Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Bliblablubb

Arcane
At least SWTOR's trailers are better Star Wars movies than anything Lucas/Disney have been shitting out in the last decades. You gotta give them credit for that. :salute:

I have to say, I didn't think it would be profitable for them to make expansion content for this game with all the branching story possibilities and 16 VAs to record lines from not even counting companion dialog. So I guess it's impressive that SWTOR has managed to pull off so many of these expansions. Almost makes me consider giving it another try.

It's more of a problem because they saddled themselves with the whole full VA deal which I imagine to be a huge production cost. Expansions themselves are actually really short. Something that really became obvious with the last one released in episodes where you'd get maybe an hour out of each episode before waiting for the next one. And they're once again taking after that format because it's obvious only people who are in it for the story are still playing the game. I wonder if they'll remember this game is still an MMORPG this time.
They were already trying to cut corners with the KOTFE release, everything outside the episodes had a silent protagonist. Official it was for the "classic KOTOR feeling", but of course it meant "hey, at least we can save the money for 16 voice actors here!"
And considering how many sheeple kept their subs active for those tiny episodes it does pay off in the end.

This trailer alone was most likely in the 6 digits club again... quite a hefty investment unless they get support from some "general Star Wars brand awareness" fund...

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I love the writing in this, so bad it's good cheese. Playing with a friend, haven't laughed so hard for a while. e.g.

Deep in space on some Empire ship.
Commander "If we don't take damage but manage to damage them, we can win!"

I can see how he got the job :lol::lol: tactical genius.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I love the writing in this, so bad it's good cheese. Playing with a friend, haven't laughed so hard for a while. e.g.

Deep in space on some Empire ship.
Commander "If we don't take damage but manage to damage them, we can win!"

I can see how he got the job :lol::lol: tactical genius.

Yeah I watched a few bits of LPs from the expansion and story seems pretty fun tbh.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
You haven't seen Darth Marr's tactical genius yet: in the intro for the KOTFE expansion you get some "Mylord, we have lost our XYZ deflector", him ordering evasive maneuvers and the cutscene showing his ship turning exactly that side towards the enemy fire...

Probably just a fuck up by the programmers, but it ruins the moment and makes everyone's bro4life a laughing stock. :argh:

Otherwise the KOTFE story is actually pretty good, even tho they switch to "keep subbers hooked with minimal content" mode after a while and a weak "to be continued" open ending.
Still, I plan on buying one month when the next expansion arrives, so I can wrap up the old one (from when they fixed the bug where ex-subbers had access to new episodes) and see the good parts of the new one. Should be worth the meager 15 bucks.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
At least SWTOR's trailers are better Star Wars movies than anything Lucas/Disney have been shitting out in the last decades. You gotta give them credit for that. :salute:
They're shit compared to the Clone Wars show.

Unless you're talking about animation, to which I do agree.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Aahaha, Bioware once again delivers with their lack of quality control.
Players wrapping up the old KOTFE content after the new 5.0 update, so they can start the new stuff, are stuck during the fight with Arcann. Literally.

The irony is: the universal workaround depends on a minor choice players did hours ago. MEANINGFUL C&C IN A BIOWARE GAEM! :hahano:

Technically you have to avoid last scripted bossfight phase and kill him with a reflect ability (while is "invulnerable"), provide by your weapon. IF you had Darth Bro help you build it. Or at least him AND Satele.
If you had only her help you? Sucks to be you.

Serves you right for choosing a hoe over your bro. :obviously:

Deleted member 7219

Aahaha, Bioware once again delivers with their lack of quality control.
Players wrapping up the old KOTFE content after the new 5.0 update, so they can start the new stuff, are stuck during the fight with Arcann. Literally.

The irony is: the universal workaround depends on a minor choice players did hours ago. MEANINGFUL C&C IN A BIOWARE GAEM! :hahano:

Technically you have to avoid last scripted bossfight phase and kill him with a reflect ability (while is "invulnerable"), provide by your weapon. IF you had Darth Bro help you build it. Or at least him AND Satele.
If you had only her help you? Sucks to be you.

Serves you right for choosing a hoe over your bro. :obviously:

I can't even remember the ending of the game. I remember it was disappointing, but nothing else.

I think I told Darth Bro and Satele to fuck off. I tried killing Satele but the game was like, "LOL NO!"

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The KOTET expansion is kinda good-ish, like the early KOTFE episodes before they started selling short cashgrabs to keep people subbing. They tried to remove the endless waves of enemies (tried being the operative word) and added some mech riding phases for variaton.
The story around SCORPIO was far better done than Vaylen the scoobydoo villain throwing a temper tantrum for the 10th time.
Darksiders can kill a lot of companions (bye Koth!), even better: you get to punch (and gut) the annoying twilek chancelor, that pissed me off years ago. :argh:That alone was worth the 12 shekels.
You can also not prevent the death of one companion, the tears of players investing a fuckton of gifts into that one taste sooo sweet...

The game outside the story seems to have turned into an endless equipment gamble grind I didn't even bother thinking about, I never planned on sticking around. I got my moneyz worth for playing half of KOTFE and KOTET, giving my toon's story final closure.

Kneel to your supreme empress Codexia bitches! :salute:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I wonder what's left to milk out of this fucking retarded secret empire storyline...

Also what other threat they can pull out of their asses and half ass into another single player mmo expansion.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The ending of KOTET is pretty much a finger hovering over the reset button. Last cutscene says the Republic is preparing for war again, the NiuSith empire will not stand idle either. Alliance members will probably return to their real faction and the eternal fleet will be taken from you for spoiler reasons.

Whatever expansion they plan next could start with you fleeing from the former eternal empire and never mention it again.

It's Bioware, none of your choices will ever matter. Back to square one, only with different NPCs and shittier looking armor. :salute:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
TBH, having the Eternal Empire never ever mentioned again would be too good to hope for. I hate this affront to SW lore so strongly you cannot even imagine.

The only problem with making any new content split between the two existing factions is the cost of voice acting.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I liked the eternal empire scenario for a while, even tho (or because?) it felt very Mass Effect at times. Bringing back old companions for one little episode was just a hollow bone, and recycling Jack's origin in a secluded asylum didn't make it better...

Yeah, fun for while, but it's time to let it go. Forever. The lack of distinction between light and dark side of the force there completly breaks with one of the main pillars of Star Wars lore.

And those dark/light choices there... forgive Arcann for killing thousands of peoples for the lulz? Yeah sure, they were nameless after all, welcome back bro! Sheesh, I think I would have picked dark all the time even with my saint Jedi. I almost expected a light side choice to hug things out with Vaylen as well.

Even becoming the empress wasn't the dark side choice it implies. I am still the benevolent dark underlord caring for my subjects. And light side? Am I supposed to leave a bunch of hedonistic couchpotatos in charge of the largest fleet of the galaxy? They have been ruled by an emperor forever, while the "rebel leader" was busy planning parties all day. There was no council or even admirals, everything is controlled by the throne. Nobody there has any governing skils at all, and how could you even challenge the one person/chancellor controling the fleet and troops, if he/she/it decides to go dictator? Nope, ENFORCING DEMOCRACY IS GOOD!

Pleeeease, making it a democracy should have been the dark side option. And be canon, as they all ended up blowing themselves up by incompetence.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Huh? There was a choice to leave the Eteretarded Fleet in the hands of Zakuulans? I thought you're forced to control it either way, as a tyrant or as a peackeeper? Lol, letting them play with that hot potato by themselves would have been epic.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Not sure if you completely relinquish control of it, but the throne room on Odessan becomes some kind of magic round table instead. So I assume it's controlled by a majority of votes or by one "admiral" bowing to their eternal wisdom. They could still overrule you with their bullshit ideas if you are that person.

The dork side option wasn't even tyrant. I wish it was. Just... less cheering during the speech.

And the whole renaming Zakuul in "Alliance something" was stupid to begin with, aside from those alliance guys hightailing back to pub/imp now that the common enemy is gone. It's also a great gesture to the Zakuulians: "we force democracy on you and remove your cultural identity. Enjoy your freedom!" :salute:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Wellp, it is only logical then, that I decided the storyline is not worthy of my main character and did it only on an alt. In my personal (safe space) Marr is still leading the Sith Empire in a duumvirate with Nox, lording it over the rest of the Council, while all of the Zakuul crap never really happened.

Deleted member 7219

I think the only thing that would make me resub to play Eternal Throne is if they brought back my Sith Warrior apprentice.

That was a nice bit of ego-stroking, being able to bind a companion to my will and make her swear her never-ending loyalty to me. And I think she was the only companion in the entire game who you could do such a thing with. As a proud storyfag myself, I wanted to rule the galaxy with her as my apprentice (fat chance of being able to do that in an MMO, but since you can play SWTOR completely solo, that's how I was starting to treat the story).

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Technically, most of the Inquisitor's companions swear eternal allegiance to you, including your proper Sith Apprentice. As Warrior, the beast-thing swears eternal loyalty, and I think so does Pierce.

Deleted member 7219

Technically, most of the Inquisitor's companions swear eternal allegiance to you, including your proper Sith Apprentice. As Warrior, the beast-thing swears eternal loyalty, and I think so does Pierce.

What I meant was also choosing which way her character would develop - light side or dark side.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Technically, most of the Inquisitor's companions swear eternal allegiance to you, including your proper Sith Apprentice.
And technically I would sleep with my eyes open when anyone of them is in the same room. They just follow you because you are the big head honcho right now. The bonehead will stab you in the back the moment he sees an opening, Khem Val will run off and devour the galaxy if you don't feed him enough (and he manages to break free). The pirate wil leave you once he finds a better gig, Talos is a relic nerd, and the clownfish... she's a mess, the less said about her the better. Didn't really miss any of them.

As for the warrior:
I thought when Vette came back it would be "Blues Sister reloaded", but meh, she found a better gig with the horny guy and treats you like a distant relative. Little girl grew up so fast...:cry:
Not sure how Jaesa would fit in anyway. LS Jaesa would have most likely been killed saving a whale somwhere, while DS Jaesa.. I mean she was pretty cool offering to create a legacy with me, but I have that nagging suspicion that crazy womyn would have eaten mah babbies at some point...

At least Pierce is still a bro. :salute:
And he was never mentioned again after recruting. :argh:

It was obviously to cut costs. How many lines did Vette have in that mission anyway? Probably less then on Korriban.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom