Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I really enjoyed playing the Trooper. It was fun all the way through... the revenge stuff in Chapter 1, humiliating the Cathar companion at every opportunity, backchatting Garza, pissing people off, chatting shit with Tanno Vik. My character was in it for the violence and the credits.

And yeah, that Senator bit was fucking amazing and one of the best parts of the entire game for me.
I was too busy with the Republic version of HK47.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I hope you embraced the emoshunal engaging romance Sgt. Suckso offers, so you can enjoy the meaningful C&C that follows late--- aahaha just kidding, it has absolutly no consequence once the moral dilemma dialog is over. The character is put on a bus and you get a mail. Don't get your hopes up.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I hope you embraced the emoshunal engaging romance Sgt. Suckso offers, so you can enjoy the meaningful C&C that follows late--- aahaha just kidding, it has absolutly no consequence once the moral dilemma dialog is over. The character is put on a bus and you get a mail. Don't get your hopes up.
Nah I had to stick with Forex. <3

Ok we need 1 mil more creds to open up the last room in the stronghold. Then we can fill everything up and get 100%!!!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
We have a GTN in the stronghold now, so no more running to the fleet.

But goddamn it someone craft some better rugs.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
No Wookie pelt????

Only Wampa :)

All rugs besides basic ones are for $$. Probably could be found at GTN at inflated prices too.
Ugh.

Maybe after we unlock the last room, we'll spend 1 mil for the wampa rug.

Nah forget the blue rugs. The rugs are so tiny, and there aren't enough slots, so you can't actually cover a floor.. you just use it as a placemat.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
5nurud.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
After years of knowing beyond any doubt that this game is absolute shit and a WoW clone, it came to my attention that you don't have to install Origin spyware in order to try it for free, so I decided to check it out, mainly to evaluate the voiceovers Bioware spent so much money on.

Firstly—I'm touching on this first because it's very noticeable at first blush—TOR seems to draw most of its visual inspiration from the prequels and cartoons, and only a precious little from the original trilogy. The art design is noticeably cartoon-y (though nowhere near as much as the TV cartoons), characters' faces are slightly caricatured, their hands are disproportionately large, colors are bright and saturated, and objects, scenery, et cetera are rather stylized. I began the game as a Jedi Consular, and immediately noticed that the lightsaber animations are awkward and, for lack of a better term, low-fidelity. They don't capture the feel of the fight choreography seen in any of the movies, or even KotOR for that matter.

Needless to say, this is pure decline. Speeders, ships, creatures, buildings, devices, clothing, it all looks like it's straight from the prequels and cartoons. Ideally, the art design would be strictly based on the original trilogy and KotOR, done in a realistic style, and the lightsaber animations should faithfully evoke the choreography seen in the movies. How am I supposed to LARP a Jedi if I feel as though I'm playing an aircraft traffic marshal? Side note: Even blaster and engine sounds are closer to the prequels than to the originals.

That said, technologically the graphics are incredibly sharp and well done, and on my beastly computer the game ran at a smooth G-Synced 144 FPS on ultra settings.

Now for the questing. The voiceovers are actually incredibly well done, although I found that the choice of actors and tone for certain characterizations were way off. For example, some Jedi Masters are far too emotional, earnest, and animated. Not everything needs to pretend at being high drama, folks. Some tranquility and stoicism every once in a while can go a long way. The real trouble with questing though is that despite the high-quality voice acting, the dialog "choices" (there are always three, they're always short, and sometimes don't resemble what the character will actually say) don't matter or change anything at all. There's no C&C to be found here. This is a Bioware game through and through, except even more so—you can be a saint, a demon, or [Flirt]. In the rare cases when your dialog choices matter, it's only to get Light Side/Dark Side points. Note, this is still far better than your typical WoW clone shovelware questing, but it's not a selling point unless you just love hearing talented voice actors.

As both a story and a gameplay activity, questing is 100% linear. You go to the questgiver, obtain your quest to activate five widgets or kill some enemy operatives to loot quest items, then trudge through linear corridors to your quest area to accomplish those tasks. You do this for the entire game, as near as I can tell, until each class story is finished, after which I presume the game has no real story to speak of and becomes an instance/raid queue gear treadmill like WoW. What you end up with, then, is a four-hour-long cutscene with expensive voice acting, interspersed with standard MMORPG grinding. Side note: The amount of trudging you have to do to get from quest area to quest area, even with quick travel and a speeder, is absolutely nuts.

Now, onto the F2P system. It is, by far, the worst F2P system I've ever seen in this sort of game, although I tend to avoid F2P games as much as possible, so I'm not familiar with the most egregious of them. If you haven't paid into this game, almost everything is restricted or locked in some way. Short list off the top of my head: You can't use the mail system; you can't use sprinting and have to walk slowly until your character is level 10; your quick travel cooldowns are far higher; every item costs 25% more at vendors; you only get two character slots; only 1 crafting/gathering skill per character; can't access storage; and most petty of all, 1.) you only get two skill bars, and 2.) you can't check the box to hide your helmet. That's right, the F2P restrictions are so all-pervasive and petty that you can't even hide your helmet. That's a new one on me.

The Cartel Coins shop is... well, it's pretty bad. I've been playing long enough to figure out how it works. Most of the stuff sold there is largely cosmetic (although some confers very significant conveniences or advantages), but you have to gamble on random packs with randomized contents to get access to most of the cosmetics on sale, especially new cosmetics. A limited number of non-randomized armor sets, mounts, and pets are available to buy directly, but if you want the good stuff (or to sell that good stuff on the auction house for fast credits), you have to buy and open lots of these packs and hope for the best. A non-randomized armor set costs $9-10 worth of Cartel Coins.

Although I'm ashamed to admit it, I eventually paid $15 for a sub and forged ahead. This granted me a FREE LEVEL 60 CHARACTER TOKEN!, so I did some research and created a Republic Commando, then hiked on over to a few credit farming spots I learned about by consulting the ol' Google, in order to afford a sea-green lightsaber crystal for my Consular and feel like a special snowflake. As it turns out, the good credit farming spots are filled with other players all farming the same mobs I intended to farm. I've gotta say, that does bring back memories of old-school MMOs I played back when in which you had to fight with other players just to find a good spot to grind, or to claim some boss. I've read that there are some farm-able instanced Heroic missions, so I might try that out.

My Consular's level 24 and it's already extremely repetitive, because although it's been many years since I've played a theme park MMO, this is far from my first rodeo and post-WoW theme parks all end up being pretty much the same. I haven't played in a couple of days and will probably be canceling my subscription soon so that I don't forget.

All that being said, clearly there are some TOR lovers in this thread, and I'm wondering what it is you see in this game or why you enjoy it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
All that being said, clearly there are some TOR lovers in this thread, and I'm wondering what it is you see in this game or why you enjoy it.
I'm Star Wars fanboy.

That's about it.

You're right in everything you say.

(Though Consular and Trooper are the worst storylines. If you have a sub now you should try Agent, it might make it enjoyable-ish for you. It's the "best" storyline out of all, so don't try the rest either.)

Edit: I only barely skimmed the rest of your post because I knew it was all true LOL

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm Star Wars fanboy.

That's about it.

I get the Star Wars bug once every few years or so, and completely forget about it the rest of the time. I suppose it has something to do with the buzz surrounding the new movie reminding me that Star Wars exists. I do very much enjoy the concept of classic Jedi.

For me, the first major sign that something was amiss in TOR was on the very first planet during the Martial Forge quest. A Jedi shouldn't need some massive machine's assistance in assembling his first lightsaber. Although it was never shown in any of the movies, it's basically a given that after gathering the components, he meditates and uses the Force to "psychokinetically" assemble the weapon.

9852cff294.png

Also, I forgot to mention: I realize this game is an MMO, but huge, flashy special effects accompanying almost every Force power is an improper representation of the Force (with obvious exceptions, such as Force lightning). KotOR and KotOR 2 used some fairly minimal special effects as visual aids, but TOR goes way overboard in most cases.

Another thing I forgot to mention: There are no fucking skill trees in this game! You choose a class, a specialization, one of three disciplines, and get a few "Utility" points to spend (most seem to be no-brainers, so not a lot of choice there, either). I read that there were skill trees once, but that they were removed for balance purposes. That's a major blow as well, because you have little choice in customizing your character apart from very broad decisions.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
. A Jedi shouldn't need some massive machine's assistance in assembling his first lightsaber. .

I'm not a SW expert but, in KOTOR, you'd assemble or modify lightsabers in workbenches and you'd hear tinkering going on. Seemed more mechanical than magical.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm not a SW expert but, in KOTOR, you'd assemble or modify lightsabers in workbenches and you'd hear tinkering going on. Seemed more mechanical than magical.

Yeah, allowances must be made due to it being a game, especially given the limitations of that engine.

However, TOR is a Fully Voiced® Cinematic Experience™, so the creation of the lightsaber is in no way abstracted. In fact, they even show all the parts snapping together in midair, while the Jedi character meditates, as it should be... except that a large machine's help is required for some reason, and also there's a massive halo of golden light surrounding the Jedi as he meditates. Small details can make a difference. Why require the machine? It doesn't jibe with Star Wars lore. Why have the halo of golden light? Meditation in TOR is used only in cutscenes, as NPC flavor animations, and as an emote/way to quickly regenerate health outside combat.

There are Jedi at the Jedi temple kneeling here and there with bigass golden halos streaming off their bodies. Why?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
For me, the first major sign that something was amiss in TOR was on the very first planet during the Martial Forge quest. A Jedi shouldn't need some massive machine's assistance in assembling his first lightsaber. Although it was never shown in any of the movies, it's basically a given that after gathering the components, he meditates and uses the Force to "psychokinetically" assemble the weapon.
As a Sith Warrior you just steal a lightsaber from a tomb. :lol:

JasonNH

Augur

I came for the swtor experience. I stayed because I enjoy the people with whom I play it now. I mostly invest my time in mediocre (not hard core) progression raiding and some casual grouping with friends. I don't think it's got much left in the tank for me though with the direction they're moving. Doing story content with a friend sucks as soon as you get to Shadow of Revan and they're not investing in end game.

hakuroshi

Augur
I am not really a SW fanboy, but it definitely hold a lot of attraction as a setting to me. I came to swtor for interactive movie experience which I found relatively nicely done in later BW games like ME and (yes) DA2. I fully intend to quit after completion of all storylines. Unfortunately I got stuck with OCD completionism and trying to total max crafting and outfitting stronghold. So it takes much longer then planned.
The game also has some good visuals. Initially I found Coruscant pretty well done. Other planets seem more generic. Questing is shit but cutscenes are good for what I wanted from them.

hakuroshi

Augur
Huh... Suddenly Conquest Objective fulfilled happened for 2 crafters, got some java junk and cash. WTF? Did not know I participated in any Conquests :)

Well, in Consular story the Forge is some ancient secret, the origin of lightsaber crafting, and you make "the last one" which supposed to be unique (but isn't). Dubious but OK. But as a Knight you just go there to craft a lightsaber without much fuss. That makes no sense.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Another thing I forgot to mention: There are no fucking skill trees in this game! You choose a class, a specialization, one of three disciplines, and get a few "Utility" points to spend (most seem to be no-brainers, so not a lot of choice there, either). I read that there were skill trees once, but that they were removed for balance purposes. That's a major blow as well, because you have little choice in customizing your character apart from very broad decisions.
The game has been massively dumbed down over the years, to make it as easy as possible for prospective customers to enter. To my surprise they haven't tried releasing an Xbone version to make the most of it.
The only thing missing now to put the final nail on the coffin of what little commitment to a class is left, would be changing advanced classes on the fly.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
That said, technologically the graphics are incredibly sharp and well done, and on my beastly computer the game ran at a smooth G-Synced 144 FPS on ultra settings.
I'm interested in your PC specs because I have a GTX980 ti and the game kinda runs like shit even on low settings (ran way better on my old GTX580)

Another thing I forgot to mention: There are no fucking skill trees in this game! You choose a class, a specialization, one of three disciplines, and get a few "Utility" points to spend
The result of continued dumbing down (since 3.0), once upon a time there were skill trees and making workable hybrids was fun

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom