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Seems they are turning the game into a subscription based single player KotOR game:

A man can have anything...
If he's willing to sacrifice everything.

Step into an epic story-driven adventure as your character becomes The Outlander, a veteran of the Great Galactic War. A third faction threatens the galaxy as we know it, and your choices will determine the fate of both the Sith Empire and Galactic Republic. Knights of the Fallen Empire includes the first nine chapters, fueled by BioWare-style cinematic storytelling, that kicks off a new player-driven story arc that puts you at the center of a conflict where your choices have impact on outcomes including unexpected twists and betrayals. Choose your path…join or betray companions, old and new…and shape the future of the entire galaxy as well as your own. Best of all, this is only the beginning…

THE ADVENTURE BEGINS ON OCTOBER 27TH, FREE FOR ALL SUBSCRIBERS!
PREPARE TO FACE YOUR DESTINY.

SUBSCRIBE NOW
ALREADY A SUBSCRIBER OFSTAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC?GET REWARDS NOW

Continuous Storyline. Choices that matter. BioWare Storytelling. And MORE.
  • CHOICES THAT MATTER
    Be at the center of a personalStar Wars™ story where choices matter and impact outcomes.

• START AT LEVEL 60
    You will become The Outlander, a Level 60 veteran of the Great Galactic War.

• BUILD AN ALLIANCE
    Build a team of hand-picked allies to join your alliance; meet new companions and reunite with existing companions ready to offer you their loyalty.

• YOUR PERSONAL SAGA
    Play one of eight class stories enhanced to offer a deeper, more accessible experience purely focused on immersing you in a personal Star Warsstory.

• CONTINUOUS STORY
    This is only the beginning of an evolving Star Wars story, new chapters released on a regular basis.
Cast of Characters

ARCANN
THE DARK PRINCE.

"DESTINY IS A LIE."
Destiny is a lie. Fate is the falsest of hopes. I am beyond prophecy. I forge my own path by making the difficult choices. Now, it is your turn.

I am not without mercy. Surrender and you may live. Stand against me, and I will turn you into a monument for fools who believe their victory is preordained. Choose wisely.

Chapters
  1. CHAPTER 1The Hunt
  2. CHAPTER 2A Dream of Empire
  3. CHAPTER 3Outlander
  4. CHAPTER 4The Gravestone
  5. CHAPTER 5From the Grave
  6. CHAPTER 6Asylum
  7. CHAPTER 7Lady of Sorrows
  8. CHAPTER 8Taking Flight
  1. CHAPTER 9The Alliance
  2. CHAPTER 10Anarchy In Paradise
  3. CHAPTER 11Disavowed
  4. CHAPTER 12Coming Soon
  5. CHAPTER 13Coming Soon
  6. CHAPTER 14Coming Soon
  7. CHAPTER 15Coming Soon
  8. CHAPTER 16Coming Soon

Star Wars: The Old Republic's next expansion, Knights of the Fallen Empire, is coming Oct. 27, armed with a broom.

Not literally a broom. There will be lightsabers. But figuratively. BioWare is using the expansion to have a big house-clearing of its MMO, which is now more than three years old and has been in development for nine years.

For a start, the expansion is free to subscribers. Also, anyone who engages with the expansion has the option to immediately jump to a Level 60 character. It's basically a personal role-playing saga starring the Outlander, a veteran of the Great Galactic War whose task is nothing less than taking down the Emperor of the Eternal Throne.

EA is essentially saying that anyone who is interested in a big Star Wars RPG from BioWare can play one right now. But not only is this story an RPG and an MMO, it's also episodic. The expansion — which BioWare says is its biggest to date — offers up nine episodes with more coming month-by-month in the New Year.

SWTOR_KOTFE_Vaylin_Under_Attack.0.jpg

According to BioWare Austin General Manager Jeff Hickman, all of TOR's stories are being "streamlined to make them more fun." He stressed at a recent press event that anyone who wants to engage in traditional MMO activities can do so, but that leveling up is now going to be a less time-consuming activity.

"At launch, a lot of people talked about how we had these eight storylines," said Senior Producer Bruce Maclean. "There are literally hundreds of hours of gameplay across these eight storylines. Now we're just honing in on each one of them. If you want to come in and play the story of the Jedi — probably the best video game Star Wars story ever written — you can now come in and just focus on that if you want to. You don't have to do the 'now go collect things' side stuff. In the past we've had you do that."

He's talking about grinding.

"We don't think of it as grinding," he said. "We think of it as 'the MMO bits.' But we're not taking it out, either. We're repurposing it for the alliance content. If you level a Jedi knight now, it doesn't take hundreds of hours. It takes a fraction of the time. It could be 50 or even 30 hours now, depending on who you are and how you play. But you're not going to be doing anything that's not your personal story."

SWTOR_KOTFE_EternalThroneRoom_Concept.0.jpg

EA has shifted the subscription pitch for this free-to-play game away from merely faster leveling, more bank space, more inventory slots toward more stories. Standing content is being streamlined for players who do not wish to grind, but do want to feel like they are part of a vast Star Wars story.

This shift in focus is almost entirely driven by observed player behavior patterns and by player feedback, according to Maclean. "We have three years of data on how people play the game and what they want. We know what our players want. They've told us. They've told us in person, on the forums. They've also told us through their play behaviors.

"We can look at this stuff and say, 'look, if you want to go and play the standard MMO game — PvP, doing a flashpoint, operation raiding — we have that. We've always had that. We continue to expand on that. But we also heard, loud and clear, this scream for story, for personal custom story.'"

SWTOR_KOTFE_PlanetConcept.0.jpg

Five new companions will be available throughout the quest, taken from a cast with very different allegiances.

"You're able to recruit help and additional companions from an expanded cast, including companions who were previously exclusive to other classes," said Maclean. "Building that alliance involves going to all the planets in the galaxy and doing activities and missions that build faction. If you want to recruit a character who's favorable to the Mandalorians, you'll be able to do missions for them. You want to recruit a character who hates the Hutts, you'll do missions to build your alliance standing against them."

Despite all these changes, BiowWare is clear on thing: The Old Republic is still very much an MMO, with all that genre entails. It's just been streamlined, with new options for the way each player approaches the game.

SWTOR_KOTFE_SkyTrooper.0.jpg

"I want to be really clear to our fans out there who are deep MMO fans. We're not forgetting about that part of the game either," said Hickman. "We just have a focus right now on the story. We're doing lots of stuff around flashpoints and operations and raid bosses and PvP and that stuff. But it's all about story this year.

"If you want to come and play eight really awesome BioWare Star Wars game, come toStar Wars: The Old Republic. We'll give you eight of them. You can level up your character through your story. Be deeply immersed in it. Come to cool romances and betrayals. Come to moments with the choice wheel where you choose between light and dark.

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Knights of the Fallen Empire will be released in October, as a benefit to subscribers.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Third faction

Like motherfucking clockwork. No idea what to do with your game story-wise? Just introduce another faction to shake it up!

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Third faction

Like motherfucking clockwork. No idea what to do with your game story-wise? Just introduce another faction to shake it up!
And it's a briliant idea,sick of the charade between the black wearing tight pants faggots and the white hippies faggots.Fuck the jedis and the siths for a while,show me other big factions that could take over.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Nice that it's going to be free as well. I've a lv60 Imp. Agent that supposedly defected from the empire at the end of the story arc. Will give this a spin´for the week or so it takes ot grind through the content

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's free only for subscribers, so free is not exactly true.

This new expansion marks an interesting shift in their strategy, Bioware will transition the game from an mmorpg to an episodic single player online rpg with new chapters coming every month.

The multi-player bits will only serve as a distraction while players wait for the next story chapter.

This could work, but I'm not seeing them with enough resources to keep producing meaningful content at such a pace.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just make Kotor 3 already. Nobody cares about canon or whatever since Disney nuked the EU from orbit.

"sigh" Guess I'll be digging my Miralukan Consular out of retirement.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Disney didn't nuke EU. It never existed and there's multiple cases of George Lucas saying that EU is only B canon, not relevant to his vision.

Drakron

Arcane
Disney didn't nuke EU. It never existed and there's multiple cases of George Lucas saying that EU is only B canon, not relevant to his vision.

It did.

Most of the EU was post RTJ and Jar Jar is doing a sequel, looking at what happened with Trek my guess is Jar Jar wants to wipe the slate so he can profit with mech (main reason why he ditched Trek was because CBS refused to drop Trek mech), since most EU was post RTJ its all wiped as it build on itself.

Lucas never said that, in fact he even say to keep out from the Clone Wars as he was going to do it, sure he invalidated a bit pre-ANH EU but they adapted, Jar Jar wipe will be far more reaching since its all build upon itself and right after RTJ.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, from my point of view, none of it exists because its all fiction.

Thus EA should go full steam ahead on Kotor 3 "despite" Star Wars: The Old Republic continuity. End the saga the way it was meant to be ended.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron

It did.

Most of the EU was post RTJ and Jar Jar is doing a sequel, looking at what happened with Trek my guess is Jar Jar wants to wipe the slate so he can profit with mech (main reason why he ditched Trek was because CBS refused to drop Trek mech), since most EU was post RTJ its all wiped as it build on itself.

Lucas never said that, in fact he even say to keep out from the Clone Wars as he was going to do it, sure he invalidated a bit pre-ANH EU but they adapted, Jar Jar wipe will be far more reaching since its all build upon itself and right after RTJ.

You're both stupid and wrong. Googling any interview with Lucas about EU will show you that he always classed it as B canon, aka not relevant. It was there to sell toys, not to intervene with his "master plan".

It did.

You're both stupid and wrong. Googling any interview with Lucas about EU will show you that he always classed it as B canon, aka not relevant. It was there to sell toys, not to intervene with his "master plan".

Uh, unless you're positing Star Wars actually exists in the Andromeda Galaxy, I don't see that I can be wrong.

Unless that ambiguous "both" is referring exclusively to Drakron.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
I was talking only about the idiotic notion of Drakron. Which would be clear from sentence structure to any sane people. You are sane, aren't you?

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I was talking only about the idiotic notion of Drakron. Which would be clear from sentence structure to any sane people. You are sane, aren't you?
Lucas used pieces of EU material in his own movies you utter retard.

Broadly interpretable from the composition, not clear from the sentence structure.

I'm generally sane so far as I know.

Drakron

Arcane
Lucas used pieces of EU material in his own movies you utter retard.

Yep, even in the special edition with the Outrider, Shadows of the Empire was a big thing.
Also Lucas was very involved with The Force Unleashed but I digress ...

What Wilian fails to understand is that there was a attempt to maintain continuity within the EU as cannon, what is Star Wars canon was structured within movies-novels-EU in terms of priority, movies thump all followed by the novelizations with the EU having its own layesr but what Disney did was wipe everything outside the Movies, Clone Wars movie and series and Star Wars Rebels, this made everything and I mean everything on the EU being pushed out, the NEW Star Wars EU is now called Star Wars Legends ... that is over 30 years of supplemental material being pushed out.

I wish I didnt had to explain this because not only it means I would give a fuck but also I have to explain this for the 999th time.

Also funny enough Wilian, the new movies even by the old canon would push a lot of the EU to non-canon since they would be G (movie) and the material in conflict would became S (Secondary), what Disney did was wipe everything that didnt originated from them and likely BECAUSE it didnt originated from them, this also means the loss of Timothy Zahn's work such as the Thrawn Triology, not I think you care since your tone strikes me as one of those puritist faggots that cannot appreciate people efforts on maintaining Star Wars alive and expanding it and sure we got stupid shit but Lucas himself balanced the stupid ratio with the prequels and thats before Jar Jar new movies, in fact I suspect a lot of the why the EU was wiped come from Jar Jar wanting to have control over Star Wars as he did not over Star Trek.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Finished the Hutts and Shadow of Revan expansions with my ImpAgent. Ended up as level 58. Now to find out what NPC to speak with to launch Rise of the emperor. I've got a nagging feeling I'll have to grind 2 levels worth of dailies and flashpoints to hit lv 60 first

J1M

Arcane
Well, from my point of view, none of it exists because its all fiction.

Thus EA should go full steam ahead on Kotor 3 "despite" Star Wars: The Old Republic continuity. End the saga the way it was meant to be ended.
You implication that they had a plan for a trilogy is pretty funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom