Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Kem0sabe

Arcane
x12 buff ends on the 19th by the way. I wonder if/how slower the new questing will be.
They will adjust exp on class and planet arc quests, so you can still level up just by doing those, the quest grind is becoming entirely optional.

Crazed Weevil

Prophet
They will adjust exp on class and planet arc quests, so you can still level up just by doing those, the quest grind is becoming entirely optional.
Have they said anything about whether they'll still keep giving out commendations at roughly the same rate? Really useful getting 12 comms each time you complete a mission on your class quest.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Have they said anything about whether they'll still keep giving out commendations at roughly the same rate? Really useful getting 12 comms each time you complete a mission on your class quest.
They might have talked about the comm system but I haven't a clue, on mobile so can't bother searching reddit or the forums.

Deleted member 7219

Some planetary quests are good (Corellia on Imp side for example), others are dull, so I would recommend getting as many characters to lv 50 as possible before the 12xp bonus disappears.

Deleted member 7219

As Blibawotsit said, do quests on Makeb if you find yourself short of lv 50 at the end of a class storyline. I went from 49 to 50 just by completing the first quest. I imagine you'd only need to do 2 or 3 to hit 50.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
As Blibawotsit said, do quests on Makeb if you find yourself short of lv 50 at the end of a class storyline. I went from 49 to 50 just by completing the first quest. I imagine you'd only need to do 2 or 3 to hit 50.
Thanks. I don't think I'll be doing them during 12x though. I want to do the other class stories first. (Plus I'm too lazy to relearn everything at a fast pace at level 47/50 in order to do those ~level 50 quests, whereas starting a fresh character gives me time to get used to the class). Hopefully the streamlining will be not significantly more grindy than the current system. Sounds like it'll just be 1/2 the speed. And actually it might be a good thing because it's easy to outlevel your gear. Well, for me, I've learned to use the referral red "space gear" and continually mod it with commendations (usually just weapon/helm/chest/legs) every planet or so. And then I use a nice outfit to cover it up.

Currently I'm not terribly fond of the Arsenal Merc. I would like a ranged character with instants (and not depend on cover). Course that tends to be overpowered since that makes a stupidly powerful kiting class. So I'll try a IO Merc. If that doesn't work out, I'm gonna go back to the Powertech.

I'm not liking Gunslinger for the same reasons for Arsenal Merc. Ambivalent about Saboteur... seems like too many abilities to keep track of during regular leveling. I understand it's important to be good at rotations/priority in the endgame, but for leveling I'd rather it be not that much. I may try Dirty Fighting. If not, I will make a Ruffian Scoundrel. That's the one that relies on DoTs, has a bit more range, and relies less on stealth. The main reason I'd pick that Discipline is because my level 47 is a very stealthy Operative.

I'm definitely enjoying the Scoundrel storyline just because, well, it's not that straightforward. Thus I'm going to play a Scoundrel even if I'm forced to play an Operative mirror. Sith Warrior, I'm going to play also, just because it seems very well written. Bounty Hunter I will continue playing... it seems too straightforward right now, but mechanics are interesting. Consular, I'm holding on the hope that it gets better after Chapter 1, with more manipulation behind the scenes (which the INQUISITOR SHOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE). Plus it seems like a lot of the criticism of the Consular is because it's not "action-packed" and "cinematic" and "visceral." Whatever. I also made him look like Superboy/Superman because Nolan North VAed both in Young Justice. Body Type 3 works really well with that... (Actually I always use Body 3 for males because Body 2 is just way too skinny. Body 3 I can agree is still unrealistic, but...not to the same degree).

Oh, and pics of my launch Assassin and 2 years later Operative:

aEHvYqy.jpg

2rzlHdX.jpg

CqEWRaN.jpg

Deleted member 7219

You also get a monthly Cartel coin grant which you can use to unlock new hairstyles, eye colours and things like that. That might sound pretty gay, but you spend most of your time in this game looking at your character's face during conversations so it is nice to play Barbie and make your character stand out a little bit.

You can also use the coins to buy permanent boosts for companion rep gain, which is very useful because not only does boosting companion rep unlock their quests, it also makes them better at crafting, it will make them more effective in combat once the expansion hits, and you get permanent stat boosts across all your characters the more companions you have at maximum rep.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Even for just the initial 30 days that come with the game?
BTW (I think) Preferred status occurs whenever you paid money (whether subscription or simply $5 for Cartel Coins apparently, just looked it up) but subsequently continue playing for free. So if you're currently paying money, you're a Subscriber. If you paid money before but currently playing for free, you're Preferred. If you've never ever paid money, then you're Free.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Separate post because this is 'important':

Click on the links in the following forum post (they're 'codes') and you'll get two packages. Each contains a speeder, and then another item. Usually the other item is a Dye. But I just got a Carbonite Chamber healing thing that works the same as the normal "Recuperate" out-of-combat heal.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=822974&page=133

I also got Pink/Purple Dye and I dyed my Republic Squadron Commander chestpiece. Matched the rest of the outfit to the same color and it's fucking hilarious. I dunno how I got that outfit, it's either because I pre-ordered at launch or I used someone's 7-day Referral Code before I subscribed this time around.

However if you do have them, they're VERY useful for gearing up because you can just mod them with current-level armor plating using Basic Commendations. And you get a shitload of those commendations just playing. If you want to save them or don't have enough, adding them to your headpiece, chest, and legs is good enough because they get the most effect from the armoring.

And everybody gets a red weapon in the prologue so you just need to grab a barrel/hilt every 5-10 levels and you're set for damage.

^ This is why I have no idea people complain the 12x experience causes them to be undergeared later on. No... just wear red shit. And you can do the same shit with your companions.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Best thing to spend the cartel coins on is the rocket boost. Can be used indoors and while stealthed.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Best thing to spend the cartel coins on is the rocket boost. Can be used indoors and while stealthed.
Get the "travel" pack, it's on 375CC and includes the Rocket Boost along with other things. The Rocket Boost itself currently costs 400CC lol.

---

Here's my Mal Reynolds look-a-like Scoundrel (named Mal-Lawd... kinda wish I named him Mal-Laawd for easier notice of the joke):

mcQcH5h.jpg

I am playing a Ruffian and I really like it. It plays similar to a AP Powertech if light armored, whereas the Gunslinger is similar to a light armored Merc. Could say the same about the Agent ACs of course. But I've realized I enjoy much more the mobility/skirmishing of the mid-range ACs (especially their mid-range Disciplines). Thus I'm playing a Ruffian instead of a Scrapper because I can start shooting (dots) from afar and then unleash volleys, burst shots, etc. Only thing I kinda wish is more use of the scattergun/shotgun as it's really not that prominent in either tree (using its butt to slap an enemy does not count). But I digress. The way I described the Ruffian causing damage as he closes in is quite similar to the AP Powertech I played, and maybe similar to the Pyro.

I have put the Merc aside. I switched to IO and it was still too much of a turret (not as much as a Gunslinger but it's just not me). Not to mention I HATE THE ANIMATION FOR OVERLOAD.

Just an example of the playstyle I like to play for ranged... Warhammer Online had one of my favorite classes - the Squig Herder. Complete mobility, knockbacks (which are usually knocking enemies off the ledge), etc. Less damage? Sure. But I like playing tricks.

Enjoying the Sith Warrior because the abilities and the rage meter I have accustomed to more. I realized that it has less ability bloat, which is good because of the mechanic, so it actually really works out quite fun. Well whatever the case I hate ability bloat and I'd rather have less skills but with significant differences rather than a talent causing "this skill improves that skill by adding this effect. So far SW has done really well on that.

Playing Consular for the a possibility good manipulation story (which seems like it requires da

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
meh, concealment/scrapper 4 lyfe yo, stabbing space people with space knifes one at a time
Too many silly punchy animations with a Scrapper, about same amount of shotgun attacks as a Ruffian. Ruffian lets you dance around 4m-10m range with its shots so I took that.

I can't remember how I played my Operative back a few years ago... I think I played an annoyingly stealthy healer in PVP lol.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Too many silly punchy animations with a Scrapper, about same amount of shotgun attacks as a Ruffian. Ruffian lets you dance around 4m-10m range with its shots so I took that.

I can't remember how I played my Operative back a few years ago... I think I played an annoyingly stealthy healer in PVP lol.
that concealment burst though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg7nqcNGBtU
the dot spec is too slow imo, you want to gank nubs at max velocity

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
that concealment burst though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg7nqcNGBtU
the dot spec is too slow imo, you want to gank nubs at max velocity
I picked DoT spec is for leveling, and also because I played Operative before and I am pretty sure I did a very stealth-based build. Dunno if I wanna do any PVP this time around, just wanna see the story(-ies). Edit: I highly doubt I'll do any endgame either.

Also my PVP style is to be as annoying as fuck rather than kill lol. More like stealthing up (as Assassin or Operative) and coming out of nowhere to assist/CC/knockback when the opponent feels safe. In Warhammer Online my favorite thing to do was to knock people off cliffs.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
BTW apparently I'm the guildmaster of the Codex guild on Red Eclipse. Lol. Man that was a long time ago, and man was I high when I played back then.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
When's the expansion? I got a mothballed operative ready to faceroll through a biowaru romance

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom