Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starbound: 'Spiritual' successor to Terraria

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Depends on if "Day 1" will ever come, which doesn't seem to be the case even for Starbound.

This is a kick in the teeth for many Starbound players, whom are far more interested in seeing "their" game being at least brought to 1.0 release state, rather than seeing this tiny group of egotistical tryhards blowing their time and energy across multiple projects.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
...so the current plan is to make our development toolset available shortly after the game is released.

In other words, never.

How to develop crowdfunded indie games in 2014:

1. see someone else's popular game idea
  2. add quasi-creative twist
  3. beg for thousands or millions of dollars
  4. sort of finish half the game's promised features
  5. get lazy, release token updates for about a year
  6. reveal second project funded with money donated in good faith toward development of the first game
  7. unfinished first game eventually receives fraudulent 1.0 label and is quietly forgotten
  8. repeat

Well, someone had to kill the crowdfunding "revival," which is looking more and more like the freak postmortem neuroelectric muscle spasms of a dead carcass than an actual revival.

Broken Age, indeed. This age is broken, and hipsters and washed-up '90s game devs are nothing more than fraudulent Frankensteins.

Multi-headed Cow

Loaded up the beta of the super patch and started a server and played a few hours co-op. Wanted to kill myself after. It seems mildly faster to do shit than before, but they're still doing the normal Starbound thing of making you grind an assload of garbage and do stupid quests before you can just buzz around exploring and having space adventures. Quests aren't shared so even if you're in a party with someone, EVERYONE needs the resources and craft their own copy of whatever. So spending hours finding copper (While finding enough gold and iron to build a palace) to advance your goddamn quests will about kill you. Pickaxes still break in like 10 seconds of use. There are now some slow-ass NPC given quests that have you doing stupid shit like collecting coffee and bugs, which you apparently have to do to get the recipes required to grind more fucking materials to build new crafting stations to build new gear to get space rocks to rebuild your FTL engine.

Fuck Starbound. GLORIOUS GAME OF SPACE ADVENTURE*

*after 15 hours of pawing in the dirt and getting coffee for npcs

Perkel

Arcane
Terraria is for fags. I'd rather fly my dickbutt nazi spaceship and cleanse universe from apes and humans than play Terraria.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'll admit that the concept of Starbound sounds much better than Terraria. But at least Terraria is here, fully functional and with more updates incoming.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Don't know if some of you people are trolling or not.
If you prefer Starbound to Terraria you are mentally handicapped. Simple as that.

Starbound has not even half the content Terraria has.
The developers add meaningless shit instead trying to improve the game.

Starbound, as a concept, is worlds better than Terraria. If they would have delivered nobody would talk about Terraria anymore.
But they didn't.
Even now the game lacks basic stuff like a reason to build something on a planet.
This may change with 1.0, but right now? Have fun flying around in your spaceship, visiting randomly generated planets that have zero to offer.

Seriously, do people find that fun?
Great, I'm on planet 513, oh, time to dig down into the underworld where nothing special is waiting for me, ah, this planet has stupid looking trees, time to go to planet 514 instead!
Oh Starbound is great, I love how I can totally role-play my furry.

Last edited:

Bahamut

Arcane
The developers add meaningless shit instead trying to improve the game.
alpaca2.png

Perkel

Arcane
Started new world with latest nightly. Few months ago i was trying non beta only stuff which was like a year old.

Holy shit that game changed a bit.

First of there is actual tutorial story that gives you reason to go on different planets.
Quests that will give you ability to unlock new recipes,tech and stuff.

They upgraded their weapon system so now you can actually target things with your sword and stuff. You can take liquids and there is like shit ton of different things on planets.

I mean i found desert with water that heals !. Bottle that shit up and you have health potions.

I don't know if customizable ship mods work now as ship is heavily scripted to tutorial quest.

Also quest missions are actually now a thing. Which means that you need to go past sometimes very long dungeons which were handcrafted. Finding keys and stuff.

Overall incline.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Small incline, when you think about that this stuff doesn't really change anything fundamental.
You can upgrade your ship after I think the second "dungeon" or so, no need for ship mods.

But still...
Progress system is still shit, do that, craft this, kill that boss so you can progress to the next "tier" and then do the same again.
Building stuff serves zero purpose, same with farming and everything else building/base related.
Random generated enemies are still the same. They look goofy, do all the same stuff and always have the same HP.
Ranged combat is still inferior, since you need "energy" for shooting and using your abilities.

Also what kind of fucking retard thought this "portal to outpost" was a good idea? You need to be really stupid to think it is fun to always do the same shit if you want to get back to it.
They should add a goddamn button "warp to outpost" or something instead, like every normal person would have done in the first place.
Fly to portal, beam down, walk up, press button to get ported, walk to outpost for 20 seconds, accept quest.
Now you can: log out and log back in to start in your ship OR you walk back for 20 seconds, walk up, press the portal button to get beamed back, then beam up to your ship.

Seriously, the devs are imbeciles.
I bet this was a group of friends that thought: "Hey, making a game is easy, we are all programmers and artists! Every dolt can design a game so we do not need a person that tells us what is good and what is not."

My head hurts.
I really wanted Starbound to succeed, but I have never seen more incapable people making a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom